Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2010, 10:10 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,926,738 times

Advertisements

Fresh outlook and observations for this morning:

1) Consider the source. (both from nutball websites that lack any credibility, and stuff from the guy who reliably posts them, but who has a proven history of prevariacation or wild-a$$ cah-schmoozling [a highly technical term for BSing...]

2) Formal Education Be Damned! I guess I'll just rip up my advanced geology certification from Univ. of Kentucky and my other several degrees, and ask Tom to mail me one or two from his personal basement supply.

Obviously, as Sgt. Schultz* used to say:

"I know nuuuu-think!"

Cutting edge, schmutting edge
, Tom. You believe what you need to my boy. I'll stick with evidentiary truth. And common sense. Oh yeah; that, huh?

*Hogan's Heros, for the younger set.....

Old 07-05-2010, 11:24 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,643,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
2) Formal Education Be Damned! I guess I'll just rip up my advanced geology certification from Univ. of Kentucky and my other several degrees, and ask Tom to mail me one or two from his personal basement supply.

Absolutely. Tear all those worthless certificates into confetti. Here's the only thing you'll ever need. Just print yerself out a free copy, hang it on yer wall, and yer good to go. You'll wow your family and friends, and be the envy of all yer neighbors with yer honest-to-goodness genuine PROOF of yer new expertise.

omniology.com

Old 07-05-2010, 12:18 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,926,738 times
They musta set the printer's "Multiple Copies?" question to "1000" for the NAMI crowd, huh?

Old 07-05-2010, 09:53 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,976,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifertexan View Post
A link from a site that holds seminars at the creation museum in Glen Rose?LMAO!!

How appropriate.A creationist group holding lectures at a proven hoax site.

Well here is a link from earlhamcollege. Physical Geology 2005.

HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE WOOD TO PETRIFY?

(IN THE PAST) IT WAS WIDELY ACCEPTED THAT THE PROCESS OF PETRIFACTION TAKES MILLIONS OF YEARS.) To day it has been suggested that like most gelolgical phenomena, the actual process of petrifaction (HAS LITTLE TO DO WITH THE AMOUNT OF TIME AVAILABLE, BUT INSTEAD THE CONDITIONS.) Under ideal chemical conditions, petrifaction is possible (IN A FEW HUNDRED YEARS.)

Link to earlhamcollege.

Earlham College - Geology 211 - petwood (http://www.earlham.edu/~tinkeem/web/petwood.htm - broken link)

Science is coming up to speed on the time it takes for wood to petrify.
Are you still living in the past?

Old 07-05-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Fresh outlook and observations for this morning:

1) Consider the source. (both from nutball websites that lack any credibility, and stuff from the guy who reliably posts them, but who has a proven history of prevariacation or wild-a$$ cah-schmoozling [a highly technical term for BSing...]

Obviously, as Sgt. Schultz* used to say:

"I know nuuuu-think!"

Cutting edge, schmutting edge, Tom. You believe what you need to my boy. I'll stick with evidentiary truth. And common sense. Oh yeah; that, huh?

*Hogan's Heros, for the younger set.....

Well riflemen, earlhamcollege states, (THAT IN THE PAST IT WAS WIDELY ACCEPTED THAT THE PROCESS OF PETRIFACTION TAKES MILLIONS OF YEARS.)

(TODAY) IT HAS BEEN SUGGESTED THAT LIKE MOST GEOLOGICAL PHENOMENA, THE ACTUAL PROCESS OF PETRIFACTION HAS VERY LITTLE TO DO WITH THE AMOUNT OF TIME AVAILABLE, BUT INSTEAD THE CONDITIONS.

UNDER IDEAL CHEMICAL CONDITIONS, PETRIFACTION IS POSSIBLE (IN A FEW HUNDRED YEARS). Consider the link below.

Earlham College - Geology 211 - petwood (http://www.earlham.edu/~tinkeem/web/petwood.htm - broken link)

Of course we know the speed of petrifaction can be that fast, because of historical examples. Such as the chaple of Saint Maria of Health, which was built in 1630 In Venice, Italy. The chapel was constructed on 180,000 wooden pilings to reinforce it's foundation. Of course after 300 years one would of thought those wooden pilings would need to be replaced. However, it was discovered that such replacement would not be necessary, and that is because all 180,000 pilings, have now petrified. And the chapel now rest on (STONE PILINGS).

Only those who want to live in the past, would still claim that it requires millions of years for wood to petrify riflemen. And those who could ignore such examples, perhaps do so in order to push another false belief.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:48 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,643,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Well here is a link from earlhamcollege. Physical Geology 2005.

HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE WOOD TO PETRIFY?

(IN THE PAST) IT WAS WIDELY ACCEPTED THAT THE PROCESS OF PETRIFACTION TAKES MILLIONS OF YEARS.) To day it has been suggested that like most gelolgical phenomena, the actual process of petrifaction (HAS LITTLE TO DO WITH THE AMOUNT OF TIME AVAILABLE, BUT INSTEAD THE CONDITIONS.) Under ideal chemical conditions, petrifaction is possible (IN A FEW HUNDRED YEARS.)

Link to earlhamcollege.

Science is coming up to speed on the time it takes for wood to petrify.
Are you still living in the past?

Under ideal chemical conditions. Hmm. Are you saying that a volcano would have the "ideal chemical conditions" to petrify the wood of a boat perched near the top of it? BTW, what are those ideal chemical conditions?

It's interesting that the vast majority of links you provide are those with religious affiliations. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but can't you find any links from any secular colleges or universities?
Earlham College Mission Statement (http://www.earlham.edu/mission.html - broken link)

Old 07-05-2010, 10:55 PM

33,567 posts, read 37,175,863 times
Watch the NAMI video again Campbell, and listen when they knock on the wood....It is NOT petrified.

Here is the real NAMI site... NAMI: National Alliance on Mental Illness - Mental Health Support, Education and Advocacy

Old 07-06-2010, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Watch the NAMI video again Campbell, and listen when they knock on the wood....It is NOT petrified.

Here is the real NAMI site... NAMI: National Alliance on Mental Illness - Mental Health Support, Education and Advocacy

As I have stated before sanspeur. The Ark is broken up into, two, or three sections. Not all the sections may be petrified, and there may be sections that are only partially petrified. Such a case of partially petrified wood is spoken of by the poster below.

Re: Re: Re: Re: I have a partially petrified chunk of wood by John on 12/18/2001

Old 07-06-2010, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Under ideal chemical conditions. Hmm. Are you saying that a volcano would have the "ideal chemical conditions" to petrify the wood of a boat perched near the top of it? BTW, what are those ideal chemical conditions?

It's interesting that the vast majority of links you provide are those with religious affiliations. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but can't you find any links from any secular colleges or universities?
Earlham College Mission Statement (http://www.earlham.edu/mission.html - broken link)

According to WikiAnswers. Wood can be petrified in a matter of days or weeks given the right chemical "coctail". And such a mix of chemicals are often found in areas of volcanic activity.

WikiAnswers - How long does it take to petrify wood

Old 07-06-2010, 02:08 AM

33,567 posts, read 37,175,863 times
You are going to have to do better than WikiAnswers. Any wood on ararat would have burned up long ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality