Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 02:11 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,206,877 times

Advertisements

I got one using letter refrigerator magnets

You can also buy blank puzzels on line and cut it down to the size of greeting card, write on it and break it apart and put it in an envelope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 02:21 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,733,139 times
While I agree with Loves and say that your proposal should depend entirely on your beloved and what is important to both of you, here's an idea I just had.

Go on a road trip.
When she is driving, suggest playing Mad Libs. Have a custom Mad Lib already made up.
Read it back to her. It will go something like this:
Once upon a time, there was an (adjective) man named Chris who fell in love with an (adjective) woman named ____. He loved her for her (adjective) smile, her (adjective) heart, and her beautiful (plural noun). He knew he couldn't (verb) without her, and one day on a car trip, he asked her to (verb) him. She said (verb ending in -ing) yes! And they (verb, past tense) (adverb) ever after.
Make sure you start reading this near a rest stop so 1) she can pull over instead of staring at you, because confusion will hit about halfway through, and 2) you can give her the ring and then go roll around on some grass.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:46 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,015,367 times
Don't plan. Just do it when it feels right. I think those perfectly planned proposals are cheesy and unoriginal.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:08 PM

677 posts, read 1,621,559 times
Those videos were hilarious. I think that it's extremely impersonal to propose to someone in the middle of a huge crowd like that. Sports and romance don't go together in my book.

OP, you need to find the girl and then do something tailored to her interests. Do it in a way that is sweet and personal. Unless you know for a fact that she would love something extravagent, propose in a classic way. Just the two of you, somewhere special.

Good luck

Old 06-05-2010, 02:50 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,376,375 times
My husbnad just took me into a jewlery store and said pick out what ring you want.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:45 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,500,987 times
whatever you do, do it in private!

Old 06-05-2010, 10:32 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,199,764 times
In short, don't succumb to the entertainment disease. Grandiose stuff like that almost never works out.

Old 06-05-2010, 03:15 PM

27,364 posts, read 27,414,874 times
Lol lots of ideas here. One afternoon my boyfriend and I were walking in a big field next to some train tracks and talking, when out of nowhere I made the comment 'we should get married'. Next thing you know, we were married.

Old 06-05-2010, 03:58 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,377,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
While I agree with Loves and say that your proposal should depend entirely on your beloved and what is important to both of you, here's an idea I just had.

Go on a road trip.
When she is driving, suggest playing Mad Libs. Have a custom Mad Lib already made up.
Read it back to her. It will go something like this:
Once upon a time, there was an (adjective) man named Chris who fell in love with an (adjective) woman named ____. He loved her for her (adjective) smile, her (adjective) heart, and her beautiful (plural noun). He knew he couldn't (verb) without her, and one day on a car trip, he asked her to (verb) him. She said (verb ending in -ing) yes! And they (verb, past tense) (adverb) ever after.
Make sure you start reading this near a rest stop so 1) she can pull over instead of staring at you, because confusion will hit about halfway through, and 2) you can give her the ring and then go roll around on some grass.
Oh my goodness!! JustJulia, will you marry me!? lol - I love that post! I have to pass this idea along, it's so original. And so sweet!

To the OP, albeit a bit concerning that you're thinking of ways to propose before even having someone to propose to, it makes me worry that you'll launch into a relationship to test it out, when the proposal has nothing to do with her, just trying out one of your brilliant ideas. Don't look for someone to marry and pre-plan how to package it. But with that being said, proposing to a woman could have everything in the world to do with.. how you first met, your first date, or an inside joke the two of you share, that brings you closer together- so many possibilities that you can't think of, because you haven't created the memories to base them around yet.

Old 06-05-2010, 04:00 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,422,020 times
Op, I think it's great you want to do a special proposal. That's awesome.

But you're going to have to wait till you meet the one you want to marry. Because for it to be really special, it has to be tailored towards here.

You could drop tons of money and go to all the effort for some big, fancy display that could be as generic and meaningless as white bread.

Or you can get to know this special woman really, really well...and find a way that really speaks to her, who she is, her likes/dislikes, a special memory you have together, etc.

That is my recommendation to you. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships