Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 12:41 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,666,667 times

Advertisements

i think you missed the point. its not that its a mere preference, but its a "preference" based on unfounded and ignorant beliefs. mainly that being with some one black "taints" you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorrans View Post
I'm pitch dark black, blacker than black, and I honestly could not care less about frivolous stuff like this. I would go as far as saying it's not racist. It's preference those white men have. Just like women have a preference to not want to be with a man who's been with other men in his past even though he's NOT gay, bi at a push. That doesn't necessarily mean women hate gay men. They just don't want a man who has participated gay activities in his past.

I know this thread won't last, but I will just say this one last thing. The world is full of politically correct bellends and people are constantly having to tip-toe and walk on eggshells in order to appease the majority. If a white man do not want to be with a woman who has been with a black man before, that is his choice. His reasons may be absolutely ridiculous, but there are 100's of other ridiculous deal breakers that I read on here everyday.

I love women equally. I don't give them preferential treatment. I love them all

Old 03-30-2010, 12:46 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,983,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
Meh, I don't think not being attracted to a certain type of person makes you racist, but to find someone very attractive and not date them because THEY had been with someone you consider undesirable is just weird.
To say that someone is 'tainted' because they have been with another human being at some point in the past is sad and shows a high level of insecurity and major control issues.

I think my husband casually dated a black girl in the past - I cannot imagine considering him 'tainted' because he went out with her. It's just so bizarre.
I concur.
If the person uses words like 'tainted' then I see it as just plain insecurity.
Which racism is just a nother form of.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:48 PM

2,618 posts, read 6,163,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorrans View Post
OK, I'm gonna play devils advocate here. Are those guys any different to a bunch of women sitting around the table saying they don't want a man who has been with other men. Does that mean they hate gays?

People have the right to feel and think as they do about gays, blacks, aliens, Muslims, AND at the same time those minority groups have the right to think and feel about them as they do, also.

The way I see it is, I may hate and despise someone, for whatever reason, but if you try to force me to think otherwise than they do, I'll take your tyrannous, oppressive head and rip it off.

I'm not making excuses for those guys. I'm black, so they probably hate me too and think I'm an HIV tainted monkey, but that's their right. I have absolutely no problems with that. And people shouldn't jump up with their knee-jerk morally outraged actions/comments. People shouldn't be crucified for thoughts and emotions, regardless of what they may be. Actions, Yes, thoughts and emotions, No.
I agree, people have the right to have a racist mindset, and in all honesty, anyone who says they are not one single bit racist they are lying to you and themselves. We all have preconceived notions about people of other races and make judgements on them, whether you're going as far as turning down an applicant for being a different color (illegal) or clutching your purse a little tigher as you walk by a minority on the the street (legal). It's the discrimination on higher levels that are really the only ones that matter and should be of concern.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:53 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Hi DennyCrane,

Beep. "white woman" would be irrelevant if race was not involved. Its double speak. I think rationally, not politically. I am not shouting anything or being sensitive about anything that I am aware. I just don't care about being politically correct when I know what is actually true. The complaint comes form the perceived injured parties of sexual competition. Its obvious.
It sounds like you can't get past the fact that she described the other woman as white. In your mind, that makes her statement racist. Sorry, but it doesn't. That's not being PC. What you fail to grasp is the woman is taking issue with her husband dumping her for a woman he thinks has more value than her. In this case, how he measures that value is in part based on race. Her drawing attention to that doesn't make her a racist. I stand by my previous assessment, that you're hypersensitive and seeing racism where it doesn't exist and then labeling anyone who doesn't agree with you as being PC.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:01 PM

2,618 posts, read 6,163,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYchi View Post
The solution to this problem is to start looking at people as individuals and not groups, but we many never get to that point. It's called groupthink.
Ummm, I think that "groupthink" refers to people in a group who are discussing a topic, and everyone just agrees with one solution because they don't want to be the standout or look unpopular...

Wikipedia says: Groupthink is a type of thought exhibited by group members who try to minimize conflict and reach consensus without critically testing, analyzing, and evaluating ideas. Individual creativity, uniqueness, and independent thinking are lost in the pursuit of group cohesiveness, as are the advantages of reasonable balance in choice and thought that might normally be obtained by making decisions as a group.[1] During groupthink, members of the group avoid promoting viewpoints outside the comfort zone of consensus thinking. A variety of motives for this may exist such as a desire to avoid being seen as foolish, or a desire to avoid embarrassing or angering other members of the group. Groupthink may cause groups to make hasty, irrational decisions, where individual doubts are set aside, for fear of upsetting the group’s balance. The term is frequently used pejoratively, with hindsight.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:03 PM

548 posts, read 1,251,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
Ummm, I think that "groupthink" refers to people in a group who are discussing a topic, and everyone just agrees with one solution because they don't want to be the standout or look unpopular...

Wikipedia says: Groupthink is a type of thought exhibited by group members who try to minimize conflict and reach consensus without critically testing, analyzing, and evaluating ideas. Individual creativity, uniqueness, and independent thinking are lost in the pursuit of group cohesiveness, as are the advantages of reasonable balance in choice and thought that might normally be obtained by making decisions as a group.[1] During groupthink, members of the group avoid promoting viewpoints outside the comfort zone of consensus thinking. A variety of motives for this may exist such as a desire to avoid being seen as foolish, or a desire to avoid embarrassing or angering other members of the group. Groupthink may cause groups to make hasty, irrational decisions, where individual doubts are set aside, for fear of upsetting the group’s balance. The term is frequently used pejoratively, with hindsight.

Ummmm, this is their attitude, this is what creates a lot of racist attitudes believe it or not.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:13 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
<grabs pop corn>

<munches>

Old 03-30-2010, 01:14 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYchi View Post
The solution to this problem is to start looking at people as individuals and not groups, but we many never get to that point. It's called groupthink.
I agree with cdubs. This is not groupthink. What you're describing here is generalization.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:35 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
It sounds like you can't get past the fact that she described the other woman as white. In your mind, that makes her statement racist. Sorry, but it doesn't. That's not being PC. What you fail to grasp is the woman is taking issue with her husband dumping her for a woman he thinks has more value than her. In this case, how he measures that value is in part based on race. Her drawing attention to that doesn't make her a racist. I stand by my previous assessment, that you're hypersensitive and seeing racism where it doesn't exist and then labeling anyone who doesn't agree with you as being PC.

"In my mind" mentioning white is about race? Would she say he is leaving her for a "black woman"? If you don't make good arguments, that is the reason why I don't agree with you; and you are just looking at dialog. The people who made that movie set up that dialog. I know exactly what it is about, and that they also needed to have PC slack on it.

I think I made my point about slicker, double babble. When you mention skin color, its about race. You can stand by your howling cockier spaniel and talk yourself into hearing a yodel if you like . I am not on my 5th sleepless night in a cage being sprayed down by a cold fire hose buddy. You are full of it.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:42 PM

11,761 posts, read 14,656,809 times
It's pretty simple, really: the people you were listening to are racists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships