Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 11:49 PM

213 posts, read 416,824 times

Advertisements

For those who have been through divorce, how far in advance should I tell my SO that I want to leave? 2 weeks? 1 month?

How much time would you have liked to have had before someone left?

Reason for splitting is I'm just out of love - there is no abuse or infidelity. No kids involved.

I want to do it as gently as possible to minimize SO's pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 12:24 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,737,640 times
If you want to diminish his/her pain then you should make arrangements in advance so that you can leave immediately after dropping the bomb. No one wants the person who rejected them hanging around like a bad smell.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:08 AM

769 posts, read 1,013,755 times
yep. make the arrangements so that is smooth

Old 05-25-2010, 02:17 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,682,798 times
I agree with the others. Have a place to go beforehand and pack up your stuff while he isn't there.

Is this going to blindside him? Does he have any idea at all that the relationship is over? If you are afraid of his reaction, or afraid that he might try to prevent you from leaving, then I would suggest having someone with you (your father, ideally) or perhaps telling him in a public place where he's more likely to remain civil.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:07 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,885,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
If you want to diminish his/her pain then you should make arrangements in advance so that you can leave immediately after dropping the bomb. No one wants the person who rejected them hanging around like a bad smell.
Exactly, for a number of reasons. He is going to be very hurt and maybe even angry when you tell him you're leaving - there's a good chance he won't WANT you around anyway. On the other hand, sticking around may give him the wrong impression, that there is still hope for reconciliation - BAD move. And in general, it will also just make it harder for him to move on with you still living there.

Unless he is the most oblivious person on the planet or you are the worst communicator in the world, he probably already knows your marriage is in trouble and you've been having problems so it shouldn't come as a complete surprise.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:15 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,192,758 times
I broke up with a SO I was living with in my house while I was in the hospital. I gave him all the time he needed to move out, but he wanted out immediately so he was gone by the time I got home. I would make the humble assumption that if someone dumped me I wouldn't want to be in the same house with them either for even one day afterwards. Since you have no children involved, I agree that you should make arrangements to be elsewhere immediately after. In another case I had given the guy ample warning that if things didn't improve in a month I was out of there and in 30 days I went and leased an apartment, but it wouldn't be ready for 2 weeks and slept in the 2nd bedroom for 2 weeks. He travelled for his job so he wasn't there the 2nd week but it was a very uncomfortable situation to say the least and looking back on it I probably should have stayed with my mother until it was ready and then came back and packed my stuff up when he wasn't there.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:41 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,579,727 times
My ex and I discussed it months before we actually split. We agreed it would be a friendly divorce and stay friends because of the kids. I had to get financially more stable before I could leave, getting some bills paid off and some money saved up for the move. We just quit sleeping together until I moved out. Here we are over 20 years later and we are still friends. Everything went smooth and the kids did not have to deal with the anger that normally goes on during and after a divorce.

I have been in relationships where I have told them I am going away for the week end and I want you out when I get back. To me, it depends on the relationship you had with that person and what's going on. I see no reason why there has to be a big fight or blow up when it is over with... sometimes, it is just time to move on.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:25 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,041,460 times
Get your finances in order and set up your own accounts. Then drop the bomb and get out.

Be aware there may be money issues but all you can do is be fair and wait and see how your SO handles it. Try your best to leave in good circumstances.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:05 PM

379 posts, read 512,983 times
Did you go to marriage counseling? You must have loved him when you married him. I mean, if he doesn't abuse you and doesn't cheat on you, is it possible the problem is you? I think you may need to slow down, not be so hasty, and assess what the root of the problem is. The grass is not always greener and divorce is hell.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:08 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,686,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Federal View Post
Did you go to marriage counseling? You must have loved him when you married him. I mean, if he doesn't abuse you and doesn't cheat on you, is it possible the problem is you? I think you may need to slow down, not be so hasty, and assess what the root of the problem is. The grass is not always greener and divorce is hell.
The OP didn't ask whether she should divorce -- she asked about the mechanics of separating. Although herquestion strikes me as a bit strange, you have no call to assume she doesn't have a good reason to split up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships