Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2007, 02:07 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,368,313 times

Advertisements

Hello, I posted a few days ago, a post called A man named Joe. I am wondering if I had headlined it like this post if anyone would have read it. Hoosier read it, thank you Hoos, and Weather...

But it was a sincere post, and I went back to it several times, and added to it. I am having some tough times, and do need your thoughts and prayers. I also put something on the prayer list.

I know I am not known on this board, I have only been here a couple of times. My header wasn't racy enough, it seems... I didn't talk about the devil or pagan. I didn't mention rape or incest. I didn't talk about going to hell or Mormons, but I do feel I was skipped over....

I was a bit disappointed. It really is a tough time for me, and I needed some encouragement. I will continte to take my walk with the Lord every morning. Sometimes longer than others. I feel alone in the world at times.

There are people at work who I know are praying for me, whichever the outcome may be. I thought for sure the City-data crowd would embrace me

//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...named-joe.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2007, 02:18 AM

267 posts, read 533,724 times
I read, but I'm not the best at replying to such things so I didn't reply. I think you should seek real comfort rather than online comfort, and I speak from experience that it's much more fulfilling to get an actual hug rather than an electronic one...I hope you feel better, simply because I don't like seeing people upset, but I'm merely a faceless online persona not a 'real' person.

Old 07-07-2007, 04:56 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,388,682 times
<<<<<< Hugs, Cinderobyn >>>>>>

I never saw the follow-up to your original post about Joe. When I saw your prayer request, I didn't look at the Joe post again, because I had already seen it. I'm sorry I missed so much of your message. The religion forum posters, I'm sure, aren't ignoring you because you're new to the forum or your thread didn't have a sexy title. I think much of the problem is timing; there's not been as much activity because of the holiday, vacations, etc. We have some awesome prayer warriors here, so now they know there is more to the original Joe post, I'm confident others will be lifting you up.

As for advice, I'm not sure where to begin or even what to say. I don't want you to think that I'm being judgmental in any way, but I'll try to give sound, Biblical advice.

Since I don't know you very well or your beliefs, I would first of all ask you to determine your position in Christ. The thread entitled, "What is a Christian?" is a good starting point to understand the Christian faith. (I'm pointing you in this direction because you have talked about Jesus and prayer.) This might sound harsh, but the Bible doesn't say all prayers will be answered. It says, the effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much. If your relationship with God isn't where it needs to be (I'm not saying you have to be perfect or nearly so...just be honestly seeking Him), you might not receive the answers you're seeking. This might be a good reality check for your husband, too.

If you're sincerely seeking God's will in your life, then I recommend praying---LOTS! Pester God with your prayers; pray while driving to work, cooking dinner, taking a shower--anytime you think about it. Also, be completely honest with Him. Let Him know exactly how you are feeling, and let Him know exactly what you desire. (He already knows this, anyway, so there's no need to feel uncomfortable telling Him what you think.) Have a nice long talk with Him and tell Him everything. I've heard that we often don't get answers to our prayers because we don't ask for anything; that is, we're too general when praying. So be specific about what you want to see. Then pray, pray, and pray some more. Definitely let God know how you want your husband to change. However, don't forget yourself. Do you need to change? Ask God to give you renewed love for your husband. Ask Him to take away the hurt you feel. Ask Him for understanding and wisdom. Ask Him to show you specific things you can do to be a loving and supportive wife. Ask for a healing in your relationship. Ask Him to show you the good and help you to put the negative in perspective. (The reason I'm emphasizing you rather than your husband is because you're the one doing the praying; your husband's prayers can be similar but relating to him. I believe our prayers are more effective when we acknowledge that we might need to change, too.) Don't give up. If you are sincere, your prayers will be answered. They may not be answered overnight, but they will be answered.

If you're not already doing so, start reading your Bible. Many answers will be found there, as well as comfort, understanding, and wisdom. You might be reminded of things you can pray about, and you might find words to pray. (Praying Scripture is powerful!) Psalms and Proverbs are good places to start for someone who is hurting and needs comfort and guidance. The book of John is a great place to understand more about Jesus. I like the book of James when it comes to practical relationship advice.

Counseling might be an excellent idea, not just for your husband but for the entire family. I would encourage you to seek Christian counseling but to be very selective. Some Christian counselors blame everything on the wife! Some secular counselors might be very New Agey. So choose a counselor that will give sound, Biblical advice; don't be afraid to ask him to reference the Bible so you know where to look up the information he's giving you.

Old 07-07-2007, 07:04 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,117,272 times
Great post blueberry!!! Your advice is excellent!! Cinderobyn, I am sure that most of us who read your post are praying for you too. So even though we may not have responded to the posts of others doesn't mean that we have simply walked away from it. Most christians like to work behind the scenes, so to speak and pray quietly for those in need.

Old 07-07-2007, 07:24 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,746,330 times
i cant speak for everone..just me, but I read the original post, and I agree with Urbanlemur, just because I didnt respond doesnt mean i forgot about it. Sometimes my advice is just well, mediocre at best on something thats as deep as ur post, so I just quietly pray about it, cause God aint mediocre, he knows how to handlt everything, even when we dont. My prayers are with u!

Old 07-07-2007, 09:07 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,514,650 times
Cynder, honey, rest assured that your post was read. I don't answer every post, because some of them just seem to need a more intelligent or inspiring answer than I feel I can give, and I always hope that one of the others will do it. I check on the prayer thread often during the day and have included you in prayer as the others have. You can also pm the Prayer Warriors if you desire not to post your needs Someone needs to post an updated list of the Prayer Warriors. But I am sure that anyone of us would be willing to help privately..

Old 07-07-2007, 09:23 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,368,313 times
Thank you all... I do read my Bible, I am a Christian, and those prayers are lifted up...

I am at peace, my life is changing, I am changing. Everything is changing. I am coming to terms with it all.

I am sitting here with my MIL... I dont think she knows about it, dont think dh has told her. My health, physically and mentally has improved so much. The Lord has laid his hand upon me.

Thank you for all your prayers and blessings, they are so much apreciated in my life.....

Robyn

Old 07-07-2007, 09:35 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,198,244 times
cinderobyn, I read your OP. I'm sure as others pointed out it was read many many times. Just because people don't respond does not mean they did not read it or are praying for you.

I've had an encounter with a real angel on two occasions, and one with a demon. So the spirit world is real that's for sure

Old 07-07-2007, 10:01 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,789,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virote View Post
I read, but I'm not the best at replying to such things so I didn't reply. I think you should seek real comfort rather than online comfort, and I speak from experience that it's much more fulfilling to get an actual hug rather than an electronic one...I hope you feel better, simply because I don't like seeing people upset, but I'm merely a faceless online persona not a 'real' person.
Robyn,

This is the first time that I actually saw THIS thread. As others have stated, the religious forum family seems to be on vacation at the moment. Things have quieted down quite a bit. I quoted virote's reply because I did not want you or anyone else reading this to think that this forum is not a place where you might find comfort from others. Speaking for myself, the prayer thread is a prominant part of my day. I begin and end with it every day. I have found comfort here that I would have never thought possisble and certainly cannot explain to someone else. Certainly it will not be that for everyone, but if you are comfortable coming here, know that you will have a great family in the prayer thread and the religion forum, in general.

Take care of yourself and God bless you.

Weather...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality