Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 11:42 AM

397 posts, read 1,026,014 times

Advertisements

After a brief discussion of this topic with christians on the christianity board, I thought I would open up the question to a wider audience.

For those who are christians, how do you justify and explain the concept of predestination? As an atheist, I have always been fascinated by christians who hold this belief (I know that not all do). Specifically, I am referring here NOT to the belief that god knows what is going to happen (i.e. humans technically have free will but god just knows ahead what they are going to do/choose), but to the belief that god has predestined people's lives, i.e. some are chosen and others are not.

If people are chosen ahead of time as god's favorites, i.e. those who will
do "great" things and ultimately be saved, and those who will turn away from god and be lost, what is the point of prayer, mission work etc. If god has the whole game already intricately planned, what is the point?

Explain away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 11:51 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,659,782 times
Have you ever noticed that those who claim to be chosen by predestination are the first ones to believe that and then spend the rest of their lives trying to convince others?.. interesting is it not.

Old 11-30-2008, 11:57 AM

397 posts, read 1,026,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Have you ever noticed that those who claim to be chosen by predestination are the first ones to believe that and then spend the rest of their lives trying to convince others?.. interesting is it not.
Yes, it is, and I have yet to get a good explanation of it. The reasoning I have seen has all been in the line of "mysterious ways" or that it's god's free gift and after all, we're not entitled to anything.

So far, very unsatisfying.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:43 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,659,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen_SDCA View Post
Yes, it is, and I have yet to get a good explanation of it. The reasoning I have seen has all been in the line of "mysterious ways" or that it's god's free gift and after all, we're not entitled to anything.

And that is exactly why I do not believe in predestination, in a religious sense, we as individuals are capable of determining our own destination it's just a matter of choices, the choices that we make throughout life is what determines our destiny, whether they be good choices or bad choices, ultimately the choice is ours to make.

Last edited by ptsum; 09-10-2009 at 08:18 AM..

Old 03-14-2009, 05:30 AM

1 posts, read 3,075 times
Pre-destined meaning, god has laid the path for us to follow before the foundation of the earth. Seeing god knows all before it happens , he knows who will believe and who will not. This- being our choice of free will, our lord doesnt pick some and not others, altho he sometime makes changes in some example with when saul was persecuting the christians, also hardens the hearts of some for his own glory. His desire is all to be saved, you were put on this earth to have a relationship with him , but because we are born into sin, our lord jesus who never sinned, took all the sins of the world away so we may have everlasting life. Christ died for ALL so that we may live , one must be invited as a believer of christ you will know when it happens!

Old 03-14-2009, 08:49 AM

998 posts, read 1,332,616 times
In Islam, God ultimately knows each person's fate but that does not mean that free will doesn't exist. The person doesn't know and he is given the choice of choosing the path to take. I think except for the prophets and messengers chosen by him, God doesn't play favorites.

Predestination is very subjective. A person who had lived in sin for almost all his life and then suddenly makes a 360-turn towards good just before he dies - is that predestination or his own will overcoming his weakness and turning towards good. Same goes for the hero turned villain...

Of course, the major difference btwn Islam & Christianity is that muslims believe no one is born into sin. A newborn is like a white cloth which will be coloured by the parents beliefs, prejudices etc.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:04 AM

307 posts, read 1,181,599 times
There is no free will with predestination. If you were created not to believe then that's not really free will is it?

However I am willing to entertain that perhaps my understanding of the terms are flawed.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:21 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,864,701 times
Well, to the best of my understanding, you are talking about the presbyterians here, this pre-destined thing is only that there is a path, you may follow it if you wish, but it is not like it is carved in stone.

Old 03-14-2009, 02:00 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,521,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen_SDCA View Post

yeah, i see the poker faces all around saying just that.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:27 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,959,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
There is no free will with predestination. If you were created not to believe then that's not really free will is it?

However I am willing to entertain that perhaps my understanding of the terms are flawed.
I think Arcane is right. Calvinistic predestination logically excludes free will. Are there people who still believe in predestination? Really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality