Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 05:32 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,210,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
........evil or narcissistic or sadistic?

Do you suppose that saying things like this somehow demonstrates that God does not exist? Or that you will cause theists to say "You're right, I now chose to no longer believe"?

I am really curious what's with the "God is evil" campaign that seems to be part of the atheist's three point mantra, so to speak.

Please consider that disagreeable behaior does not disprove God. It only means you find God's behavior, well.........disagreeable. But if you want to hate God that is your choice/

I am just letting you guys and gals know that you're wasting your time on theists with this sort of stuff. I just shake my head.
I really do think you're missing the point....some of us are not saying that SOMETHING/THE SOURCE OF ALL THERE IS a.k.a. God doesn't exist....what we are really saying is the BIBLE GOD doesn't exist...and attempt to show you why. We attempt to show you the myriad of blatant inconsistencies and contradictions within your own book....much of which is glossed over or ignored by the theist.

See...I still believe that there is A SOURCE OF ALL THERE IS....and I also know that NONE OF US has a clue as to what that is. I definitely KNOW WITHOUT ANY DOUBT WHATSOEVER...that was is represented in the bible IS NOT IT.

Food for thought: If the bible god says to worship me or be tortured for eternity....how its this not narcissistic, sadistic or evil????

Last edited by ChristyGrl; 10-01-2010 at 06:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 06:41 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,681,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
I really do think you're missing the point....some of us are not saying that SOMETHING/THE SOURCE OF ALL THERE IS a.k.a. God doesn't exist....what we are really saying is the BIBLE GOD doesn't exist...and attempt to show you why. We attempt to show you the myriad of blatant inconsistencies and contradictions within your own book....much of which is glossed over or ignored by the theist.

See...I still believe that there is A SOURCE OF ALL THERE IS....and I also know that NONE OF US has a clue as to what that is. I definitely KNOW WITHOUT ANY DOUBT WHATSOEVER...that was is represented in the bible IS NOT IT.

Food for thought: If the bible god says to worship me or be tortured for eternity....how its this not narcissistic, sadistic or evil????

Brick wall, Christy. He doesn't understand logical hypothetical arguments if they go against his beliefs. Hypothetically speaking, IF that god in the bible/koran/torah existed, THEN by definition it would be an evil god, BECAUSE of what it did/does.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:54 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,542,599 times
OK, so what you all are saying is either God does not exist or the the Bible is wrong about God.

If the Bible is wrong then from where do you get your information about God? (sincere question)

Old 10-01-2010, 10:19 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,681,164 times
Quote:
OK, so what you all are saying is either God does not exist or the the Bible is wrong about God.

If the Bible is wrong then from where do you get your information about God? (sincere question)
What I'm saying is that a) I don't believe any gods exist; and b) if the biblical god did exist, it's you christians that are misrepresenting him as something other than what your bible clearly claims him to be. The baby-smashing, rape-encouraging, incest-allowing, xenocide-loving, bloodthirsty god in the bible does not coincide with the one you claim to worship.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:26 AM

465 posts, read 528,640 times
Quote:
Unlike some people on this board I have other things going on. In other words a life.
2005 called, and it wants its joke back.
Quote:

If you are serious about asking questions and learning, to answer this question for myself, I of course got the idea from my mom and from my church, who got it from the bible.

But a funny thing happened when I went to college and to South Korea, I found out that not everyone believed in the christian god, and they had there own ideas of god.

I think that's the problem when it comes to arguing about whether god exists or not.

WHICH VERSION? What are you defining as god? There are thousands. Are we talking about the Deist version (which I have been looking into lately)?

Islam? Hinduism? Christianity? Mormomism? Pantheism?

If your argument is saying somehow that because we get our idea of god from the christian version, that it exists, then are you prepared to be fair and apply that argument to all other versions of god which people believe in?

I also think a lot of the problem comes from not being able to at least try to think of yourself in someone else's shoes or put yourself as an outsider to your own faith.

For some reason, many people of many faiths can't fathom how someone can't believe in their faith, yet those very same people they talk about or look down on, are saying the very same thing about their faith. Pretty ironic really.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:37 AM

871 posts, read 3,018,133 times
I'll just speak for myself.....the bible was written by men who eons ago were preying on the fear and ignorance of simple people. Kind of like what the media is doing to us today. It was a way to keep people compliant, in line, fearful and subservient (to man). Evil, vile popes, rulers and conquerers and so on are great examples of this.

Many, many moons ago, people saw scary lightning and horrific, booming thunder and did not know anything about causes of weather patterns. They thought it was an angry "god". Or more.

People died by the millions of pestilence (via infectious germs) and no one then knew about germs. Must be, we're pi$$ing off god, so we better do something quick, like burn a witch or kill a child!

This is all well-understood by those who read and inform themselves by means other that the mythical bible stuff. Atheism is not the non-belief of god, it is the lack of belief. You can't argue with an atheist. Suffice it to say that they do not have faith. Faith is a replacement of or a supplement to reason. People who are rational and reason things through will not agree with the premise that the bible is the word of god. There is no evidence.

Science will bend and change and modify due to the presentation of facts and evidence. Religious zealots will not. The bible is completely true because it says so.

I am just about to turn 51 and I have no idea why I went though so many years of abusive, immoral, crock 'o doody teachings as a kid and as an adult. It's the result of my parents and forefathers being deluded forever, it seems. To me, the whole thing is preposterous. I am as moral as I need to be and comfortable in my own skin. I leave folks to believe what they want, but find it perplexing and sad that so much killing and torment is conducted now and through history by virtue of a "failure to communicate".

I have voraciously read books by Dawkins (meeting him Sunday, in fact at Duke University), Hitchens, Stenger, Smith, et al, and quite recently, and can truly appreciate the reason and logic employed by all of them in their writings which point out massive volumes of flaws and nonsense in the biblical realm. I read and process information written by my contemporaries which is clearly at odds with what was (allegedly) written by goat herders in the mysterious, distant and uninformed past.

I myself don't get my information about god. No one has a pipeline and no one will likely ever know the answer. That's called agnosticism. At least you admit you don't know. Anyone who then latches on to faith and the supernatural is just hedging their bets to cover their behind in the deluded notion that they will enjoy a kingdom of heaven. It's nice to think you're going to have it made in the shade, forgetting about this life, of course, but banking on the glorious existence after you're actually dead. And all that because you served the master and stepped on untold human toes during the ride.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:48 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,002,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eloyfan View Post
I'll just speak for myself.....the bible was written by men who eons ago were preying on the fear and ignorance of simple people. Kind of like what the media is doing to us today. It was a way to keep people compliant, in line, fearful and subservient (to man). Evil, vile popes, rulers and conquerers and so on are great examples of this.

Many, many moons ago, people saw scary lightning and horrific, booming thunder and did not know anything about causes of weather patterns. They thought it was an angry "god". Or more.

People died by the millions of pestilence (via infectious germs) and no one then knew about germs. Must be, we're pi$$ing off god, so we better do something quick, like burn a witch or kill a child!

This is all well-understood by those who read and inform themselves by means other that the mythical bible stuff. Atheism is not the non-belief of god, it is the lack of belief. You can't argue with an atheist. Suffice it to say that they do not have faith. Faith is a replacement of or a supplement to reason. People who are rational and reason things through will not agree with the premise that the bible is the word of god. There is no evidence.

Science will bend and change and modify due to the presentation of facts and evidence. Religious zealots will not. The bible is completely true because it says so.

I am just about to turn 51 and I have no idea why I went though so many years of abusive, immoral, crock 'o doody teachings as a kid and as an adult. It's the result of my parents and forefathers being deluded forever, it seems. To me, the whole thing is preposterous. I am as moral as I need to be and comfortable in my own skin. I leave folks to believe what they want, but find it perplexing and sad that so much killing and torment is conducted now and through history by virtue of a "failure to communicate".

I have voraciously read books by Dawkins (meeting him Sunday, in fact at Duke University), Hitchens, Stenger, Smith, et al, and quite recently, and can truly appreciate the reason and logic employed by all of them in their writings which point out massive volumes of flaws and nonsense in the biblical realm. I read and process information written by my contemporaries which is clearly at odds with what was (allegedly) written by goat herders in the mysterious, distant and uninformed past.

I myself don't get my information about god. No one has a pipeline and no one will likely ever know the answer. That's called agnosticism. At least you admit you don't know. Anyone who then latches on to faith and the supernatural is just hedging their bets to cover their behind in the deluded notion that they will enjoy a kingdom of heaven. It's nice to think you're going to have it made in the shade, forgetting about this life, of course, but banking on the glorious existence after you're actually dead. And all that because you served the master and stepped on untold human toes during the ride.
I really, REALLY love this post!

Old 10-01-2010, 10:52 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,668,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eloyfan View Post

Great post!!!! Agree 100%

Old 10-01-2010, 11:04 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,189,754 times
worthy of a rep point eloyfan

Old 10-01-2010, 11:17 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,763,786 times
Quote:
Maybe god is just a concept made to sound real. The bible is not an accurate description of an all loving, caring, forgiving god. It contradicts itself and is the opinions/concept of those who wrote scriptures in it not proof that particular god exists as a real being/spirit.

Quote:
That's like asking if the book of the easter bunny is wrong then from where do people get information about the easter bunny LOL. If you say the easter bunny skips down the bunny trail and the book of the easter bunny says he hops down the bunny trail then another part says he jumps down the bunny trail then your definition of what's written is incorrect and the book is incorrect because it contradicts itself.

Edit: Nea1 wow good post I just read it after already posting this one.

Last edited by Lolipopbubbles; 10-01-2010 at 11:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality