Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 02:22 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,647,821 times

Advertisements

People say dating is a numbers game, that you have to meet a lot of wrong people before you meet the right one. After a while, though, you can't help but notice certain patterns. Maybe all the lawyers you date are workaholics. Or maybe all women you meet over 40 are overweight. Likewise, maybe someone you meet has a bias against you. Maybe you're in sales and every person they've met in sales was high strung so they assume you are too. Or maybe they think all people in your age group are selfish and immature so you must be as well. I'm just curious to hear about people's experiences. Were you the victim or the one guilty of being biased and in what way? I'm not really looking for the big issues like race or religion. I'm more curious to hear about the ones you don't hear about as much or at least the ones that don't seem as offensive. Also, did you get past your bias and how? If you were the victim, were you able to convince the other person you were different?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 02:31 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,790,307 times
I've been on the receiving end of bias before. Being in the military sometimes worked against me, depending on the woman. Being divorced also came with some stigmatisms. Working in nightclubs was another one. Not once did I ever try to bring someone around to my way of thinking. It wasn't worth the energy and effort if they couldn't accept me for me.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:33 PM

471 posts, read 1,043,164 times
I'm pretty confident in myself and not too shabby looking either. I am biased for being awesome.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:08 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,647,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john-ever-learning View Post
I'm pretty confident in myself and not too shabby looking either. I am biased for being awesome.
And modest.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:25 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,047,026 times
Well, at one time in my life, I was a fat girl. Does that count?

I'd say that goes beyond bias to complete anathema. I couldn't get a date to save my life....... Even the short, fat, bald, ugly guys weren't interested.

I haven't been the fat girl for quite a while. But I learned a lot from the experience.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:26 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,983,856 times
Never been a person who had bias.
Have had women in the past comment on my race/age/personal interests and generalize me because of them.
It was not worth my time to try to convince them otherwise.
Why waste energy doing that when I could just go up to another prospect who might have no initial issues with who I am.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:02 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,386,950 times
A person who stereotypes is not somebody I would be interested in anyhow.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:15 PM

548 posts, read 1,252,284 times
Absolutetly. I'm tall and slim, so I think than some men automatically think that I'm high maintenanced.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:26 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,255,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
People say dating is a numbers game, that you have to meet a lot of wrong people before you meet the right one. After a while, though, you can't help but notice certain patterns. Maybe all the lawyers you date are workaholics. Or maybe all women you meet over 40 are overweight. Likewise, maybe someone you meet has a bias against you. Maybe you're in sales and every person they've met in sales was high strung so they assume you are too. Or maybe they think all people in your age group are selfish and immature so you must be as well. I'm just curious to hear about people's experiences. Were you the victim or the one guilty of being biased and in what way? I'm not really looking for the big issues like race or religion. I'm more curious to hear about the ones you don't hear about as much or at least the ones that don't seem as offensive. Also, did you get past your bias and how? If you were the victim, were you able to convince the other person you were different?
I think that everyone knows why many women are bias towards me and they will always be. That will never change the fact that I will always be me no matter what. My appearance and build usually work in my favor to get the initial attraction going but it never lasts. I am always open to a new kind of women, yet they rarely are to me. Most go along with it for a while but deep down they are intimidated by it and it makes them feel uncomfortable. I am a mans man and that is all there is to it. If you wanted some kind of wuss or pretty boy why did you even waste both of our time? I just keep hanging in there in hopes that someone will accept me for who I am and be truthful about it. 40 years ago guys like me would have no problems getting women. The modern women seem to like their men watered down a little, I guess? Not all of them are like this, not even close but I haven't been fortunate to run into a single available one yet. I'm still looking and refuse to give up hope. Rugged

Old 03-29-2010, 09:11 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,553,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RUGGED4YOU View Post
I think that everyone knows why many women are bias towards me and they will always be.
I don't. Why are they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships