Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 03:43 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,548,187 times

Advertisements

Science is the study of nature and seeks natural explanations. It's about "how" questions to a large degree.

Religion involves the supernatural and the study of meaning. It's about "why" questions.

Science is solely done by humans so yes it will abandon what it finds is incorrect and change because human knowledge is never perfect. Religion may clarify and evolve as well, but along with reason it has revelation. This allows it to have truths which are simply true, because they come from the source of Truth, and do not need to change.

If one wants to be on a constant quest than science alone is fine. If one wants something stable and solid in their life science alone will not provide that. Science is not there to tell you why you exist or to give you anything to hold onto. It will not give any "Truth" in an ultimate way because that is not its purpose. If you prefer that, again fine for you. I don't.

I like science for what it is, an effort to understand nature by natural means, but I don't need or want it to be anything more than that in my life. I want to have some things solid and true. I don't need or want that kind of never-ending quest to dominate my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 05:23 PM

1,883 posts, read 3,002,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigetmax24 View Post
Can "religion" really deny or affirm anything?

It seems to me your beef is with certain individual/collective people or organizations that appear to have different views than you do with respect to Biblical hermeneutics.

If you can reasonably demonstrate that "creationism, Noah and the Flood, geocentrism and hundreds of years old people" are being widely misinterpreted, why not go ahead and do so?

It seems to me, just as is the case with science, there are many things in scripture that will remain a mystery. Personally, I'm perfectly okay with not having all the answers rather than pretending to know things that no one can possibly know, prove or reasonably demonstrate.

The examples I gave are just that,examples of the mindset,not an all inclusive list.

As far as the ones I mentioned being widely misinterpreted,if you seriously think that a large part of Christianity doesn't disagree with science on these,then please show me.I am not wasting time showing people things that are self evident from reading any number of threads on CD and/or searching the internet.You are perfectly capable of enlightening yourself on this issue if you wish.

Old 07-11-2010, 05:29 PM

1,883 posts, read 3,002,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Science is the study of nature and seeks natural explanations. It's about "how" questions to a large degree.

Religion involves the supernatural and the study of meaning. It's about "why" questions.

Science is solely done by humans so yes it will abandon what it finds is incorrect and change because human knowledge is never perfect. Religion may clarify and evolve as well, but along with reason it has revelation. This allows it to have truths which are simply true, because they come from the source of Truth, and do not need to change.

If one wants to be on a constant quest than science alone is fine. If one wants something stable and solid in their life science alone will not provide that. Science is not there to tell you why you exist or to give you anything to hold onto. It will not give any "Truth" in an ultimate way because that is not its purpose. If you prefer that, again fine for you. I don't.

I like science for what it is, an effort to understand nature by natural means, but I don't need or want it to be anything more than that in my life. I want to have some things solid and true. I don't need or want that kind of never-ending quest to dominate my life.
You totally misunderstand the point.The issue raised HERE is how science is willing to alter what it knows as new evidence,from further scientific inquiry,comes to light.Religion works just the opposite and prefers to stonewall and deny that it may not be totally correct.

The issue is not which one is better for a guide for living.Science,as you say,does not try to answer spiritual questions.It sticks with what it knows,and seeks the truth about the physical world without addressing the spiritual.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:22 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,178,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigetmax24 View Post
Can "religion" really deny or affirm anything?
Then why does it attempt to? If it can't, why bother? I really am interested in your answer(s).

Old 07-12-2010, 04:16 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,164,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post

Except these IDEAS don't come from a source of "truth" but a person.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:26 PM

1,513 posts, read 1,623,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Then why does it attempt to? If it can't, why bother? I really am interested in your answer(s).
"Religion" can't affirm or deny anything because it's not a person.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:55 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,178,279 times
Well...never mind. I had hoped for better. But it's just as well, I suppose.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:36 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,968,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
The fundamental difference is that science looks to answer questions that are so far unknown....Religion thinks it has all the answers, so never questions what they believe...God dunit.

And when Biblical facts are found, nonbelievers look for ways to ignore those facts. So in a sense, science also is guilty of not questioning what they believe.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:10 AM

817 posts, read 2,250,248 times
Religion doesn't discredit science...religious whackos do.

Most Christians accept science and make it work with religion. It's only the nuts and the ignorant that try to discredit science.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:17 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,968,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin from Tampa View Post
Religion doesn't discredit science...religious whackos do.

Most Christians accept science and make it work with religion. It's only the nuts and the ignorant that try to discredit science.

Some beliefs pushed by those of science, is not always science. And some would be mistaken if they believe all what passes for science, is built on truth. Science has floated theories, that are supported by assumptions only, and not on evidence. Yet often such theories are considered scientific facts, only because someone in a white lab coat suggest they are. It is not only religious whackos that mislead people, we have so called scientific theories, that are just as misleading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality