Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2010, 11:07 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
Guy 1 if he is being attacked by a woman (no weapons, just hands/fists) would try and hold her wrists to stop her, but never hit her back.

Guy 2 if he is being attacked by a woman (no weapons, just hands/fists) would hit her back to stop her then argue that if she can do it, he can too.

YES YES I know no healthy relationship involves physical violence, but the question is hypothetical.

A few months ago one of my best (male) friends told me he hit a girl in the stomach because she refused to leave his house. He had struggled to get her to leave for hours beforehand until he finally lashed out. I have been uncomfortable around him ever since, but he keeps saying if she can do it, what was I supposed to do? I just want to know more opinions.
You don't hit a woman for refusing to leave your apartment, you call the police...this man will probably be a wife beater....

If a woman was crazy and trying to bodily hurt someone, then you might have to hit her to overcome her, however, I always raised my son, "no matter what, you never hit a woman, you walk away...but you NEVER EVER Hit a woman...."

I have no respect for any man who feels violence is the answer, and believe me, there are some women who beat they're men, so it works both ways...

anyone who does this needs help, and your right to back away from this friend of yours...I wouldn't trust him...he reacts badly...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 11:18 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,280,240 times
The thing is that calling police for those kinds of things still get men in trouble. Men can be falsely accused of domestic violence, sexual harrassment, etc. And have police come over, handcuff them, take them with them, and then ask them. Happens all the time.

I find it interesting how boys are taught from an early age "Don't you ever dare yourself hurt a woman" but there is no such thing as educating girls "Don't you ever disrespect a man and hit him" or something. Parents teaching sexism at an early age I guess. Makes more sense to teach children (boys/girls) "Don't you ever HIT ANYBODY"

Old 06-11-2010, 12:08 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,162,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
LMAO. You posted this before, an almost decade old study of 18-28 year olds. There's also a link there that states that men sustain over 1/3 of DV related injuries. "62% of all injured persons were female and 38% male."

More poop, and you're oh so proud to spew it.
Keep reading. The CDC study is fresh and says the same things as other studies have found time and again:

Women commit 70% of unidirectional violence.

Women commit about 50% of bidirectional violence.

Women suffer about 2/3d of the injuries that occur from DV, meaning men make up 1/3rd of the injured. The reason the injury rates are higher for women is because men are on average about 20% larger than women. Despite that side advantage men still suffer 1/3rd the injuries. If that doesn't tell you women are lashing out violently then I don't know what will.

One figure you haven't mentioned yet is that women are several times more likely to use a weapon than men are. Knives, guns, baseball bats, hair brushes, TV remotes, or frying pans it doesn't matter. They all count. This is probably the best way to make the point that most people gloss over how much DV women commit by not even realizing they were involved. Men, if a woman ever slapped you, hit you, threw something at you, YOU ARE A DV victim! Ladies, if you've ever done something like that you're guilty of committing DV. Just because nobody got hurt from it doesn't mean it doesn't count.

Lastly, the #1 way for women to avoid DV related injuries is to not hit first. In other words women need to keep their damn hands to themselves and stop throwing stuff. Because if by some chance you land a shot the repercussions can be severe, hence the lopsided injury rates.

We really do need to get it out of peoples' heads that women can only be victims and men are only perpetrators of violence against women. Life doesn't work that way. Furthermore, as I've mentioned before, in a perfectly "equal" world women will actually suffer more economically, socially, and violently and would be liable to get hit way more frequently (see the "If Snookie was a man" post above) as they're currently often given a free pass or not deemed a threat...until it's too late. Women see a man staring at them from across the bar and may think he's a creep and avoid him. Guys see a man staring at him from across the bar like that and he wonders if/when he's going to try and attack him. Fact of the matter is that guys are way more likely to be victimized by men than women are.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:10 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,685,534 times
Yes, women only have to contend with rape and stalking. Piece of cake.

Last edited by Redisca; 06-11-2010 at 12:20 PM..

Old 06-11-2010, 12:49 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,548,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutz76 View Post
Keep reading. The CDC study is fresh and says the same things as other studies have found time and again:

Women commit 70% of unidirectional violence.

Women commit about 50% of bidirectional violence.

Women suffer about 2/3d of the injuries that occur from DV, meaning men make up 1/3rd of the injured. The reason the injury rates are higher for women is because men are on average about 20% larger than women. Despite that side advantage men still suffer 1/3rd the injuries. If that doesn't tell you women are lashing out violently then I don't know what will.

One figure you haven't mentioned yet is that women are several times more likely to use a weapon than men are. Knives, guns, baseball bats, hair brushes, TV remotes, or frying pans it doesn't matter. They all count. This is probably the best way to make the point that most people gloss over how much DV women commit by not even realizing they were involved. Men, if a woman ever slapped you, hit you, threw something at you, YOU ARE A DV victim! Ladies, if you've ever done something like that you're guilty of committing DV. Just because nobody got hurt from it doesn't mean it doesn't count.

Lastly, the #1 way for women to avoid DV related injuries is to not hit first. In other words women need to keep their damn hands to themselves and stop throwing stuff. Because if by some chance you land a shot the repercussions can be severe, hence the lopsided injury rates.

We really do need to get it out of peoples' heads that women can only be victims and men are only perpetrators of violence against women. Life doesn't work that way. Furthermore, as I've mentioned before, in a perfectly "equal" world women will actually suffer more economically, socially, and violently and would be liable to get hit way more frequently (see the "If Snookie was a man" post above) as they're currently often given a free pass or not deemed a threat...until it's too late. Women see a man staring at them from across the bar and may think he's a creep and avoid him. Guys see a man staring at him from across the bar like that and he wonders if/when he's going to try and attack him. Fact of the matter is that guys are way more likely to be victimized by men than women are.
It was never my position that women are not violent. You insist, no matter what anyone says to the contrary, that this is everyone's opinion. Thus, you create a platform to spew pus. And that is your goal. I've done this dance with you before and nothing has changed. I deal with facts, not a twisted view of reality because someone hurt my poor wittle feelings. Your posts do not serve to inform, they serve to offend and stir up hatred. Keep deluding yourself into thinking it is not your agenda. It's not so original or creative that the reasonable world doesn't see it.

When men are, as you have acknowledged, 20% larger than women, and often larger than that, it would stand to reason that picking up a weapon to defend oneself is more effective than fists. I can assure you that I am going to grab the first heavy object/weapon I can find and hurl it at any man I can't take on myself who is on his way to physically hurting me. If you don't want to be shot, stabbed or killed, or have your face flattened with a cast iron skillet, keep your hands to yourself and pick on someone your own size, like a man who can actually whoop your sorry ass.

And if you think that the only time men commit violence against women is when women hit first, you're even dumber than you have proven already.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:52 PM

2,794 posts, read 3,678,393 times
What do women recommend if the oil wrestling suggestion doesn't work?

Old 06-11-2010, 01:05 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,280,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
When men are, as you have acknowledged, 20% larger than women, and often larger than that, it would stand to reason that picking up a weapon to defend oneself is more effective than fists. I can assure you that I am going to grab the first heavy object/weapon I can find and hurl it at any man I can't take on myself who is on his way to physically hurting me. If you don't want to be shot, stabbed or killed, or have your face flattened with a cast iron skillet, keep your hands to yourself and pick on someone your own size, like a man who can actually whoop your sorry ass
When you said "Pick on someone your own size" I guess this is applied to women as well, right? Why wouldn't I pick on a guy who's 150 pounds heavier than me? Because I know he will stomp on me like a bug. So what do I do if I have a disagreement, anger, etc.? I talk about it and try whatever that won't put me in risk of getting hurt regardless of not looking so cool. It would be foolish for me to try to look all cool and punch the guy and get away with it. Women do it because they know they can get away with it pulling out their gender card when it most suits them. Inside the workplace is "we want equality" outside of the work place is "treat me better, can't you see I am a woman?".

I don't understand why women look all cool/heroic/brave/etc. when slapping, punching, or kicking a guy but once the guy shows her the back of his hand, she suddenly transforms herself into a fragile delicate princess.

Violence shouldn't be tolerated at all regardless of gender or who does it more.

Last edited by onihC; 06-11-2010 at 01:22 PM..

Old 06-11-2010, 01:10 PM

3,688 posts, read 5,014,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
Yes, women only have to contend with rape and stalking. Piece of cake.

With all due respect, wouldn't your post be commensurate with me posting yes, men only have to contend with false accusation in a heavily biased system and harrassment -- same piece of cake...?

Each gender, criminal intent or not, has their weapon of choice, it appears.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:25 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,685,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
With all due respect, wouldn't your post be commensurate with me posting yes, men only have to contend with false accusation in a heavily biased system and harrassment -- same piece of cake...?

Each gender, criminal intent or not, has their weapon of choice, it appears.
Well, of course -- though as an aside, I have to tell you, there are many rapes that don't get reported because of other biases in the system. Trust me, there are. Victims have VERY strong incentives not to report. You would respond, I think, by saying that a lot of DV against men goes unreported, and that's true too. In the end, all this just demonstrates that the wrangling over which gender has it easier in the violence department is really pointless.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:34 PM

3,688 posts, read 5,014,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
Well, of course -- though as an aside, I have to tell you, there are many rapes that don't get reported because of other biases in the system. Trust me, there are. Victims have VERY strong incentives not to report. You would respond, I think, by saying that a lot of DV against men goes unreported, and that's true too. In the end, all this just demonstrates that the wrangling over which gender has it easier in the violence department is really pointless.

When I win the lottery we're leaving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships