Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 01:00 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,201,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Sounds like you are pretty familiar with a lot of the suburbs of Big D!
Dallas is indeed too hot in the summer although this one has been rainy and not as bad so far. But we will probably need to make our get together in about October! It's usually about in the 70's by then! And we can argue about whether Christians should celebrate Halloween then! LOL!
LOL, kay, I'm sure we all would argue that! October sounds great, actually it's only about 4 months or so out of the year that's too hot for me...the rest is great.

Wierd that you call Dallas the Big D...I live in the burbs of Detroit now, and it's also called the Big D!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 01:16 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,494,050 times
Jeff, how would you describe the changes in Detroit in the last year or two. Some people say they feel like it is a ghost town. Everyone is losing jobs, schools are closing due to huge enrollment drops, etc......

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
LOL, kay, I'm sure we all would argue that! October sounds great, actually it's only about 4 months or so out of the year that's too hot for me...the rest is great.

Wierd that you call Dallas the Big D...I live in the burbs of Detroit now, and it's also called the Big D!

Old 06-27-2007, 01:34 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,201,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Jeff, how would you describe the changes in Detroit in the last year or two. Some people say they feel like it is a ghost town. Everyone is losing jobs, schools are closing due to huge enrollment drops, etc......

Dawn
Well, because I'm a mod, I have to tell you to get a better viewpoint on that you should check out the Michigan forums.

I didn't move here until July of last year, so I've been here just under a year. I would say generally it's the same as it was when I got here, which was on a decline. There are probably a few more closed businesses, a few more abandoned homes...

Detroit itself is a different monster than it's suburbs, and also than the state in general. Detroit has some good parts, and still has some interesting sites to see. They have really done alot in the past few years to greatly improve the safety and desirability of the downtown/riverfront area, as well as Wayne State and the Cultural Center nearby. But really, at least half of the city, if not considerably more, is a shell of it's former self. It's sad to see the beautiful architecture and to think that Detroit, 100 years ago, was called "The Paris of the West".

The suburbs have traditionally done better than the city itself for decades. But, the entire state is going through severe fiscal difficulties, loss of thousands of jobs, ect...so that affects us all. So, the burbs are finally starting to see alot of the problems spread out from Detroit. Generally though, the 'burbs are still in considerably better condition than the D.

I really can't wait to see it turn around. Michigan has so much natural beauty, is surrounded by the Great Lakes in addition to have over 11,000 small lakes! The public schools in most cities and towns are above the national average. The health care here is 2nd to none. We aren't MI natives, and have fallen in love with it here, flaws and all.

Old 06-27-2007, 02:41 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,388,870 times
Default Hey! I've got an idea!

Plano in October sounds great, but too much work for all involved. I thought we could join the Rance caravan, 'cause at least there would be neutral parties to break up the arguments created by those of us on this forum, but that might spoil the trip for that happy-go-lucky group. So....I've come up with the perfect solution!

Everyone can come to my house! I live out in the middle of no-where Alaska. There's lots of places we can dispose of the atheists and anyone else who doesn't agree with me! (Why not, they're suspicious of us anyway! ) I'll bribe the local law enforcement officer to look the other way by plying him with my homemade lasagna and cheesecake. (Heck, he'd probably help us dispose of the bodies!) Then the rest of us can go door-to-door bashing my friends and neighbors over the head with our Bibles; anyone who resists will get tossed into the river with the others! Once the whole community is converted, we can set up our own little commune, live off the land, and go back to the internet to sucker in the next batch of athiests...um victims...um friends (yeah, that the word, "friends") that we want to get to know!

I'd love to meet each and every one of you. Any takers?

Old 06-27-2007, 02:53 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,422,817 times
*Rob donning his dunce cap*

Are we seriously talking about everyone getting together somewhere to meet? If so, it HAS to be near an amusement park, because I want to force-feed cotton candy and hotdogs to Jeff, and then get him on a twisting rollercoaster and watch him hurl!

Mean, aren't I?

I love ya', Jeff. You know that.

Old 06-27-2007, 02:57 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,274,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
*Rob donning his dunce cap*

Are we seriously talking about everyone getting together somewhere to meet?
I jokingly suggested we could meet at my house in Dallas. Problem is my husband would probably have a cow! Blue suggested her place in Alaska but since she also had a...ahem...plan for disposing of the atheists and anyone else who didn't agree with us in the group, we might end up doing some prison ministry (on the wrong side of the bars!)

So, no, we are not. Unless someone comes up with something realistic!

Old 06-27-2007, 03:09 PM

I live in Charlotte, NC (as of 2 years ago) and I read a huge article in our paper about how the Charlotte school district is heading up to Detroit to recruit teachers because of the large number of teachers losing jobs in the schools. I didn't find out what the result of that job fair was.

I was on the MI boards a bit and one guy asked about teaching there and everyone was very quick to point out that it is next to impossible to get a teaching position in MI right now.

I actually much prefer the Western part of MI, near Lake MI. I wouldn't mind taking a look at living in that area, but not sure if either of us could get jobs there.

It is sad.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
Well, because I'm a mod, I have to tell you to get a better viewpoint on that you should check out the Michigan forums.

I didn't move here until July of last year, so I've been here just under a year. I would say generally it's the same as it was when I got here, which was on a decline. There are probably a few more closed businesses, a few more abandoned homes...

Detroit itself is a different monster than it's suburbs, and also than the state in general. Detroit has some good parts, and still has some interesting sites to see. They have really done alot in the past few years to greatly improve the safety and desirability of the downtown/riverfront area, as well as Wayne State and the Cultural Center nearby. But really, at least half of the city, if not considerably more, is a shell of it's former self. It's sad to see the beautiful architecture and to think that Detroit, 100 years ago, was called "The Paris of the West".

The suburbs have traditionally done better than the city itself for decades. But, the entire state is going through severe fiscal difficulties, loss of thousands of jobs, ect...so that affects us all. So, the burbs are finally starting to see alot of the problems spread out from Detroit. Generally though, the 'burbs are still in considerably better condition than the D.

I really can't wait to see it turn around. Michigan has so much natural beauty, is surrounded by the Great Lakes in addition to have over 11,000 small lakes! The public schools in most cities and towns are above the national average. The health care here is 2nd to none. We aren't MI natives, and have fallen in love with it here, flaws and all.

Old 06-27-2007, 03:11 PM

Oh dear......another controvery I seem to have missed.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Sounds like you are pretty familiar with a lot of the suburbs of Big D!
Dallas is indeed too hot in the summer although this one has been rainy and not as bad so far. But we will probably need to make our get together in about October! It's usually about in the 70's by then! And we can argue about whether Christians should celebrate Halloween then! LOL!

Old 06-27-2007, 03:12 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,516,611 times
I love this forum and all of you guys..I feel like you are all part of my family..I have been busy almost my whole life raising kids and grandbabies that I never had much time for adult friends. Over the years I never spoke out my religious beliefs or opinions because I always got shot downI know that I don't argue too much, because I am just not very good at it. Besides I have never totally disagreed with any of youHowever, Blue aint no angel when it comes to society scum and I speak up on thatIt is nice to know that if I need any spiritual comfort that I can go to almost anyone here. If I want a friend just to listen to me and give me some advice I know I can talk to any one of the athiests. I would really like to meet all of you face to face...Why don't ya'll come on down for a pig roast, and an old fashioned song fest

Old 06-27-2007, 03:57 PM

954 posts, read 813,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Why don't ya'll come on down for a pig roast, and an old fashioned song fest
Shall Montana and I bring our guitars?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality