Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 10:00 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,824,585 times

Advertisements

Now young men can now go forth into the world Moderator cut: deleted at age 18 instead of 19 and women at 19 instead of 21.

The traditional age requirements have been around for about a century. Church leaders have not given a reason for it. I wonder what brought about the change... especially these days when societal trends for adulthood run in the opposite direction (live with mommy and daddy until you are 30 )?

Any thoughts or ideas?

Last edited by june 7th; 11-27-2012 at 08:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 12:35 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
The traditional age requirements have been around for about a century.
Actually, I think it was last changed around 1960.

Quote:
Any thoughts or ideas?
I got the idea that it was changed because of laws in some countries requiring young men to fill some sort of military obligation. In many parts of the world, young men 18 years of age have been serving missions already so that they are able to complete the mission prior to serving in the military. It's been working out well, so it was determined to implement the same policy worldwide. In the U.S., of course, this will mean that young men won't need to interrupt college for a mission but can serve and mission and then go to college.

Glad to see you were watching Conference, Chango.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:48 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,377,352 times
The LDS church is pragmatic, and no doubt, the younger the better. After all, in LDS families, it is expected that young men go on LDS missions. It is part of the culture and mind set. I have little doubt, that the choke hold on young men is looser as they age, and a year away from home, enjoying the party life of college, has no doubt, led more than one young man into abandoning his families wishes.

Also, in changing the age for young women, this is wise. At 21, a young LDS woman is practically an old maid. And usually missions were for the fat or ugly. Sure, there were some who were very religious, but mostly it really is a stigma that a young LDS woman was not married by age 21.

The lower age requirements is going to help them continue to have a fresh supply of missionaries to convert the heathens.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:27 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,557,504 times
I really like it because they can actually retool the YM/YW programs to be specifically focused on transitioning from Youth-to-Missionary.

Ive always felt that the 1-year gap between 18-19 is somewhat awkward for young men planning for a mission.

In any event, I was more impressed by the age for women being lowered by 2 years-that was very cool. Girls are stronger and more faithful anway imo-not to take anything away from Elder Kristofferson's talk in the priesthood meeting last night when he basically told us to 'man up' and take care of our responsibilities.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:29 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,824,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post

Glad to see you were watching Conference, Chango.
It's hard to miss when my wife is blasting it on full volume while she prays for forgiveness for not being at church because somebody left the chapel door locked.

Anyway, my friends and family within "Mormonia" are getting all apocalyptic over the announcement and are whispering that it's a sign there's not much time left... but I've gotta wonder if the intent is actually a bit of clever cultural manipulation rather than "prophetic inspiration".

I really do think the whole mission thing is the greater part of the secret of the strength and success of Mormons in general. While most kids are out partying and messing around in their late teens to early 20s, young Mormons are getting a course in discipline that makes the military seem easy going and are getting showered by dump truck loads of literal "hard knock" life lessons every day of their 2 years as missionaries. It's an "instant grow-the-hell-up recipe" and with few exceptions, grow they do... becoming confident, disciplined, bold, patient, accustomed to hardship, acquire "salesmanship" skills and other good traits which lead to success in life.

Anybody who lives around Mormons knows the phrase: "leave a boy, come back a man" has never been more true that it is for missionaries. Too bad they get some religious brainwashing in the process, but it inevitably wears off in time.

Anyway, leaving earlier only allows young Mormons to get their lives going earlier with the skills needed to do well in life, giving them a big advantage over their non-mormon peers that will pay big dividends later in their lives.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Anyway, my friends and family within "Mormonia" are getting all apocalyptic over the announcement and are whispering that it's a sign there's not much time left... but I've gotta wonder if the intent is actually a bit of clever cultural manipulation rather than "prophetic inspiration".
I think you're both wrong. There's nothing apocalyptic about it and it's not cultural manipulation. I'd say it's just good common sense.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:25 AM

4 posts, read 3,901 times
The Mormon church might feel they need to get more missionaries out and open up more mission areas, because there will be World War Three in a few years. (The younger the better. Fresh meat, easier to brainwash). Maybe the church wants to convert as many people as they can before all the wars break out. Who knows? Either way I think people eventually make up their minds about religion as they grow up and read and study about their religion and other religions.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:11 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,090,997 times
If it is acceptable to Mormons why should it even concern those of us who are not Mormon. I don't believe any laws are being broken, I don't think it poses any threat to non-Mormons.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:07 PM

1,976 posts, read 1,942,585 times
just don't come at my door i am not interested and expecting me see somebody younger than me an "elder" is insulting

Old 10-08-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggiydog View Post
The Mormon church might feel they need to get more missionaries out and open up more mission areas, because there will be World War Three in a few years. (The younger the better.
There wouldn't actually be any more missionaries; they'd just complete their missionary service at an earlier age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality