Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 08:27 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,936,159 times

Advertisements

So the thread about LDS missionaries got me thinking. How often do missionaries knock on your door? What kind have they been? What do you say to them?

We've never had LDS come to our door. We had JW once. But all the other missionaries that have knocked on our door have been protestants, usually Baptists handing stuff out. I'd say that we get missionaries coming by about 4 times per year. I tell them that I'm a Unitarian Universalist, and they usually don't know what that is. So I try to explain it to them, and they kinda give me a funny look and say 'okay then'. One time I got into quite a debate with a guy over same-sex marriage (and I think I won because he left saying that a more experienced missionary would know the right answers to what I was saying).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 08:40 AM

279 posts, read 1,349,306 times
We get missonaries (not really sure which denomination) every once in a while here. I always look outside to see who is at the door and if it is anyone who is carrying the Bible, I never answer the door. It would just be a waste of both our time.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:47 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,647,817 times
I remember when I was a kid we used to get them all the time but I can only remember once when they've knocked at my door a few years ago when I was living in Denver. I just said I wasn't religious and they were very polite and left. I have this amusing memory of a guy who visited our house in Montana when I was in my teens and when my Dad opened the door the guy held out a book and said "Do you know why this book is green? Because it's growing!" It was such a lame opening line that we laughed about it for months afterwards. My overall feeling though is that if someone feels they're called upon to do this sort of thing and they're polite and not pushy then I'm also going to be polite although it's not something I have any interest in. The only really pushy person who knocked on my door was a vacuum cleaner salesman but that's a whole different story.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:50 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,728,205 times
your question makes me smile. When we were just newly married, and in our first home, two LDS missionaries came to our door. We invited them in, and tried to make them feel welcome by offering them coffee or tea.
What did we know?

They visited us several times, and we had some great discussions! One of the fellows was more mature, more seasoned than the other. The other guy was young, very new to the missionary field, we could tell. He was very interested in what we had to say. We almost had him converted, but the older one saved him. they stopped coming.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:05 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,756,149 times
Ive never had anyone come to my door in 33 years but two times that I didnt know to invite me to church. once a sweet little girl and her mom asking if our kids to go to VBS and the other way back in the 80s when a local church got a new youth pastor. I live right in the middle of the Bible belt, I think our town has more churches than most states-lol. Not a bad thing.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:07 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,080,150 times
Hmmm...probably two or three times a year since I've moved here to southern California.

It's been the same two people each time, except for once. It's two young men in short sleeved white shirts, ties, and Cali style sunglasses, on bikes, and they're such nice people.

They don't "push," really. They don't ask, "Do you want to know how to be saved?" Instead they say, "Are you happy right now or do you want to think about other ways you could be happy?" I sort of like that approach. They just seem really sincere. I mean that sentence could be said with insincerity or like it was read off a script but I think these young men really believe in what they're saying and in their religion and they generally just leave their card, no literature, and ask us to call some time if we want.

Old 06-14-2007, 11:07 AM

646 posts, read 1,611,956 times
I get missionaries at the door about once every couple of months. About half the time they are JW, the other half some protestant sect.

On the street corner near work there is a hardcore fire and brimstone christian guy about once/week.

Jews for Jesus or the LDS approach me on the subway about once/month.

I got my first islamic missionary on the subway last week.

Old 06-14-2007, 11:13 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,827,349 times
We used to get them once or twice a year...but one day my very large yellow lab, Lucy, got out...now you have to know Lucy to understand that she thinks everyone who comes to the house is there to see her and pet her and make a fuss about her...she's a little spoiled that way. So with her scruff up (because it goes up when she's excited as well as angry), tail wagging and big bark she came running out at the missionaries and they ran for the hills....only problem Lucy followed them...which must have made it seem like I had set the dog on them. But I didn't it's just hard to stop a 110 lbs lab when she wants to get where she wants to get...LOL Anyway they got a few houses down and I called Lucy and she came back. I did apologize to the missionaries (and the entire time I was telling them if they just petted her she would stop, but they were too freaked out)...but they never came back again.

Old 06-14-2007, 11:14 AM

954 posts, read 815,031 times
I sure am glad I live up in the mountains!

Old 06-14-2007, 11:17 AM

1,082 posts, read 3,783,507 times
I get the JW, and less frequently the LDS missionaries.
I tell them I am a blood bought bible believing born again Christian, and ask if they want to come in and we can do a study...a few times they have said yes...usually since they know by my reply, I know my Word they just ask to leave there info which I kindly reject...I have read it all, know whats in it. I was getting 2 or 3 sets of them a week, until I started doing this.

MBG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality