Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 12:42 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,672,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinbalad View Post
You making a generalization that I am uneducated makes you seems uneducated yourself...

I guess the educated always retort to name calling when the argument goes sour....

sheeple...baaa, baaa
I think it is more about being uneducated in the reality of the bible.

Argument didnt go sour on our end, you tried to end it by saying the typical christian threat of burning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 12:43 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminatus7 View Post
I thought the bible was meant to be a book of peace, but after discovering the following, I have been left somewhat shaken.
The Bible was not "meant" to be a "book of peace." That's just something some people came up with over the years.

And just for the record, it's not necessarily the case that you have to go to Christians for answers. I happen to be Jewish, and I couldn't help but notice that almost every excerpt you quoted came from Jewish scripture, not Christian.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:06 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,212,046 times
Quote:
You making a generalization that I am uneducated makes you seems uneducated yourself...

I guess the educated always retort to name calling when the argument goes sour....

sheeple...baaa, baaa
How do you deduce that MY argument is the one that went sour???

Old 09-01-2010, 01:11 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times
Quote:

sheeple...baaa, baaa
One that is educated on the history of religion will have a tough time being religious. That is what she was saying.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:13 PM

446 posts, read 552,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
One that is educated on the history of religion will have a tough time being religious. That is what she was saying.
Really...hows does that work?

Does education in science lead one to be unscientific?

I don't see the correlation

Old 09-01-2010, 01:14 PM

446 posts, read 552,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
How do you deduce that MY argument is the one that went sour???
Well, you are the one that started name calling, just saying...

I simply stated a belief that Christians hold true, I didn't name call or call you stupid, I simply stated a belief.

You called me an unducated sheeple...seems a little contrary to the discussion...

Old 09-01-2010, 01:20 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,212,046 times
Quote:
Well, you are the one that started name calling, just saying...

I simply stated a belief that Christians hold true, I didn't name call or call you stupid, I simply stated a belief.

You called me an unducated sheeple...seems a little contrary to the discussion...
No, you are wrong...I didn't call you personally an uneducated sheeple....I was actually referring to all religionsists/christians who don't take the time to actually study the origins of religious beliefs and the origins of the bible but just accept what other Christians and their bible tell them is the truth. If the shoe fits....

Old 09-01-2010, 01:42 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times
Quote:
Really...hows does that work?

Does education in science lead one to be unscientific?

I don't see the correlation
Bad analogy, and here is why. Science is based on proof (ie, truth). Religion is based on blind faith (ie, might be true, but will most likely be false). It wasn't always that way with religion though. That's why I stated that you should do some research on the origins of "God" in human culture. Either you take me up on that challenge or you don't. I've read the bible. I've been religious. Where you are right now is a "been there, done that" scenario for me my friend.

Trust me, if your God and belief is "the truth", then you have nothing to lose by taking my challenge. However, you seem to be in doubt of your own faith; thus reluctant to take any challenge that might make you question your faith even further.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:49 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,024,660 times
Quote:
I believe God is truth, Love, Goodness, and many other things. I also believe his Word is the Truth. Period. What has been written has been written.

Man's ideas are in the Bible only in the sense that some things need to be "dumbed" down for us humans to be able to comprehend, but there are many mysteries in the Bible we will never comprehend, until we are united with the Host of Angels in Heaven. The Bible has been and still is God's inspired Word written for us to read.

What makes us happy makes God happy?? So abortion makes God happy? What about stealing? You are going down a very slippery slope into relativism, I am not sure you want to go there...
Dumbed down? Are you forgetting that the bible, the OT, was written over 2000 years ago? Are you saying we are becoming more stupid and education in this time makes us dumber than the folks who lived in those times? Wow, you must be a real cake of a person to believe that we have not progressed at all since Jesus walked with us.

I do believe that there are things written in the bible that contradict the laws we have in place today. So, that would make those parts of the bible OBSOLETE and of no use to us now. That would also mean that not everything written in the bible is true. It may have once been true, but no longer. Our truths change while God's truths never change. As we progress spiritually, we become perfect as our father is perfect. When we hold onto the "once was" we stagnate our own souls and cannot progress.

You stick to the once was and I'll progress by evolving to perfection through experience and love. Lets see who gets there first, huh?

And yes, God gave us FREE WILL. He will never cross the boundries of us using that will. So stealing to one is not the same as stealing to another. If one is happy stealing, God is happy because that is what God wants from us. Oh, they will still pay the penalty for their disharmonies but God is still happy as long as the one is happy. Don't you know that? That's in your bible. Maybe you shouldn't dwell on the plainly seen things and read between the lines. But Since you read "the word of God" your perfect and everyone else will end up "burning in hell" or something like that. I get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality