Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 08:33 AM

56 posts, read 94,636 times

Advertisements

Parents are not always fair towards their children but the Lord God is as we as humans make choices from childhood to adulthood,if we do not accept Jesus Christ as our Lord and Saviour,we perish in hell,not God's choice but our own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 08:39 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,684,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perwil3356 View Post
Parents are not always fair towards their children but the Lord God is as we as humans make choices from childhood to adulthood,if we do not accept Jesus Christ as our Lord and Saviour,we perish in hell,not God's choice but our own.
Oh, here we go again with the free-will-it's-not-god's-decision crapola.

Old 09-18-2010, 02:18 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,106,222 times
Time for me to come clean.

I asked for an opinion before hand, because my target, so to speak, are theists who basically agree that it is unfair to add punishments arbitrarily so that I can show them where their God does that immoral thing and thus either open their theist eyes to their unjust God. That and see how they respond in knowing that they do not follow their God and have broken the first commandment by putting their own common sense and or philosophy above God’s.
They are to emulate god in every way and in this, they will not. if they are thinkers, it will disturb them and cause them, I hope, to doubt the literal version of the Bible.
I do not care if they maintain their faith. It is literal reading that is evil and deadly to common sense as well as moral sense.
If I ask it in a religious way first, they will try to bob and weave away from what they themselves believe and do.
Theists are the only ones who can B S themselves into believing their own lies. They let their faith drown out what they know to be a truth.
-----------------------------------------
Think of the myth of Adam and Eve.
God’s warning and description of the consequences or punishment was that they would surely die. That was it.
We can argue that it was the death of their innocence or their physical death but regardless of which, it was only death that was indicated as the punishment or consequence. In fact, we know that the penalty of physical death was only imposed later so we should be able to conclude with confidence that it was the death of innocence that God was alluding to.
After the infraction He arbitrarily adds much more punishment than what He indicated in His covenant with Adam and Eve.
God can't break a promise yet He does.
My covenant I will not break, nor alter the word that has gone out of my lips.
—Psalm 89:34
Genesis has God definitely breaking His covenant.

14And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life:
15And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.
16Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.
17And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;
18Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field;
19In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.
20And Adam called his wife's name Eve; because she was the mother of all living.
21Unto Adam also and to his wife did the LORD God make coats of skins, and clothed them.
22And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:
23Therefore the LORD God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken.
24So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.
I call that an example of immoral parenting that no self respecting parent should follow. When they do not, they break the first commandment and rightfully place their moral views above God’s.

Regards
DL

Old 09-18-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
If a non believer does not believe because your God has kept himself hidden from him and he suddenly finds himself before God and can of course no longer doubt and must now believe and choose heaven or hell, how many people do you think insane enough to choose hell?
If that insane, would a good God not cure them instead of giving them everlasting torture because they are as insane as he made them?

I would suggest that the number would be 0 and that that fact elliminates the need for a hell. Right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF6I5VSZVqc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZM3FXlLMug

Regards
DL

Old 09-18-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Oh, here we go again with the free-will-it's-not-god's-decision crapola.
I am with you buddy but you can only give their minds a rebirth through logic and reason.

I do not always suffer fools well or follow my own advise, I am a grouchy old ****, as you might know, but I see that my advise is not too bad.

I have done worse than what you have done I am sure and try to learn from my own advice.

Regards
DL

Old 09-18-2010, 06:11 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,461,151 times
Quote:
This virile idea is a putrid folly of basic human stupidity with which I find myself constantly disgusted with. The smug, arrogant, and pompous absurdity and "Neener-neener boo-boo, I'm going to heaven and not you" mentality is a symbolic reference of the sick mentalities of those who demand to be right. There is nothing gracious about this sort of demented mentality or belief. I'm convinced that those who worship such a bastard God are merely showing their extreme narcissism behind their faith. I'd rather spit on such a God than worship a being that would choose to convict me of thought crime, punish me for not groveling at his numinous feet, or kissing his ass with everything that I do. If heaven is the domain of such a tyrant, it's better off being empty and I'd prefer to be in hell. This particular strain of Christianity is a bane to human existence and deserves absolutely no respect.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:36 PM

409 posts, read 399,562 times
The punishment should fit the crime.

Not making the bed, grounded for two days. An ideal punishment.

Not obeying your creator who gave you everything. Listen to a liar instead. Pass down sin and death that would cause much heartache, bloodshed, pain and suffering. All that God punished them with, was deserving.

Reading that and really thinking on it, I'm so glad I believe in God.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:06 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
This virile idea is a putrid folly of basic human stupidity with which I find myself constantly disgusted with. The smug, arrogant, and pompous absurdity and "Neener-neener boo-boo, I'm going to heaven and not you" mentality is a symbolic reference of the sick mentalities of those who demand to be right. There is nothing gracious about this sort of demented mentality or belief. I'm convinced that those who worship such a bastard God are merely showing their extreme narcissism behind their faith. I'd rather spit on such a God than worship a being that would choose to convict me of thought crime, punish me for not groveling at his numinous feet, or kissing his ass with everything that I do. If heaven is the domain of such a tyrant, it's better off being empty and I'd prefer to be in hell. This particular strain of Christianity is a bane to human existence and deserves absolutely no respect.
So Troop . . . tell me . . . how do you really feel, buddy???

Old 09-18-2010, 10:21 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,653,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I knooooooow! They should use your posting style/tone/demeanor/vibe here as an example of how to be "gracious".

Good job there, GCS!!

I don't believe in "Hell"...not even in the slightest...but I submit--a part of me kinda wishes there really was a "Judgment Day/Heaven/Hell" deal...just to watch those who posture and blow about they'd, "spit on God...and prefer to be in Hell"...when they actually had to make the decision FOR REAL.

My prediction--You'd be kneeling and puckered up..."groveling at his numinous feet and kissing his ass"...with the best of them!

Old 09-18-2010, 10:26 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,362,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest I am View Post
Is it fair to arbitrarily increase punishment to your child?

If you were to tell your child that if he or she did a certain sin or mistake, you would implement a certain punishment, and when that infraction took place, you added a number of extra punishment, would you think you were acting in a fair and just manner?
A scenario would go like this.
If you told your son, if you do not make your bed, I will ground you for 2 days.
That same day, he did not or refused to make his bed.
You confront him and say that he is grounded for 2 days. At the same time, you tell him that he is also grounded for a further week and also looses all T V privileges and must also do the dishes for a month.

Do you think you have dealt fairly with your child?

Regards
DL
Absolutly not! This action has taught the child that as long as you are the boss you can treat people like crap!
Following through goes both ways, do what you say you will do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality