Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 10:27 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
1 What kind of mountain man is this new meaning?

2 I spent some time touring in Williams as well as Flag, and didn't seem to run across any kind of moutian men but me, and i was in biker gear then, with a flinter in a case under the bike trailer. With out a flinter I could be with out more than a few things. To me a flinter is a sort of swiss army knife. It was just a little 52.5 inch long .40 cal pea shooter, so i wouldn't scare the Cali crew.

3 I don't think I am pretty either But my wife does. (You know how nutty women can be, and so i can't trust her, when it come to me, and my looks.)

4 Living off the land I dreamed of a 1895 claw foot bath tub, but never got one. If i did, it would have been wood fired, with a fire right under the tub!

5. This is serious bee's wax! I have no idea what she means by Mountain Man

6 2RUGGED4YOU, do you know and ain't sayin'?

7 Thar's times and words I know that just don't match anymore. I can be a ID 10 T, in modern things... (most of the time I am glad of it)
I do believe she was just being facetious because there are no "mountain men" around there although they might fancy themselves as such if they wear raggedy jeans, old flannel shirt, long unkempt hair and, probably, a long straggly beard. Oh yeah, and probably hiking boots. Nothing like you, I'm sure. My ex could probably be described as one though, to a point.

I had a wood heated shower when I lived up on the mountain. The water came straight from the creek and into an old water heater hooked up to a shower head in a shower house we built. Had to build a fire under the water heater to get a hot shower. After we got the tub in the house we lined the shower house with very thick plastic, installed a potbelly stove and turned it into a sauna. Really nice to have and used the COLD shower to rinse after! It was pretty good sized and could hold at least six people, although it never did. lol We lived up there for five years, I had three big gardens, a gazillion acres of Huckleberrys and canned 300-400 jars of food every year. I never did get electricity or an indoor bathroom but I managed okay.

Hey, long as your wife thinks you're 'pretty' nobody else's opinion matters, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 01:30 PM

23 posts, read 34,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiemack View Post
how many men have dated a crazy, anorexic, financially ruined, shell of a woman?

how many women have dated a toothless, ain't gonna change, gun totin/hustler lookin, beer belly man?

welcome to online dating

i'm on 3 free online dating sites....as a woman, what i see is

1) short (in height)
2) they 'ain't gonna change'
3) if you don't like it, go somewhere else(refer to #2)
4) either over the top active, biking, hiking, walking, running, lifting
5) or....nascar
6) 'seeking a beautiful, sweet woman.....'

this is what i see

what do you men see?
I can't answer about what men see. But to answer your second question, no, i have never dated a man like that, offline or on. If you have it's because you were to eager and dated them before getting to know them. I believe there are great guys out there and even on those free dating sites.

1) short (in height)
Good. I prefer them short as I am short. Perfect
Why should any man change. What he is is what you get. If you don't like it look elsewhere.
I agree with any man who says that.
I see nothing wrong with any of these things. If they are active like this then they are usually fit and healthy. What is the problem?
5) or....nascar
And what's wrong with nascar?
Would you prefer they were seeking and ugly, sour woman (one who posts questions like this as though she herself were all that?)

Let's see your picture sweetie. What do you have to offer that these men should get excited about? And if they are seeking a beautiful sweet woman and you feel that this rules you out or that they shouldn't be seeking that then that tells a lot about you doesn't it?

Old 05-03-2010, 02:04 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
I think I'd rather take the "gun totin" beer belly MAN over the scores of effete, L'Occitane using, waxed eyebrow sporting metrosexuals LA is lousy with.

Care to trade? Since LA has millions of singles, I'll trade you 5 for 1 - deal?

Old 05-03-2010, 06:45 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I do believe she was just being facetious because there are no "mountain men" around there although they might fancy themselves as such if they wear raggedy jeans, old flannel shirt, long unkempt hair and, probably, a long straggly beard. Oh yeah, and probably hiking boots. Nothing like you, I'm sure. My ex could probably be described as one though, to a point.

I had a wood heated shower when I lived up on the mountain. The water came straight from the creek and into an old water heater hooked up to a shower head in a shower house we built. Had to build a fire under the water heater to get a hot shower. After we got the tub in the house we lined the shower house with very thick plastic, installed a potbelly stove and turned it into a sauna. Really nice to have and used the COLD shower to rinse after! It was pretty good sized and could hold at least six people, although it never did. lol We lived up there for five years, I had three big gardens, a gazillion acres of Huckleberrys and canned 300-400 jars of food every year. I never did get electricity or an indoor bathroom but I managed okay.

Hey, long as your wife thinks you're 'pretty' nobody else's opinion matters, right?

First of all Thank you very much.. And yeah I am a mechanic so in day to day life i wear rags and in jeans. It seems anytime I get dressed in anythibng other than rags and jeans something else of someone elses breaks.

I wrech a lot of better 20th centuyry clothing just going for a motorcycle ride, since i tend to stop and assist others who are stranded.

I am pretty fuzzy If I wern't a married man, I would want to be takin a bath at yer place! Sounds deliteful..

Winter heat around hee means fire wood still, and I hint dead, dying and down for such, and drop the trees in areas as i find them. many as of late have come down and there is more yet to get. Last year not much new came in, so this year I need 10 cord to be set for this winter and the next, using apx 5 cord. I do this myself, pretty much alone, but dropping trees isn't much of a big deal so long as you look UP.

The rest is hard labor as i hear it, but it does seem to keep me fit.

Just ate fish sticks from the store, and peas and squash that wer'nt.

Now on my dressy days in hidden stictch embroider leather, with oak and acorns over my right should and the grape and vine over my left, with ferns the North star, at my neck, well that shirt to me is better and worth more than any money.

That hidden stitch means youy can flip up the cape, 1761 pattern long hunter shirt, and not see any decorative stitching on the under side.

To me the oak represtnes war and protective ideas and the grape wine from the heart.. I am a strange dude.

There is jack in the pulpit a swamp plant too with a black and red dotted mile as a fantasy part of the plant sewn in.. All and each item some meaning just to me.

This is getting to be a odd thread around here since no one hates me yet.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:00 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
First of all Thank you very much.. And yeah I am a mechanic so in day to day life i wear rags and in jeans. It seems anytime I get dressed in anythibng other than rags and jeans something else of someone elses breaks.

I wrech a lot of better 20th centuyry clothing just going for a motorcycle ride, since i tend to stop and assist others who are stranded.

I am pretty fuzzy If I wern't a married man, I would want to be takin a bath at yer place! Sounds deliteful..

Winter heat around hee means fire wood still, and I hint dead, dying and down for such, and drop the trees in areas as i find them. many as of late have come down and there is more yet to get. Last year not much new came in, so this year I need 10 cord to be set for this winter and the next, using apx 5 cord. I do this myself, pretty much alone, but dropping trees isn't much of a big deal so long as you look UP.

The rest is hard labor as i hear it, but it does seem to keep me fit.

Just ate fish sticks from the store, and peas and squash that wer'nt.

Now on my dressy days in hidden stictch embroider leather, with oak and acorns over my right should and the grape and vine over my left, with ferns the North star, at my neck, well that shirt to me is better and worth more than any money.

That hidden stitch means youy can flip up the cape, 1761 pattern long hunter shirt, and not see any decorative stitching on the under side.

To me the oak represtnes war and protective ideas and the grape wine from the heart.. I am a strange dude.

There is jack in the pulpit a swamp plant too with a black and red dotted mile as a fantasy part of the plant sewn in.. All and each item some meaning just to me.

This is getting to be a odd thread around here since no one hates me yet.
I think you and I could have some good conversation comparing notes but this isn't the place to do it, really. Suffice it to say that I know exactly where you're coming from.

Maybe folks here don't "hate" you yet 'cause this isn't a politics forum? Just kidding but have to tell you I've read a lot of your posts over there and in others of the same ilk. I have posted quite a bit in them lately as well. Talk about HOT topics!!!

Old 05-03-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RUGGED4YOU View Post
Mac, I have carried a Victorinox Champion every day for 27 years. A Swiss Army is probably the best all purpose pocket knife you can carry. Your high carbon handmade blades will tarnish and rust but are much easier to sharpen and most people can get them much sharper than stainless. I have a special stone so it doesn't matter. Old files and saw blade make good carbon steel to make them out of if you don't hand forge them. Knowing you, you probably do!LOL........ As you already know, oil makes a great quench for heat treating/tempering when you don't have the modern furnaces to use. Do you use stag on any of your handles? How about Damascus steel? I have made a few and they taught us how to make leather sheaths for them in boy scouts!
Oh well yeah I guess maybe I can get an edge on a Swiss knife, but if I go cut wires half the day that edge is trashed...

The blades I make will whittle other ss blades and ruin them. I used to hack and whittle pot hooks as a point of sale. That point worked really well too.

The ss whittling was usually someone with a knife like a natchez bowie in ss, wanted to trade it, in part for a blade I made.

I would smile and say no, and after some insistance, end up showing why...

Yes, I forge and in high carbon, also forging files and hoss shoein' rasps, some wicked neat 01 mista, and can make spring of it. Made a lance once from one o' them and with a pole on made a wicked knot right up in the celeing 'testing' that blade for bend. Well the blade worked, but the celing failed...

I made a bowie that scares me to ride with and the case is walnut, not leather. It has cut it's way out of that case and thru the brass rivets pins that pin the case. I just raw hide patched it, and sewed on braintan, to bead it in the night time star pattern, which looks like a checker board to you. White and black.

I made a dirk too longer than the bowie, and it shares the other side of the same moose antler for grips. That case is leather lined and made of birds eye maple. The anter butt end has a amethist embedded with no glue or nuthin, but even I can't get it out. Under that stone is a disc if silver to throw the light back out.

Once I intended to sell it, but the missus became a tad exicitable, and convinced me to think better of it. Her point, was you could sell it but then who has any money?

Right quick, I recalled the last money was made in 57' and we ain't seen any but for pocket change since and even that went out in 64'.

I had a horse once, nearly as smart as my wife.

If you were foolin around with any Damascus, you musta been close to Bill Moran.. I can say that since he's DEAD. No one on this side of the grass can hurt him now... I was personally aquainted with him.

I don't think my sheaths are much like the boy scouts, but then I really wouldn't know.

Mine are usally a raw hide inner, and the outter is brained deer beaded.

Axe case which are hard to tell since I never saw any like I make are different in heavy leather, taper welted, and the case has a copper link. The top of the case folds over and the link passes thru, and a sewn on belt like tab crosses over the cover and passes thru the link, which lockes the case tight, but is easy to open.

There are copper rivets and little washers of copper cut square. I don't have any pics of this ......yet, but will...

A Buddy bought a case knife folder, and he wants a sheath for it. This was over 100 bucks and in a box, so I will do up dyed black deer and use cow hide to, but make the metal parts of the sheath in sterling. All hand sewn.

Rugged, about now you understand why I git in so much trouble around heya' huh? That woman friend of yours has me pestered, and her 'other woman' friend, well I just got no use of her mouth for the day is long...

If you want you can have a link to a few of my older blades at photobucket. just ask..... mac

Old 05-03-2010, 07:14 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
im a #4.
but you could do worse.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:20 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,251,461 times
Did you ever wonder why mechanics, carpenters, electricians, plumbers, HVAC techs, roofers, tool and die makers, masons etc.... etc..... like this kind of stuff? Is it a coincidence? I don't think so!!!

Old 05-04-2010, 07:07 AM

I just was drawn by the word mountain man. It isn't true I am the very last one, but there isn't many of us. There is groups, the largest is AMM American Mountain Men. These guys are dedicated to the life and ways of the original Mt men. I was never one of them, but was invited to be. I used to for a decade belong to another brigade, but for distance and timing had to leave it. I still have a standing invite to return. But that distance and timing thang is my problem.

Being one teaches anyone new things, but in the old ways. Many of these skills are handy in any times. My wife found me at such an event, as finding men is bars wasn't her style, and if it was she would never have found me at all, since bars are not my style either.

She was looking for a wild cat and found one. I do all of your list one way or another, less HVAC, but I do that in another way, with chillers, and vac ovens, which is similar but different. Same stuff, different application.

When I need a new skill set I get a book or two, then I go smash my finger tips for the hands on. Seems to work fer me.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:08 AM

2,618 posts, read 6,163,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiemack View Post
how many men have dated a crazy, anorexic, financially ruined, shell of a woman?

how many women have dated a toothless, ain't gonna change, gun totin/hustler lookin, beer belly man?

welcome to online dating

i'm on 3 free online dating sites....as a woman, what i see is

1) short (in height)
5) or....nascar

this is what i see

what do you men see?
It's easy to sit here and pick apart everyone's profiles and pictures, and it will vary by the area you're in, but online dating is like normal dating too. You're looking for a needle in a haystack here. Just keep looking, open your mind to different types of people. Now I just met a girl last night that I wasn't too impressed with her pictures, but she seemed really cool and nice so I thought I'd give it a shot. Turned out her pictures didn't really do her justice.

Here's what I see in women in their later 20's in downtown chicago:

-I only search women shorter than 5'6", but 90% of them want a guy taller than 5'10" or 6' (for the record I'm 5'8", so I don't contact them)

-They all claim they're "giving online dating a try, never thought they'd resort to this"....oh really? So you're saying I should feel like a loser for using the greatest invention of the 20th century to meet women? Thanks...

-They all think they're lives are perfect, they have perfect friends/family, their job is perfect, everything is so wonderful. They all claim they "live life to the fullest and love to have fun"...really? cuz I live to NOT have fun...

-They've all read the same books. I'm starting to think there's only 7 books available in the city of chicago

-They all claim The Office is the best show ever

-Looking for their "best friend" (let's be honest and realistic, you're looking for a boyfriend, not your best friend)

-This isn't as common, but there's women who like to add a little snippett at the end of their profile that says they don't want any of the following to email them: men over 40, no one who isn't <insert religion here>, not a cubs/sox/bears fan, is not a liberal, who isn't ready for a relationship, etc, etc. I even saw a girl write a whole paragraph on how she doesn't want to date a guy who doesn't wear designer clothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships