Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 03:53 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,976,114 times

Advertisements

If you believe there is, how would you define the term and have you ever known one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 03:57 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times
Katszbur
I would have to say it is somebody that is not positive but leans heavily towards the idea that there IS a god/supreme being of some sort whereas the run-of-the-mill agnostic probably leans towards there not being any
Know any? Yeah...I think my spouse may be one

Old 08-27-2010, 04:31 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,512,801 times
Count me as one, I guess. I am SINCERELY HOPING that there's someone out there, somewhere, who has the plan and the power. Otherwise I'm waiting for the sound of THE BIG FLUSH...

Old 08-27-2010, 04:46 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,840,489 times
As philosophical faiths go we have the differing views from different philosophies. The faith begins in anything from the existence of sub-atomic particles to ourselves with the cause of being in the world. What we do is less important; further, to the great chain of Being we feel that life is the consensual proof for just having a Self for being justified for the wealth we own, being within the framework of the law and that we have not stepped outside the bounds.

In this way the faiths wish the common supreme being; truly it is prerogative to believe in the One God of all mankind, and that makes peace the gift of everything we could dream of. War has purpose also, and that purpose is that we make peace; one side wins and the other side loses.

In this way the faiths remain peculiarly different and the human ranting of never themselves any conscionable expectation for Good Well to do amongst oneself All belong amongst the rest in their small involvement in the community. In short, the faith is never a true gift from God; it is never beyond the meagre interpretation of comparative words.

But where is there such a gift from God? It may be that all people are agnostic thieves; it may be that all people essentially want the believing they do to either come in touch with distrusting godless virtues, failing the common supreme being, or be the failure for believing in anything for the hypocrisy of trusting Mankind with a consistent common appreciation for goodness.

And God tells us to trust the War we are fighting.

Nationalism may be the agnostic thief.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:40 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,386,350 times
I was sent to a Catholic high school, and I had a theology teacher in 9th grade (she was a nun) that I think was an agnostic theist. She kept saying that no one can prove the existence of a god or the stories in the bible and that it was a matter of faith (which she claimed to have). She defined faith as believing in something without proof of its existence. To me that seemed pretty much like an agnostic theist. (realized it can't be proven, yet believed it anyway). Oddly enough, she was a large influence in my own (lack of) belief.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:54 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
I was sent to a Catholic high school, and I had a theology teacher in 9th grade (she was a nun) that I think was an agnostic theist. She kept saying that no one can prove the existence of a god or the stories in the bible and that it was a matter of faith (which she claimed to have). She defined faith as believing in something without proof of its existence. To me that seemed pretty much like an agnostic theist. (realized it can't be proven, yet believed it anyway). Oddly enough, she was a large influence in my own (lack of) belief.
That's interesting. I strongly, strongly believe in God, in an afterlife, and all that goes with it, but I would agree with your teacher that none of these things can be proven and have to be accepted on faith. Since I believe it's pretty much impossible to know for sure, I'd kind of have to describe myself as an agnostic, but I would be very hesitant to use that word because it implies a definite lack of belief. So in that regard, it doesn't describe me.

I'm interested in how she influenced your lack of belief.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:35 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,862,986 times
See....I don't understand what "agnostic" is. For me, agnosticism doesn't exist. I mean, you either have a belief that gods exist (theist) or you don't (atheist). If you accept that gods may or may not exist (agnostic) then that means that you accept the possibility that gods may exist and therefore, have a belief in gods...which makes you theist.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:40 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,960,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
See....I don't understand what "agnostic" is. For me, agnosticism doesn't exist. I mean, you either have a belief that gods exist (theist) or you don't (atheist). If you are not sure whether or not gods exist (agnostic) then that means that you accept the possibility that gods may exist and therefore, accept the existence of gods...which makes you theist.
An agnostic Theist would be someone like me. I believe that a God exists, but don't claim to know everything about said God, or condemn everyone who does not believe in said God, like the religious subscribers do. Agnostic Theists would be those who would not rule out the possibility of a God's existence, and therefore could never be considered Atheist.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:41 PM

33,548 posts, read 37,151,051 times
Agnostic = fence sitter.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:43 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,960,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Agnostic = fence sitter.
Isn't that where all should be, since no one has proof?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality