Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Dose to many religions make them all wrong?
Yes to many, there all confused and wrong 13 81.25%
No, there all right in the end 3 18.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 09:39 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
Your examples are fallacious. We are not talking about minor differences between the religions that are merely aesthetic, cultural or based upon individual experience. We are talking about major differences.
So was I, perhaps I was unclear. I'll do this again.

You have to deal with competing theories and claims in many societal aspects. The existence of competing claims doesn't tell us that they are all right or all wrong. For example.

There are various competing ideas on how to unify Quantum Physics with Relativity. We don't know which one is right yet and maybe the truth is a synthesis of several theories. However some theories are likely to be closer to reality than others and there's bound to be some that are so fringe they can't possibly be right.

Or let's say the President makes a speech. The different pundits focus on different things and interpret "what he meant" in various, even contradictory, ways. This is more similar to the denominational squabbles within a religious movement. (As within Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, etc)

The need to be "fair about ideas", and to say all claims/beliefs are equal, might lead to the idea that they are all right or all wrong. Or that the truth is a mix of them.

The mixed theory is a different matter, but I don't see any need to say "all claims are equal." It seems obvious to me not all claims are equal. A stand-up comic with little formal education claiming he's discovered cheap nuclear fusion is not equal to an observatory claiming to discover a new star. A lone individual claiming to see a UFO is not equal to thousands of people claiming to witness a miracle.

If this is still unclear for you I'm sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 09:58 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,182,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
The existence of competing claims doesn't tell us that they are all right or all wrong.
The mere proliferation of literally thousands of different variations on what truth is, is a prime example of how easily misled people are. This might not nullify their claims (because what they claim can't be proven or disproven anyway), but it makes anything that our race espouses and attempts to interpret in the spiritual realm dubious at best because of our imperfections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality