Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 10:24 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times

Advertisements

Simple question. Nothing tricky here.

I've asked this to several people who claim to be open minded. Some say it isn't possible god doesn't exist, I know, kind of contradictory.

Some others, use weasel words like "For me, it isn't possible god doesn't exist."

Does "For me, it isn't possible god doesn't exist."

mean the same thing as

"It isn't possible god doesn't exist."?

What does "For me, ..." mean?

Does it mean:

god doesn't exist but I believe he does exist?

or

god doesn't exist but I want him to exist?

or

I think he does exist?

or

I am guessing he does exist?

or

Maybe he does exist?

or

It is possible he does exist?

or

It is not impossible he does exist?

or

It might not be impossible that he does exist?

or

I am not really sure but I've been trained to believe it is impossible he does not exist?

or

I'd feel really guilty if I told you it was possible he does not exist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 11:00 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

I've asked this to several people who claim to be open minded. Some say it isn't possible god doesn't exist, I know, kind of contradictory.
This question is identical to is it possible I don't exist. The answer to both is . . . No. It has nothing to do with open-mind . . . it is all about expereience. I experience Me and I experience God. I would have to deny both to agree that it is possible.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:10 AM

3,202 posts, read 4,433,628 times
Yes

Old 11-01-2010, 01:11 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,650,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

Some others, use weasel words like "For me, it isn't possible god doesn't exist."

Does "For me, it isn't possible god doesn't exist."

mean the same thing as

"It isn't possible god doesn't exist."?

What does "For me, ..." mean?

Does it mean:

god doesn't exist but I believe he does exist?

or

god doesn't exist but I want him to exist?

or

I think he does exist?

or

I am guessing he does exist?

or

Maybe he does exist?

or

It is possible he does exist?

or

It is not impossible he does exist?

or

It might not be impossible that he does exist?

or

I am not really sure but I've been trained to believe it is impossible he does not exist?

or

I'd feel really guilty if I told you it was possible he does not exist?
Since God is the Source and Essence of everything...and even before there was anything else, there was God---unless NOTHING exists (not even God), it isn't possible for God not to exist.

So...simple answer. Nothing tricky here---No, it isn't possible God doesn't exist.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:52 AM

2 posts, read 3,013 times
Every time I see a sunrise or a sunset, or someone tells me they love me ... or I look into my cats eyes or see how a cut on my finger heals, or I speak out loud ... " GOD HELP ME. " and I am answered , I KNOW there is a God. God has shown Himself to me in a way that is undeniable way ... He even for a time gave ME the "gift " to touch another human being, and in the Name of Jesus spoke that this person be healed, and they were healed ... It blew my mind ... but I learned to trust that God was someone who WAS real ... To me the most precious things in this life, such as love, forgiveness, passion ... cannot be touched in the solid form , but you know they are there ... As the song " I BELIEVE " goes ... " Every time I hear a new born baby cry ... or touch a leaf, or see a sky, then I know why ... I BELIEVE ." God has shown me WITHOUT DOUBT that HE EXISTS !!! and I can never ever deny that ... I always tell people ... " I guarantee that if YOU ask Him to show Himself to you in a way that is UNDENIABLE to YOU ... HE WILL ... in a way that is JUST right for YOU ... I don't know what else I can say ... I can write a BOOK alone on JUST the miracles HE has done in my life ... but I won't ... at least not now. ...

Old 11-01-2010, 02:27 AM

465 posts, read 463,743 times
It's a mystery, nobody knows.

Certainly something does exist that we humans would consider "God". But it might a force like gravity or fusion. A simple force like this might be what causes and ends all existance as we need it.

And then, there always might be a greater force beyond that, and beyond that......

Even if you think you've met God. What you really met with might just be a power low on the totem pole.

God is definitely not some being with a singular intelligence like a human being on this Earth. And God is definitely not some being who watches over us and cares about our good deeds and sins. That's an absolutely ridiculous view. But of course it's a view that billions of people subscribe to.

Old 11-01-2010, 03:40 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
Answering the question posted in the title, instead of all the following questions,

Yes, it is possible--but I've lost nothing by believing.

Old 11-01-2010, 04:02 AM

5,503 posts, read 5,569,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffykhansabi View Post
Every time I see a sunrise or a sunset, or someone tells me they love me ... or I look into my cats eyes or see how a cut on my finger heals, or I speak out loud ... " GOD HELP ME. " and I am answered , I KNOW there is a God. God has shown Himself to me in a way that is undeniable way ... He even for a time gave ME the "gift " to touch another human being, and in the Name of Jesus spoke that this person be healed, and they were healed ... It blew my mind ... but I learned to trust that God was someone who WAS real ... To me the most precious things in this life, such as love, forgiveness, passion ... cannot be touched in the solid form , but you know they are there ... As the song " I BELIEVE " goes ... " Every time I hear a new born baby cry ... or touch a leaf, or see a sky, then I know why ... I BELIEVE ." God has shown me WITHOUT DOUBT that HE EXISTS !!! and I can never ever deny that ... I always tell people ... " I guarantee that if YOU ask Him to show Himself to you in a way that is UNDENIABLE to YOU ... HE WILL ... in a way that is JUST right for YOU ... I don't know what else I can say ... I can write a BOOK alone on JUST the miracles HE has done in my life ... but I won't ... at least not now. ...
Psalm 40:7 Then said I, Lo, I come: in the volume of the book it is written of me.

He is felt and understood by those who truly believed we are wonderfully made out of love...

Old 11-01-2010, 05:01 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Thread hit an iceberg first trip.

Immediately we run into the semantic or conceptual problem of 'what is meant by God'. Mystic points out that, since it is impossible that I (if only as a entity of consciousness) exist it is impossible that 'god' doesn't exist.

All we need to do then is list the five thousand names (or meanings) of god.

Others simply filter the question though the mental screens of faith and morph it into 'Do I believe that God exists' answer yes because it says so in the Bible and that's good enough for me.

It was an experiment worth trying, and perhaps it was useful in pointing up the muddled and skewed thinking that bedevils the whole Theism debate.

Old 11-01-2010, 05:04 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,249,714 times
well if He does exist,then its immpossible that He dosent exist.

nothing comes from nothing,and since everything exists it has to come from somewhere!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality