Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 06:33 AM

645 posts, read 1,452,586 times

Advertisements

Surrounding yourself with successful people, you will become just as successful? I've always had people say to this to me, but I don't know how true this is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 06:38 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,386,950 times
No I don't.

I don't think positivity is the cause of success. It's hard work, guile, and luck.

645 posts, read 1,452,586 times
I agree Samston!!

25,901 posts, read 42,720,278 times
No, I don't believe that's a given. Sometimes good things will happen, sometimes they won't. Better circumstances can help people, absolutely they can--not that they will. What the person has inside is what is ultimately important.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:39 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,930,290 times
No. It might give you more opportunity, but it doesn't automatically make you successful.

We make our own luck in this world.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:12 AM

8,959 posts, read 20,385,036 times
Well, hold on a minute there! My last supervisor told me that he started playing golf so he could get closer to upper management on the job. To "kiss butt" or just know them better/be friends, I really don't know. I do know that it sure looked like it worked! He was a supervisor, but acted more like he owned the company. He would go to a local Driving Range for a couple of hours in the AM during the summer months and take his car in for an oil change also......with no upper management contacting him about anything. He would also leave a few hours early sometimes and again....no upper management called him! I knew where he was because he TOOK me to the Driving Range one morning.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:14 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,790,307 times
It's a concept just like hanging out with smart people will make you smarter, or hanging out with loser's will keep you down. If you hang out with a certain type of person you typically elevate or drop to their level. It's not something etched in stone, just a loose theory.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:16 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,079,286 times
I've known people who come from 'money' and their families are knowledgeable in how to guide them (teaching them to save, how to invest, how to score a good job).

They pass on this wisdom and you 'just knew' these individuals would not be mopping the floors at McDonalds.

Part of it was that their parents were actually HARD ON THEM and a few were popping the antacids in college.

Did they work harder? No, not really. They just know how to accumulate and keep wealth thanks to advice and being wily.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:24 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,359,408 times
I learn from everyone.

Sometimes I learn what to do......

Other times I learn what NOT to do.

I also believe you are judged by the company you keep so, over the years I have "UPED" my game.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:29 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,729,597 times
It's a bit of a loaded question as, if you're talking success in terms of financial status, somebody who's financially successful isn't necessarily a good human being. Over quite a long life thus far I've known and do know now many extremely wealthy people who've achieved their wealth and subsequent social status by amorally and indiscriminately trampling on the backs of others.

On the other hand, those I've known and know who've been successful where general relationships are concerned and who have a genuine interest in the well-being of their fellow men are people who have something positive to offer where "success" is concerned and are role models for what can be if you take the time to not only ask but listen and hear. Many of them learned through the school of hard knocks what works and what doesn't work.

Of course on the other side of the coin, if you hang out with substance abusers and sexual predators then ...

It's not just a bandied-about truism that you're known by the company you keep but I suppose I don't whole-heartedly agree that surrounding yourself with "successful" people is a guarantee that you'll in turn become just as successful. You can learn from everybody who crosses your path whether they be the disenfranchised street person who basically gave up to the entrepreneur who followed a dream and made it - and all inbetween.

An often recurring theme on this Relationship forum's posts is self-centeredness. WHY doesn't he/she think this way, WHY can't I find the right match, WHY don't I have any friends, WHY does this person keep doing this to me, WHY do people treat me this way when I've done nothing to deserve it?

Answers are given and ignored, helpful posters who take the time to respond are designated as attackers who just don't understand.

The posters who ask, "HOW?" are probably the ones who benefit the most because they come onto this forum knowing there's a problem and want to make a change, are open to suggestions and follow through. Sometimes those people disappear after having received advice, sift through everything and then come back a month or so later with a positive update which is always gratifying to hear. Others just disappear and we never know what happened to them. (Although some of them do reappear several months later with a repetition of the same old same old!)

Oops, sorry to have rambled on but hope I helped answer your question at least a bit. Cheers!

PS: By the time I posted this you had lots of good responses!

Last edited by STT Resident; 04-07-2010 at 07:33 AM.. Reason: Added a PS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships