Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 06:46 PM

279 posts, read 1,348,618 times

Advertisements

If it were to ever happen, which I highly doubt, I would say "good for you Christians!" And then I would keep looking up to see if all the other religion's Gods were coming down too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2007, 07:04 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,707,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
What I don't understand is why Christians think we as Atheists wouldn't believe if God came down and started talking to us. We're not stupid, and we believe what we do by making a series of scientific evaluations as to what is real and what isn't. From a purely analytical standpoint, science leaves very little room for God and thus I cannot force myself to believe in something that does not exist.
I think God understands that. Thomas wouldn't believe that Christ was risen. They all told him, and he wouldn't believe it until he was able to touch Him and see and touch the wounds. I think there are a lot of "Thomases" here, and you're not the only one.

Montana, you crack me up. No, you are right. It most certainly "wouldn't look good, dude".

tooshort: If it were to ever happen, which I highly doubt, I would say "good for you Christians!" And then I would keep looking up to see if all the other religion's Gods were coming down too.

And if they weren't? Oh-oh. That wouldn't look good either.

Last edited by swbtoo; 06-18-2007 at 07:05 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 06-18-2007, 10:51 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,465,987 times
So far, based on the majority of answers . . . believe or not believe,

most would not believe . . .

Old 06-18-2007, 11:01 PM

954 posts, read 813,974 times
I think that the key word here is 'true'. As a previous poster said "We aren't stupid" and if it really did happen....who wouldn't believe?

Old 06-18-2007, 11:48 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,031,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooshort View Post
If it were to ever happen, which I highly doubt, I would say "good for you Christians!" And then I would keep looking up to see if all the other religion's Gods were coming down too.
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

MontanaGuy's post had me laughing too.

I don't count because I do believe in a God, but it's not the Christian God so is it okay if I respond? I think if I saw a dude coming down from a cloud I'd believe.

As GST pointed out, it's not that atheists, agnostics or deists are stupid or just stubborn or something. We require *proof*. So if the proof were *right there*, well then, there you'd have it.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:13 AM

743 posts, read 2,235,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
We require *proof*. So if the proof were *right there*, well then, there you'd have it.
Have you ever read Thomas Aquinas' "Proofs for the Existance of God" which is in the Summa Theologica?

I've posted this before, but have never had any resposes from the atheist/agnostic folks, so I was just curious.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth ann View Post
Have you ever read Thomas Aquinas' "Proofs for the Existance of God" which is in the Summa Theologica?

I've posted this before, but have never had any resposes from the atheist/agnostic folks, so I was just curious.
I haven't...but I DO believe in God. I just don't believe in Jesus as a deity. I might look that one up...what's the gist?

Old 06-19-2007, 12:24 AM

Uh...no offense, but I just skimmed through, and this guy is definitely on crack.

Lots of double-speak and supposition based on prior suppositions. Interesting *theory* but not *proof*. Since he titled it himself, that's not an accusation--he could have titled it something else...like theory. ETA: For example, the "fact" that humans "naturally" believe in God in some way being proof. First of all, no we don't. If you can find even one person who doesn't believe in God naturally, and there are many, I assure you, then that is incorrect, making it, obviously, not proof. But this dude goes one further by quoting another religious figure as having said the same thing...which then is further proof.

Hooooooooo boy.

Old 06-19-2007, 07:02 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,389,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GASunshine View Post
Okay, I'll go ahead and be the first non-believer to respond to this (although someone else may be typing as I type). I've often told my best friend, a Christian, that it would take me witnessing a miracle, for lack of a better word??, to reconsider my position. I'd have to have a first-hand account. That's just the way it is. First, of course, I would question my sanity. I've been posed this question before and my answer is, I just don't know what I would do. Would I be too proud? Pride is a tricky dilemma for all of us, however we view religion. I can't see into the future, so I don't know what I would do. I just don't know. That's as honest an answer as I can give you. [emphasis added]
Matthew 24:23-25 (Jesus speaking)
"At that time if anyone says to you, 'Look, here is the Christ!' or, 'There he is!' do not believe it. For false Christs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and miracles to deceive even the elect—if that were possible. See, I have told you ahead of time."

Old 06-19-2007, 07:15 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,118,244 times
Whether or not one believes in the Bible, God, Jesus or anything information related to them, there will come a time when, as it states in Romans 14:11, "it is written, as I live, says that Lord, every knee shall bow to Me and every tongue shall confess to God."

So the time is coming whether one is ready or not, like it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality