Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 08:35 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,212,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
So last night, I am outside with my husband drinking a mojito, he had his beer, all was well. Our neighbor pulled up, very nice guy, who grabs a beer and comes and talks. He is a Christian, we know this, no problems, get along fine. We laugh and joke and I keep my mouth shut while he makes references to Jesus and all. Everything was fine until he mentioned that he told a Jewish joke to a Jewish guy and he thinks he offended him. He laughed and said it was about the holocaust. My husband looks at me right away because my grandmother lost much of her family at the camps ( not Jewish but helped them). Still I kept quite. Then he said what I found so offensive I almost screamed, he said " well what do they expect when you kill Jesus Christ" "You kill Christ, well God said I got something for ya" hahahahaha, he laughed. I kept quite, until he decided it was time to go in then I went in the house and cried. How could someone think that way, I just dont get it.
Some folks are just truly ignorant and, unlike you, I would have felt it was my duty to set him straight right then and there. Saying nothing truly did him a disservice because he may be thinking that you are of a like mind as himself. I'd advise the next time he comes over, casually let him know how is comments affected you and why. You can't educate the IGNORANT unless you educate them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 08:38 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:
Thanks for that. Thing is, other than that statement he has been great, we have always been able to laugh and have a good time, even playing cards and such. I am just in shock that came out of him, and more dumbfounded I didn't just tell him, I am an atheist and dont follow his warped belief. To be a believer is one thing, I can deal with that, even be friends with them, no problem, but to basically say they got what was coming to them, or condone mass killing because they dont follow your beliefs just goes beyond what I can accept.
Unfortunately this world has a lot of people that, though reasonable in all other ways, have some deep-seated bias/prejudice toward someone/something. Trouble is...most of them don't even see it as a bad thing. They somehow reconcile and justify the evil hatred. It's always been that way, and it's always going to be that way, with people like that.

You can see the mindset even lives on this board. Hold your head up, square your shoulders, and move forward with peace and love shielding your heart. The hateful will think what they think...and neither you, I, nor anyone else can change them. Don't pay any attention to the negative vibe they put out...it will only mess up your quality of life experience. Who needs that in their life? Put out a vibe of extra peace and love to counteract the hateful vibe.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:54 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,636,292 times
Quote:
...because my grandmother lost much of her family at the camps ( not Jewish but helped them).
It's an awkward situation because the guy also happens to be a neighbor of yours. It sounds like he has no tact or compassion and feels like the slaughter of masses of people is no big deal. Perhaps next time you see him, you should tell him you've been thinking about what he said, and tell him about your grandmother's losses even though it had nothing to do with her views of religion. You might also ask him since he claims to be a Christian does he thinks Jesus would approve of such distasteful jokes and comments. Then tell him that tasteless comments like that seem rather hypocritical for someone who claims to be a Christian which is one reason why you prefer being an atheist. As tempting as it might be try to remain tactful and non-critical of the guy, that is, don't directly make it personal and point the finger of blame at him, even though he probably deserves it. Try to approach it as being disagreeable concepts rather than blaming him personally. He'll either apologize or he'll make another snappy comment. In the latter case, he might decide it might not be appreciated for him to drop over again for another visit.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:40 AM

55 posts, read 70,258 times
I think the joke is in bad taste not only the holocaust statement but for the fact that God is vengeful(of a particular race) for the killing of His Son,when Christ knew that He was to be crucified in the first place, how ludicrous. The guy needs to engage his brain first and then secondly his mouth for the words that come out of it or just keep it shut period.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:54 AM

123 posts, read 131,330 times
Quote:
I dont even know what the joke was, he never actually told me!!! He just said he thinks he offended the guy, then went on to say the Jewish people need to get over it," I mean they did kill Christ what did they expect." How can someone so cool, have such thoughts and beliefs. He is 27 a father of three beautiful girls, happily married, seemed really cool
Some diseases can't be spotted.

I don't think this person is "cool". He is a sick individual who doesn`t know squat about compassion. He was looking for you guys to support his bigotry.

You did show great restraint but at the same time, your silence might have been misconstrued as agreement.

He would have known in no uncertain terms that he was no longer welcome in my space.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:15 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,983,037 times
A lot of people say that they are "Christian" but the way they think and live are completely opposite. I`ve been around those kind of people myself so many times. Just because someone says that they are Christian, doesn`t make them one.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:43 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,235,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
You need to think long and hard about your words. Genocide no matter where it occurs is horrific. Not a joke and not to be compared, horrific.
Genocide never goes away for the immediate victims or to those who are inheritors of the legacy of genocide. Genocide lasts generations, its impact lasts generations. No one should be told ever to "get over it"

Imagine you are the only survivor of a whole family... We are not talking about an event in ancient history. The survivors still among us as are their children and grandchildren.

That is myt Point..exactly...Killing people is wrong...But it continues today as it was yesterday!!!

And that Pit of dispare is being created by who, or what?..or both?

And to Say I have pitty or remorse for them who died, and lived in that terrible day...while the very same thing is being done, by those who support it directly or indirectly is in my mind Hypocrital...and then to say Let us Hate this one or that one for making bad jolkes about the Human tragidy which is not only in the past...But is still going on today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And who supports this?

Well...is it a Joke to say we are sorry , or we have remorse, when it is we who are in support of making it be?

Get a grip, open your eyes...smell the dead blood..it is being dashed on You and me, and them....

Oh they have familes too...be they painted criminals, terrorist, warlords, religious fanatics...etc etc etc...always pointing the finger at the wrong things...turn that finger around and look in the mirror...and You will see the same mustash Hiltler wore on your own face!

Cause they are still making wars with lies and for profits and gains, and a bent democracy which is killing the planet more and more each and every day!!!!!...and pointing the finger at People who Just want to live...the way they want to live...to kill them and suck up their blood so they can live in luxury and sip beer and dink, and say all is well...again Hypocritical Jibberish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now ..Was Jesus Right about the "engraven Idol" made way too important for Life...as he Kicked it out of his fathers house?
No he was not!

And as long as we hold it dear to our lives...this madness will continue.

Yes it is a big JoKe!....eventually it will all come out untwisted...when we point that finger at ourselves, and look at the dead planet we all helped make!

But till then...ALL IS WELL? and Going to that end...let me sip my beer, and sing about my family that died on the other side of the coin...while I burn their blood into the enviromet to pollute it more, so I can say and point the finger at someone else, and cry out in my mornful and discustful demeaner, not only to slander that one who jokes about Killing people(our stupidity in making the pit of dispare) But who brought me reflective pain of my losses, to hate the religion of him to...and get everyone else (who does not see clearly)to support My madness, and hatred of christians who Joke about it more...because it is still being done today by those who claim they do no wrong, and all is well!

Get over it...Jesus said to put down the sword of dispare!...God says Thou shall not Kill!

Now if we cannot put these indifferences aside..(not that they are not valide) but that they harbour ill will towards others who had nothing to do with the events of past lives lost...
But if we are to harbour those losses truly and honourably...we should not make more of the same on either side....and so..to bring hatred into play here on Christians or anyother ethnic group...while this world is now at war in many different forms...still killing people...for what ever reason...is still making dispare, and hatred festor!
And the pit of dispare is then part of our own making....so do we truly honour and learn from the tragidy if we continue to make it?

That is my point...whether it is directly or indirectly supported...Killing people is now a game!

And that is the biggest Joke of all!

And we all support it with our taxed hand, and the IDol, and the blood....So in what way do we honour them now?...by bringing more hatred to the fire?

See...it is Not all is well, and it is not let us drink and be merry...is it?

SO again the Joke is on us!

Have a polluted day!

And be mindful of what you do..and what you are in partnership with....cause it all ties you to something....and from where I am standing...everyone is guilty!...Even me!

Last edited by Sir Les; 07-02-2010 at 11:23 AM..

Old 07-02-2010, 11:46 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,224,246 times
Nea,

You are an atheist, right? Does anyone in your neighborhood know this, or suspect it? I was getting a feeling that this guy was trying to see how you'd react to his "fun-poking" to see if you were "with him or against him." If neighbors have been whispering busy-bodies wondering what your religion is and noticing that you have not been going to church, etc. this guy, in his drunken state, may have tried a round-about way to find out if you were a "christ-believer" or one who would not stand up for christ.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:24 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,670,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythunderstood View Post
Nea,

You are an atheist, right? Does anyone in your neighborhood know this, or suspect it? I was getting a feeling that this guy was trying to see how you'd react to his "fun-poking" to see if you were "with him or against him." If neighbors have been whispering busy-bodies wondering what your religion is and noticing that you have not been going to church, etc. this guy, in his drunken state, may have tried a round-about way to find out if you were a "christ-believer" or one who would not stand up for christ.
He wasn't drunk yet, he just got home from work and grabbed a beer. Many in our neighborhood do not attend church even he has missed it, but they do bible readings often, he knows we don't go, but he does not know we are atheists, I think he just assumes everyone is a believer. I think he just thinks everyone thinks that way. I dont think he gets out of his circle much.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:02 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,159,932 times
I would have informed him that it wasn't the Jews that killed Christ - it was his GOD. This allegedly omnipotent, super-intelligent "supreme being" couldn't come up with a better system of forgiving sins than having his son brutally murdered, and therefore he isn't really such a supreme being after all.

Then I'd give him a short non-revisionist history lesson on the true origins of the Old Testament and Christ myths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality