Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 06:50 PM

16,223 posts, read 25,748,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, I've heard it referred to as the caul, also.

If you get those numbers, send me a DM! NJ or NY are both fine.
OK..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 08:34 PM

9,929 posts, read 13,970,634 times
Back on topic...

I thought a caul meant the child was destined to be a vampire.

Old 10-18-2011, 03:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,595 times
I have constantly been told that my dead father was born with a veil over his face. He was lucky until he attemped wish the worse for someone that had did him good. But, he and his family has had the gift of prophecy, visions, dreams, my mother and her family, some of them are very good with these gifts of sight dreams visions, interpretation, prayers, healing, contact from the dead and many other supernatural abilities. I have used my abilities for years within my community. Now I share it with the world

Old 10-18-2011, 03:56 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,405,673 times
I am sorry but... let me get this straight.... because a perfectly natural although rare event occurs during a birth.... people therefore think they have a variety of super human abilities denied the vast majority of common mankind?

Bit of a leap no?

Old 10-18-2011, 08:20 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,065,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
I am sorry but... let me get this straight.... because a perfectly natural although rare event occurs during a birth.... people therefore think they have a variety of super human abilities denied the vast majority of common mankind?

Bit of a leap no?
Nonbeliever nonbeliever hissssssss......
Someone somewhere is concentrating really hard, right now, on remotely exploding your head! Hisssssssss....

Not me - I totally agree with you.
The idea is interesting, though, if you like folk tales and such. Like when my sister was born with red hair and left-handed on a 2nd moon Tuesday - it was too much for my parents: they just took her and heaved her into the ocean.

They say that on 2nd moon Tuesdays, you can hear the wailing of the mournful red-headed, left-flippered mermaid man-eater who takes the hearts and souls of all cultural anthropologists on weekend fishing trips - which is odd, because that wouldn't coincide with a 2nd moon Tuesday.....

Old 10-18-2011, 08:27 AM

11,765 posts, read 14,730,581 times
It's pretty straightforward, really. What you're describing is a superstition.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:29 PM

64,141 posts, read 40,469,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Being born with a veil over your face meant you could fortell the future. The "veil" was the amniotic sac.

In February of 1934, my grandmother went into labor with her third child. There was a snowstorm, and the doctor was delayed getting there, but a nurse was at the house when my aunt was born. The amniotic sac was over her face, and the nurse was superstitious and would not touch the baby and remove the membrane until the doctor got there. Due to the oxygen deprivation, my aunt had cerebral palsy and the mental capacity of a five-year-old.

I don't think much of that particular superstition, as you might imagine.
It was a ubiquitous superstition, one I was an unwilling participant in. I was born with a veil on a Friday the 13th in the middle of a thunderstorm in the month of October. My parents were so-called "true" Geminis born on the same day in the same year within minutes of each other only 10 miles away. My superstitious mother and her cronies performed some sort of ritual over me for whatever they believed about it. Given the story above, it seems I was lucky they thought they knew what to do about it. I was treated as special from day one. I thought it was a bunch of crapola as soon as I was able to read and reason for myself. It was one of the reasons I was an atheist at such an early age. There is nothing to it and Mighty Qeen's story reveals the danger from such unreasoning credulity in superstitions.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:45 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,210,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
I have a patient, who is in her 80`s. She claims that she God talks to her, before something terrible happens to her.
She just told me the story about the meals on wheels lady coming in to bring her meals....she told her to lay it on her table.
She went on to the bathroom, and she said someone told her, to go into the living room!!!! She said that she did, and the meals on wheels lady, was standing there with her purse under her arm!!!
She said she ask her what she was doing with her pocket book, and the lady was kindly froze, as in shock, and finally said,' This man came in and tried to take her purse, and she grabbed it from him.
Not sure I believe that one.....the guy would have knocked her over and took the purse if he wanted it...
She has told me other stories, if you are interested..
That person she claims was god talking to her was most likely her own self.......I'm not sure if people know this, but we have dialogue in our heads. Geez........

Old 12-29-2012, 12:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,391 times
I am 33 years old and was born with a caul. It was attached to my forehead down to my chest. The OB took photos of me before removing it as it is a rare medical occurance. I can honestly say that I do not have the ability to see spirits or the future. I do have great womens intuition which has came in handy so many times. My grandmother is still confensed that I was meant to be a nun and says that I was born for greatness. I admire my grandmother and love her ideas of me but I am married with three beautiful children so I guess the career to become a nun is not going to happen lol.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:04 PM

1,458 posts, read 2,670,719 times
Have none of you read Great Expectations?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality