Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 07:54 PM

47 posts, read 39,275 times

Advertisements

I lost my husband of 18yrs in 2005.I was having an extremely hard time dealing with his unexpected death. I got my first tat that yr also-on my right shoulder blade. It's a heart w/angel wings and a halo and has his initials in it. Now I always have an angel on my shoulder and I know he has my back.
My second one is a fairy on my left arm and it says "believe". Its an Amy Brown fairy and she's there to remind me to believe that life is worth living to the fullest and to NEVER let it get you down!

I think that they are very addictive and am looking to have another one done. But not doing it because I can, it has to mean something to me. As far as the pain goes, if you've had a child, you can handle a tat. It does depend on where you get it, but the pain means nothing if you do it for yourself.

Word of advice........NEVER, EVER tattoo a boyfriend/girlfriends name on you. You never know how that relationship will turn out. And then, you're stuck with it forever and ever, AMEN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 08:14 PM

1,712 posts, read 4,233,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swtpolly View Post
Word of advice........NEVER, EVER tattoo a boyfriend/girlfriends name on you. You never know how that relationship will turn out. And then, you're stuck with it forever and ever, AMEN.
Yeah, that's what one of my ex's did. My initials on her butt cheek

Old 06-16-2007, 02:33 AM

1,115 posts, read 3,134,650 times
I have a few big tattoos on my arms. They are very tasteful and not threatening or prison-style at all. They are very spiritual and elegant in style.
But when people see them I can practically feel their kneejerk reaction. They'll look me in the eye with a smile, then their eyes move down to my tattoos......
Some people will smile at me big and warm. These are the truely open-minded and decent people it seems. They have the presense of mind and the intelligence to know that a tattoo is really no big deal. It doesn't make someone bad in any way and it's definantly nothing to freak out about.
Other people will instantly look away. Usually it's a look of fear, or complete rejection and disinterest, as if because I am tattooed I must be criminal, crazy or some other kind of negative character. They treat me as if I must be beneath them somehow. When in fact I am actually college educated, friendly, and a good person in just about every way.
I am truely glad that this happens. It's like a natural way for me to seperate the good people from the ignorant.
It's just American culture. Overall, America is conservative and people are raised with lots of prejudices and stereotypes that they carry into adulthood. In America, racism, sexism and other such things are rampant, they always have been in American culture. American communities are prone to groupthinking.
You just have to be true to yourself and be real. And not join in on the ignorance and mindless prejudice that is so prevelant in America.
Be the change you want to see in the world.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:48 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,427,750 times
I'm a former Marine so I've got plenty of tattoos, but on chicks well TO ME ... really don't care for them. (Yes that makes me a big ol' hypocrite.) How's that tramp stamp going to look when your 70 .... I don't think ewww even begins to cover it. that butterfly on your young perky peaks might end you looking like a cockroach.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:31 AM

431 posts, read 2,794,356 times
I really don't post here or read here but I was curious. Tattoos. You ask so I will reply. I hate em on anyone. That does not mean I will not associated with someone that has them or judge them---------well I will hold judgement until I know them, lets say. I am an older women and in my day only some sailors had them and that was romantic. But mostly gang bangers and thuds had tattoos, prostitutes etc. (Many people over 40 still feel this way.) Then I worked in a medical recovery home. Those same tattoos are sagging and distorted and well you get the picture. These are not necessarily on old people but those that have lost weight, muscle tone. Maybe some will get it back some will not. Nope I don't like tattoos. It is a fade now but will not remain at this level. Then what? Oh well, each unto his own. Yea my Gson had to get some, also piercings. But at least there is a chance those will close and disapper. Not so with the tattoos. Someone is going to get rich on tatto removal in the future.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:49 AM

3,256 posts, read 8,903,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
I'm a former Marine so I've got plenty of tattoos, but on chicks well TO ME ... really don't care for them. (Yes that makes me a big ol' hypocrite.) How's that tramp stamp going to look when your 70 .... I don't think ewww even begins to cover it. that butterfly on your young perky peaks might end you looking like a cockroach.
How many 70 yr olds do you know that walk around naked? I say live it up, you're only young once.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:18 AM

431 posts, read 2,794,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadreamer View Post
How many 70 yr olds do you know that walk around naked? I say live it up, you're only young once.
They were not 70 but you just might be surprised.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:41 AM

5,342 posts, read 14,143,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgo View Post
I would certainly appreciate it if the men on this board (lady lambs can answer too) could explain why body art on females is undesirable by some men.

A few years ago on Match.com, I would see ads by men stating "no body art, no piercings..." I can understand the no piercings request (I take it they were not talking about pierced ears) as piercings can be above the skin and can get caught in clothing, or be taken to the extremes, or cause hygiene issues, etc., but the "no body art" request puzzles me.

Scenario: A guy is walking on a beach and a young lady in a bikini (36-24-36) with a lovely face is walking towards him. He smiles at her; she smiles back. When she passes him, he turns and watches her walk away from behind, as men are wont to do, and then he spots a one inch butterfly tattoo below her shoulder blade. Would the guy then be disgusted because she had a butterfly tattoo below her shoulder blade?

I don't understand the negative attitude. Can someone please explain? I would certainly appreciate some insight.

Thank you.

PS: I can understand a guy preferring not to date someone who is tatooed from head to toe, but I don't understand what is wrong with a small lady bug, or fairy, something like that.
It's disgusting. Mother nature made the female body beautiful. Why would you want to permanently deface it is beyond me. I would NEVER be with a woman who was all pierced and tatooed up!

ONE small tatoo preferably somewhere generally covered up might be acceptable.

It is kind of like those STUPID A** oversized sunglasses that chicks think are soooo cool because some Hollywood idiots (eg. Paris) wears them. They look rediculous and are a major turn-off!!!!!!

Old 06-24-2007, 10:36 AM

7,081 posts, read 8,949,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I think it shows a lack of maturity. Why would anyone want to do something that will show on their body for the REST OF THEIR LIVES? They will fade and look ugly when they reach 50 and the person will say how can I be so stupid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
It's disgusting. Mother nature made the female body beautiful. Why would you want to permanently deface it is beyond me. I would NEVER be with a woman who was all pierced and tatooed up!
Tattoos are the litmus paper of white trash detection that always comes up positive. If I had a nickel for everyone I knew with $100s tied up on their "body art" that complained of being broke I would be a very rich man. I even know a girl who spent thousands to have a birthmark removed only to turn around and get a tattoo.

Old 06-24-2007, 01:26 PM

13,905 posts, read 3,378,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swtpolly View Post
I lost my husband of 18yrs in 2005.I was having an extremely hard time dealing with his unexpected death. I got my first tat that yr also-on my right shoulder blade. It's a heart w/angel wings and a halo and has his initials in it. Now I always have an angel on my shoulder and I know he has my back.
My second one is a fairy on my left arm and it says "believe". Its an Amy Brown fairy and she's there to remind me to believe that life is worth living to the fullest and to NEVER let it get you down!

I think that they are very addictive and am looking to have another one done. But not doing it because I can, it has to mean something to me. As far as the pain goes, if you've had a child, you can handle a tat. It does depend on where you get it, but the pain means nothing if you do it for yourself.

I agree with sweetpolly. I have a tatto of a phoenix with a wizard riding on his back on my left shoulder. It is there because my life has been tough but I have always been admired by my friends for my ability to pick myself up and keep going. They gave me the knickname "Phoenix" for this reason. The Phoenix is a reminder that no matter what happens I can find the strength to go again. The wizard is there to remind me that there is magic in the world even when my life is in the pits. I just have to remember to look for it. Tatoo's are very personal for the people who have them. As for the guys who don't like them? That's fine, there are plenty of men who do, and even some who understand the reason for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships