Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 01:22 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,146,766 times

Advertisements

There is always a reason for a complete cut off, the people are just not telling you. It could be something they imagined or something you did that upset them and they decided they do not have the courage to tell you so they cut you off. If you look at it long enough, you will be able to figure it out.

I had a friend that I have known for over 15 years. She and I love to write and would send long emails to each other about whatever we had going on. We wrote at least every other day. We joked it was like reading little books. She was single for most of the years we were friends. She had some bad relationships and did not want any men in her life. Well a few years ago, she was ready to get back into the dating world. I supported her on this. I felt she deserved to find someone. She started online dating and became completely obsessed with it. She refused to join anything legit and ended up on a lot of free sites. She would ask me constantly what I thought of whomever she was talking to. Some of the guys seemed okay and others were obviously scam artists. She has lost thousands of dollars because she falls for the scams every time. I would give my opinion cuz she asked and she would ignore it, lose money realize I was right and it would upset her. She never really said I upset her but I could tell by her huffy tone she was getting tired of me being right. The emails slowed and it got to the point where a month would go by with no response. So finally I sent her an email asking her flat out if I upset her. She waited months to reply to me and when she did, she apologized and said she had lost my email address. Okay I have had the same email for over 6 yrs. My email is also my name, pretty hard to forget and we wrote almost every day for years. We now talk about twice a year over facebook. She will make a comment on my page about a photo I post or something like that. I don't know why she bothers.

People always have a reason, they just don't always tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 01:25 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,547,882 times
Cowards.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:52 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
It happens. Of course there's always a reason, but we're not always entitled to it. It would be nice to know why someone suddenly cuts you off, but I think in most cases if you think hard enough you're able to figure it out for yourself. It's their prerogative to cut you out of their life, and in a perfect world they'd be mature enough to discuss what's eating at them. If they can't do that, then I guess they weren't as close as we initially thought. Adiós!

Old 06-07-2010, 09:03 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,008,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
The silent treatment is abusive no matter who it's coming from.
Yup. This. ^^^^^^

Old 06-07-2010, 09:29 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,676,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
The silent treatment is abusive no matter who it's coming from.
Must disagree. If a person doesn't have anything postivie or constructive to say to me, or even if they've simply come to the conclusion that my personality does not mesh with theirs, I would prefer the silent treatment. It just means it is time to move on, not all relationships are meant to last forever. Far more abusive to pick at the scab than to let things go.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onglet39 View Post
Must disagree. If a person doesn't have anything postivie or constructive to say to me, or even if they've simply come to the conclusion that my personality does not mesh with theirs, I would prefer the silent treatment. It just means it is time to move on, not all relationships are meant to last forever. Far more abusive to pick at the scab than to let things go.
It's abusive if it follows a pattern of other forms of emotional abuse by the perpetrator. Most people don't just up and cut someone off, it follows a pattern of other behaviors.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:51 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,676,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
It's abusive if it follows a pattern of other forms of emotional abuse by the perpetrator. Most people don't just up and cut someone off, it follows a pattern of other behaviors.
Well now you're talking about more than the silent treatment per se, yes?

Old 06-07-2010, 09:53 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,007,791 times
Quote:
Yeah, my comment was a bit blanketed. There are always exceptions.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:02 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,192,276 times
Only when there was a lot of alcohol involved! (eventually everyone gets over it)

Old 06-07-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Well now you're talking about more than the silent treatment per se, yes?
Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships