Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 08:04 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,716,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingSpires View Post
Yeah, it's not only a problem in the public schools, it is also a real problem in civil society, such as the Boy Scouts:
You mean the same Boy Scouts which requires religious belief of all its members and leaders?

Old 09-17-2010, 08:04 AM

1,468 posts, read 2,120,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Yes, consider the source. Fox News for a report on the 'war on religion'. Very unreliable and it can't be taken seriously.
Actually, that report consists of a columnist who was written a book. She speaks for herself and presents her theories, which you are free to take or leave. Fox is known for a conservative bias just as the NYT is known for a liberal, anti-Israeli, and anti-Catholic bias. You have to filter anything you see from either site rather carefully.

Of course, most militant leftists hate anyone who disagrees with them. This is why I retired from "left wing politics" and became an independent. But that's for a different forum now, isn't it.

A site like nobeliefs, by contrast, takes information out of context and twists the facts in order to serve a bigoted anti-religious agenda. It's akin to a skinhead site.

Like I said, consider the source.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:05 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,504,185 times
Before I leave for work, I will conced this much - the Catholic church is more pro-science than any other Christian religion I can think of. When I think of the Catholics, I always say, "well, at least their not Baptist."

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
You mean the same Boy Scouts which requires religious belief of all its members and leaders?
The Boy scouts are not a "church." They are part of civil society.

9,986 posts, read 18,670,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingSpires View Post
Well, Nea1, you can claim anything you want about the Catholic Church. That doesn't make it true.

What is true (as I stated previously) is that some members of the Catholic Church collaborated with the Nazis. The extent to which this happened is a matter of dispute amongst historians and will likely remain so. The fact of the matter is, some Protestants and Jews also collaborated. And many Muslims did far more than "collaborate."

I suppose I should ask you to stop your ridiculous statements such as the "Catholic Church supported" Nazism, but at the end of the day, you have freedom of speech to say and think whatever you want.

Here is Albert Einstein's view on the matter:

Being a lover of freedom, when the revolution came in Germany, I looked to the universities to defend it, knowing that they had always boasted of their devotion to the cause of truth; but, no, the universities immediately were silenced. Then I looked to the great editors of the newspapers whose flaming editorials in days gone by had proclaimed their love of freedom; but they, like the universities, were silenced in a few short weeks...

Only the Church stood squarely across the path of Hitler's campaign for suppressing truth. I never had any special interest in the Church before, but now I feel a great affection and admiration because the Church alone has had the courage and persistence to stand for intellectual truth and moral freedom. I am forced thus to confess that what I once despised I now praise unreservedly.

Pope Pius XII and the Holocaust
SOME MEMBERS!! Try the Vatican. And yes it is easy to distance yourself AFTER the fact. They helped put him there.

Just a snippet from the article

"With German Christians divided on Nazism, the Vatican intervened, committing every one of its thousands of German clerics to honor the Nazi dictatorship and hunt for actions that might harm it"

http://emperors-clothes.com/vatican/cpix.htm

Old 09-17-2010, 08:06 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,996,363 times
Default I can walk you through this

This shows that the promotion of condoms promotes promiscuous behavior which leads to more disease transmission. The only answer to wining this war is to teach abstinence. A population that is comfortable with promiscuious sex will never rid themselves of AIDS unless AIDS exterminates the entire population.

This particular article showed that the introduction of free condoms in the Philippines led to 50% rise in HIV infractions as people began to askew the safety to abstinence for promiscuous behavior. Which supports my first point that the use of science as a substitute for abstinence only lead to more disease and was an abject failure. Once again the war with the sound reasoning of the Church leads to more death and suffering.

Quote:
Thailand and the Philippines started seeing AIDS cases in the same year: 1984. That year, Thailand launched its “100% Condom Use Program” that saw condom vending machines in legal brothels, supermarkets, bars and most public places. The Philippines, however, resisted the imposition of condoms the following year and turned to promotion of abstinence.

In 1999 the UNAIDS reported 755,000 total confirmed cases of HIV infection in Thailand with 65,000 dead of the disease. That same year, in the Philippines, the total number of HIV cases was only 1,005. The disease had killed only 225 people.

As of August 2003 there were 899,000 HIV/AIDS cases documented in Thailand and approximately 125,000 deaths attributed to the disease. In the Philippines, as of September 30, 2003, there were 1,946 AIDS cases resulting in 260 deaths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
What does that have to do with Mercury Cougars post?

Old 09-17-2010, 08:07 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,683,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
...and hates those dirty gays...

Old 09-17-2010, 08:08 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,996,363 times
Default public school education

It is "well at least they're not Baptist" Spelling yet another casualty in the war on religion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Before I leave for work, I will conced this much - the Catholic church is more pro-science than any other Christian religion I can think of. When I think of the Catholics, I always say, "well, at least their not Baptist."

Old 09-17-2010, 08:10 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,716,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
It is moral truth that gives Catholics such a stranglehold over reason.
Actually it was political power that gave them a stranglehold over reason. Luckily the middle ages ended. Unfortunately for the rest of us, some people are still stuck there - or at least wish we could get back to the good old days of the Inquisition.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
SOME MEMBERS!! Try the Vatican. And yes it is easy to distance yourself AFTER the fact. They helped put him there.

Just a snippet from the article

"With German Christians divided on Nazism, the Vatican intervened, committing every one of its thousands of German clerics to honor the Nazi dictatorship and hunt for actions that might harm it"

Pictures illustrate Nazi link to Catholic church and Vatican
Nea,

I am not going to spend time addressing random quotes you pick from wherever about what you think happened in World War II.

It's a vast subject, and given that I have had the privilege of knowing independent scholars who have devoted their lives to this very subject and who have educated me about it, I'm confident that you are quite wrong and are simply trying to push an anti-religious agenda.

As I have stated many times, Nazism was a neo-pagan, occult movement that sought to destroy monotheism. This includes Judaism and Christianity. Some members of the Catholic Church collaborated, and the extent to which they did is a matter of scholarly dispute. As Thomas has stated, this is not going to be solved by a handful of hacks posting at City-Data.

Unfortunately, there is a great deal of disinformation on the internet about this subject which is ripe for the pickings of those who hate the Catholic Church and wish to discredit it and see it destroyed. If I had a dollar for every time I have read "Hitler was a Catholic" at City-Data I could retire to Tuscany.

Have a great day and enjoy the gaping holes in your historical education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality