Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2010, 05:39 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,013,927 times

Advertisements

As I daily walk around the city streets of New York City I can't help but notice the sometimes bored and/or uncomfortable look on the faces of those in one religion or another. In Central Park at 90 degrees, I see Muslim women in ALL black, covered from head to toe as their husbands and sons walk in shorts and shot sleeved shirts. I see elderly Jehovah's Witness women in the same heat sitting on park benches in the sweltering heat trying to convince souls that they need to come to their fold to find fulfillment in their lives. I watch the Mormon kids walking in pairs trying to win converts. I saw some Korean women in the Times Square station trying to pass out tracts to people who completely ignore them or give them dirty looks.

I also see Orthodox Jews walking about in black clothing more suited for cold northeastern Europe than the stifling humidity of New York summer. Some smell real musty because of the abundance of dry sweat embedded in their clothing.

Over on Park Ave I see another sect of Jews running people down to sell the idea that some old guy who died is the true messiah.

Do you think that it sometimes occurs to these people that what they are doing is fruitless in the final analysis? Do you think they sit there and wonder, "what the bleep am I really doing?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality