Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 05:29 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times

Advertisements

No Never, I'd run like anything....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 04:24 PM

Location: Phoenix...until next week, then Maryland...tick tock tick tock
169 posts, read 607,872 times
Yeah, lying is bad, mmkay.

Unfortunately, I find myself doing it fairly frequently...

My BF: "What's wrong?"
Me: "Nothing."
My BF: "Uh huh. So, what's wrong?"
Me: "It's just <insert issue here>"

Dammit. I'm not a liar, really I'm not...well, I don't mean to be anyway. Really, I'm just too lazy to say "I'm not ready to talk to you about this yet. Ask me a few more times if you really, really want to know..."

I think one kinda has to judge based on what kinds of lies a person tells & how often they do it. Sadly, we are all liars, at some level. I think one just has to discern why someone is lying about something, how serious is this lie & how frequently does this happen.

I mean, really, if a woman goes up to her man (or any man) & says "Do these pants make my a*s look fat?" How many guys--& I mean the actual good ones worth having--are going to say "Um, yeah" when presented with that question??

Now, if we're talking lies like "of course it's your baby!" then that's a problem.

Trusting others is a scary business, IMHO.

Old 06-21-2007, 05:17 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,329,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
"Do you have time for someone who lies to you?"

nope.
Hey mollysmiles. I just wondered if u were totally lie free? In a perfect world no body would lie. I wish we were living in that world. I couldn't just walk away from someone I really liked just because they told me a lie.
And I am not saying I agree with lying either. I do not think it is right. I would look the whole person and at what their motives were and the impact of the lie they told before I made my decison to walk. If u take a hard-line and simply don't have time for people because they make mistakes...u won't have time for anyone
Now if the guy is just a lying son of a gun with no intentions of doing what is right then I agree: I have no time for that liar

Old 06-21-2007, 07:05 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,102,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
Hey mollysmiles. I just wondered if u were totally lie free? In a perfect world no body would lie. I wish we were living in that world. I couldn't just walk away from someone I really liked just because they told me a lie.
And I am not saying I agree with lying either. I do not think it is right. I would look the whole person and at what their motives were and the impact of the lie they told before I made my decison to walk. If u take a hard-line and simply don't have time for people because they make mistakes...u won't have time for anyone
Now if the guy is just a lying son of a gun with no intentions of doing what is right then I agree: I have no time for that liar
a mistake is not a lie....by definition.

I have a full busy happy life. I don't have time or inclination for lying. For me, it is that clear cut.

PS: I don't lie.

Last edited by mollysmiles; 06-21-2007 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: added ps

Old 06-22-2007, 07:24 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,626,210 times
We all say alot of innocent lies just to avoid hurting someone's feelings and there's nothing wrong with that. If a friend or coworker comes up to you and asks your opinion about some new hairdo or article of clothing you can't just blurt out that it makes them look like a circus animal! If they say "does this make me look fat?" you can't respond by saying "actually, you are fat, and this doesn't help matters". Or is someone says "how do you like my new glasses?" you can't respond by saying "are those glasses?, I thought they were casserole lids". See what I'm saying? The kind of lying that is unacceptable is when a friend or someone you care about tells you something that is untrue in an effort to deceive you about something that they've said or done that would reflect badly on themselves, not on you. A true friend is someone you can trust, if they lie to you about something that's important it's time to reevaluate that friendship.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:38 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,102,570 times
lol...I DO know what you mean...I just deal with it differently....

"Does this make me look fat?"
-"Oh, is that new?" "I haven't seen you wear that." "I like the other one better on you"

"How do you like my new glasses"
-"When did you get those?" "It's a change for you isn't it?" "Are you happy with them?" or, for friends, "Did you have your contacts in when you tried those on? Can you return them?"

Old 06-23-2007, 08:16 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,626,210 times
mollysmiles wrote:
Quote:
"Does this make me look fat?"
Now if you really wanted to be mean you could say "No, it makes you look like a covered wagon!"
Ok, enough of that, besides, I think women who are a little heavy are much more attractive than the skeletal remains we see on the covers on fashion magazines.

Old 06-26-2007, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
a mistake is not a lie....by definition.

I have a full busy happy life. I don't have time or inclination for lying. For me, it is that clear cut.

PS: I don't lie.
Hey mollysmilesI didn't really mean for u to answer that question-it was just meant to be thought provoking. I was in no ways suggesting that u r anything less than truthful. I guess for some people right and wrong is always a clear cut matter. I wish it were that simple for me. I admire your convictions and congrats on having a full life.

Old 06-26-2007, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
We all say alot of innocent lies just to avoid hurting someone's feelings and there's nothing wrong with that. If a friend or coworker comes up to you and asks your opinion about some new hairdo or article of clothing you can't just blurt out that it makes them look like a circus animal! If they say "does this make me look fat?" you can't respond by saying "actually, you are fat, and this doesn't help matters". Or is someone says "how do you like my new glasses?" you can't respond by saying "are those glasses?, I thought they were casserole lids". See what I'm saying? The kind of lying that is unacceptable is when a friend or someone you care about tells you something that is untrue in an effort to deceive you about something that they've said or done that would reflect badly on themselves, not on you. A true friend is someone you can trust, if they lie to you about something that's important it's time to reevaluate that friendship.
Hey it sounds like u practice "social diplomacy" I have been trying to teach one of my most favorite friends about this concept. I think he maybe starting to get it a little tiny bit. But, I agree with u about an intentional deception that leaves someone hurt...at that point it is time to do some serious thinking about continuing the friendship.

Old 06-27-2007, 12:51 PM

Location: Phoenix...until next week, then Maryland...tick tock tick tock
169 posts, read 607,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
...I think women who are a little heavy are much more attractive than the skeletal remains we see on the covers on fashion magazines.
skeletal remains...I like that!!

I can't wait until we get past the "skeletal remains" fashion trend...I want pants that were made to fit a living, breathing woman!

...& no, not a covered wagon!

Oh, yeah, & lying is bad...just so i'm not off topic...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships