Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 02:40 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,683,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigetmax24 View Post
Sure. Well, let's start with the classical arguments for God's existence. Do you need me to provide the link for you?

Back to you.

Why should we believe in the existence of Santa?
Classic arguments for God are weak at best, and always go back to the bible, again weak. Much more evidence of Santa.

We can track Santa:
Official NORAD Santa Tracker

There are encounters with Santa:
Santa Sightings (http://mymerrychristmas.com/2006/sightings.php - broken link)

The Real "Santa", you can see his tomb.
Saint Nicholas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 03:11 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,213,177 times
That was a hysterically funny depiction of Santa's grave!

Old 09-21-2010, 06:39 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,722,425 times
Quote:
Sure. Well, let's start with the classical arguments for God's existence. Do you need me to provide the link for you?
They're all wrong. Do you need me to provide the link for you?

Back to you.

Quote:
  1. There exists gift giving in the world.
  2. Gifts given were initially given by something else.
  3. If every gift given were given by something else, there would be an infinite chain of givers. This can't happen.
  4. Thus, there must have been something that caused the first gift giving.
  5. From 3, this first gift giver cannot itself have been given gifts.
  6. From 4, there must be an ungifted gift giver

QED, Santa, via Aristotle.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:43 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,586,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Classic arguments for God are weak at best, and always go back to the bible, again weak.
Considering there are plenty of deists, philosophical theists, Muslims, and Hindus in the world this would seem to be incorrect.

Plus among us Catholics arguments for God do not always reference the Bible. Still I do remember the thinking of many atheists here

Belief in God=Christian
Christian=Protestant
Protestant=Sola Scriptura with Bible literalism

Therefore

Belief in God=Sola Scriptura with Bible literalism

In the real world I live in this equation makes no sense at all.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:50 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,703,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
Thanks to Sizzly Friddle since they came up with the idea.

If atheism is required to provide empirical proof in order to support it, then it follows that every ridiculous claim that someone doesn't believe in, requires proof to support their disbelief to be considered logical. So what evidence does anyone have that proves the claim that Santa doesn't exist.
I can neither confirm nor deny the existence of Santa Claus. However, there is no reward or punishment for my belief or disbelief. In the end, I have no opinion whatsoever on Santa's existence. I have no proof for either belief or disbelief.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:54 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,683,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Considering there are plenty of deists, philosophical theists, Muslims, and Hindus in the world this would seem to be incorrect.

Plus among us Catholics arguments for God do not always reference the Bible. Still I do remember the thinking of many atheists here

Belief in God=Christian
Christian=Protestant

Therefore

Muslims, point to the Torah, their "bible". the Hindu religion it does not worship any one god; it does not subscribe to any one dogma; it does not believe in any one philosophic concept; it does not follow any one set of religious rites or performances. It may be described as a way of life and nothing more. So exactly what do Catholics use to argue for god? I sure do hope it has nothing to do with the universe or nature, since again, nothing to do with god.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:14 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,880,042 times
Quote:

Because the Easter Bunny told me he is real!!!

Old 09-21-2010, 08:21 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,694,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Considering that most of the posters here reside in the USA, it is statistically likely that when one of them references "God" they mean the christian version of the concept. So it's a valid assumption which most of the time is correct.

Quote:
Plus among us Catholics arguments for God do not always reference the Bible.
And that makes those arguments any more or less accurate how?

Quote:
Still I do remember the thinking of many atheists here

Belief in God=Christian
In the USA, that goes with the odds, so it's not a careless assumption to make.

Quote:
Christian=Protestant
I don't know of anyone that assumes all christians are protestants. Catholics and Mormons are christians, and they're not protestant, and both of those churches are pretty damned big.

Quote:
What gave you that idea? I think nearly all of the atheists here know darn well that not all you christ-believers are thumpers.

Quote:
Therefore

You don't live in the real world...but that's beside the point.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:40 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,586,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Considering that most of the posters here reside in the USA, it is statistically likely that when one of them references "God" they mean the christian version of the concept. So it's a valid assumption which most of the time is correct.
When you're making a blanket statement about "God" it's still a presumptuous statement. Besides which a good amount, I think a majority even, of the religiously unafilliated in the US believe in some form of god and they would probably say "God" in describing it.

Quote:
And that makes those arguments any more or less accurate how?
Irrelevant. I was arguing against his narrow assumption about what God-belief entails in this country or life in general. I wasn't arguing about accuracy. Although I think there are more intellectually challenging views on God than the most simplistic understanding of Biblical ones.

Quote:
In the USA, that goes with the odds, so it's not a careless assumption to make.
It's still a blanket assumption that does not even fit many of our posters.

Quote:
I don't know of anyone that assumes all christians are protestants. Catholics and Mormons are christians, and they're not protestant, and both of those churches are pretty damned big.
Maybe they don't think they're doing it, but some certainly are doing it. Any poster who is only arguing about a literalistic view of the Bible, or arguing against a Universe that was created less than 10,000 years ago, is only arguing with certain forms of Protestantism. Pope Pius XII said the Universe is billions of years old. Orthodoxy I believe feels likewise. Mormons, I think, believe God created the Earth from pre-existing matter in the Universe.

Quote:
What gave you that idea? I think nearly all of the atheists here know darn well that not all you christ-believers are thumpers.
Yes they know it, but they'd rather pretend otherwise. A great many here basically assume a Christian is a "thumper", as you put it, unless proved otherwise. I've been on the receiving end of this so I know.

Quote:
You don't live in the real world...but that's beside the point.
Of course I live in the real world. Even if my view of the real world is distorted or false I still live there. However I trust my view of reality way more than pretty much any atheist here, including you. (Sorry a smiley doesn't quite mollify a base insult)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality