Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 05:50 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,011,841 times

Advertisements

Column: Science and religion aren't friends - USATODAY.com

Quote:
Does religion work? It brings some of us solace, impels some to do good (and others to fly planes into buildings), and buttresses the same moral truths embraced by atheists, but does it help us better understand our world or our universe? Hardly. Note that almost all religions make specific claims about the world involving matters such as the existence of miracles, answered prayers wonder-working saints and divine cures, virgin births, annunciations and resurrections. These factual claims, whose truth is a bedrock of belief, bring religion within the realm of scientific study. But rather than relying on reason and evidence to support them, faith relies on revelation, dogma and authority. Hebrews 11:1 states, with complete accuracy, "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen." Indeed, a doubting-Thomas demand for evidence is often considered rude.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:10 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,775,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Well, I'm astonished. Religion at basis is founded on Faith rather than Fact.

Quote:
And any progress — not just scientific progress — is easier when we're not yoked to religious dogma. Of course, using reason and evidence won't magically make us all agree, but how much clearer our spectacles would be without the fog of superstition!

Old 10-21-2010, 06:40 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,833,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Religion at basis is founded on Faith rather than Fact.
Which is why anyone with any brain cells ignore it.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:47 AM

271 posts, read 356,311 times
I agree, corrupted christianity & current human-made & gathered bible are against science.

But I ,like Jesus, my choice is to submit to God whose final revelation is devoid from any contradictions.

It's better to retitle thread as :

corrupted religions and science aren't friends !

Old 10-21-2010, 07:01 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,698,570 times
I would be surprised though, if ALL scientists were atheists, or even agnostics.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:12 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,737,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Which is why anyone with any brain cells ignore it.
I think this is over-stated. I love science and rational argumentation. I have basically no use for "religion" as such. But nevertheless I see an important role for faith, and I think it is important that science-lovers realize the unavoidable role of faith in their own lives.

Reason actually requires "faith" in the sense of non-rational or pre-rational "givens". At the very least you have to have "faith" in the process of reason, faith in your own ability to reason, etc. This is not the sort of stuff that people typically think of as "faith" but ultimately it is a sort of faith - it is a form of faith that some religious people don't have, and thus they get sucked in to the (as I see it) dangerously irrational realms of religion.

Existence itself is fundamentally mysterious, and I think that reason itself requires us to be "mystics" to some extent. I just think that putting some faith in science and the laws of logic is better than putting any faith in ancient manuscripts.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:35 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,775,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I would be surprised though, if ALL scientists were atheists, or even agnostics.
So would I, given the dominance of religious faith over the past 5,000 years.

Nevertheless, though science was for the last 200 - 300 years intended to glorify God's works, it had the unforseen effect of finding that it did not do that so much as finding that it worked perfectly well without.

Yes, many scientists can function perfectly well while also having religious Faith, though I have their mental processes badly compromised when they allow faith to enter into it.

I fully expect to see more and more scientists find less and less reason to have any kind of god - belief, let alone belief in any particular religion and its scriptures.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:37 AM

4,904 posts, read 6,020,672 times
Religion fears science because it leads its adherents away from the faith.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:16 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,048,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth light View Post
I agree, corrupted christianity & current human-made & gathered bible are against science.

But I ,like Jesus, my choice is to submit to God whose final revelation is devoid from any contradictions.

It's better to retitle thread as :

corrupted religions and science aren't friends !

You ought to add Islam to that too.....

Islam is not less corrupted, and it is as full of those who are over the top as Christianity as.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:31 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,841,666 times
Default Shocker: Religion and Science aren't friends.

Wait, I've seen the solution to this problem in a movie once!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHw3xadHorw

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality