Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 10:58 AM

2,013 posts, read 3,547,471 times

Advertisements

So how do you guys deal with people who offer you advice you didn't ask for? Especially annoying advice such how to raise your own kids or how you'll look so much better if you lose 10 pounds?

Do you tell them off or pretend to listen, smile politely and thank them?

Any specific stories to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 11:00 AM

930 posts, read 2,423,511 times
Unwanted advice is often the advice you desparately need.

Example: Yes honey that is great that he finally made parole. But he is poison for you.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:03 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
I agree w/the last post...depends on how you perceive the advise too..do you think it's meant to be hurtful?

Last edited by virgode; 04-01-2010 at 11:14 AM..

Old 04-01-2010, 11:03 AM

994 posts, read 1,682,000 times
I disagree with the poster above me. If you are nice and polite to this person pushing their advice into you..that will only encourage them to keep doing it in the future. I think a better approach would be to fake a few loud obnoxious burps.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:09 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,926,902 times
It depends who's giving it, and how much they mean to me.
If I like them ok I'll smile, and nod, while not listening.
If I don't like them, I'll make it obvious I'm not listening.

Also on the intent behind it.
If they're trying to help, see response #1 above.
If it's patronising, then see response #2, or, in extreme cases, response #3. Shove it up your ass !

Old 04-01-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beena View Post
I don't think so.

Example: my boss often tells me that I need to come out of my shell and relate to others more. This is being repeated too often to the point it's becoming very painful. I like to keep to myself and this has always been my character, and as long as job is done, why would anyone be bothered by my personality? I don't want to change because I'm very comfortable with myself this way and I'm not hurting anybody. Why can't people accept other people just the way they are and concentrate on things that matter?

Another example; my friend just started seeing someone for about a week now and yesterday she was telling me that during their conversation, she advised him to start eating healthy (true, he's a really big guy, but I think he already knows that) and even shared some dieting tips with him. I asked how the topic was brought up and she said she just thought he would be impressed if she showed some concern for him! I was speechless.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:20 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
I agree with bobman. I first decide how important the person is to me and whether they are trying to be helpful. If they are a close friend, I will listen. I may simply say "thank you" and forget it or I might even go "hmmm, interesting point" especially if I hadn't thought of things that way.

If, however, the person is simply being a buttinsky or know-it-all, I will curtly say, "yup, yup, thanks. I would not know what to do if it weren't for your helpful advice." (I have an extremely acerbic tone to my voice when I'm displeased.) On the otherhand, if they are someone whose opinion I value in its absence - and whose company is preferred when it's lacking, I will look them in the eyes and tell them that when I need their advice, I will call them. However, I don't have their phone number and don't need it, either.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
I agree w/the last post...depends on how you perceive the advise too..do you think it's meant to be hurtful?
In most cases, it's meant to help, but I find it very annoying if it's about the things I cannot change (like personality) or kids when they don't have any.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:22 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
This doesn't qualify as advice. It's not accepting someone for who and what they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLucky View Post
I don't think so.

Example: my boss often tells me that I need to come out of my shell and relate to others more. This is being repeated too often to the point it's becoming very painful. I like to keep to myself and this has always been my character, and as long as job is done, why would anyone be bothered by my personality? I don't want to change because I'm very comfortable with myself this way and I'm not hurting anybody. Why can't people accept other people just the way they are and concentrate on things that matter?

Another example; my friend just started seeing someone for about a week now and yesterday she was telling me that during their conversation, she advised him to start eating healthy (true, he's a really big guy, but I think he already knows that) and even shared some dieting tips with him. I asked how the topic was brought up and she said she just thought he would be impressed if she showed some concern for him! I was speechless.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:26 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beena View Post
But it's called "unwanted" advice, because it is...unwanted.

I have some additional phrases I use:

Who died and put you in charge?
If your advice is so worth my listening, why aren't you rich?

But my favorite is:

Omniscience is not your forte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships