Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 05:46 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,850,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I am a theist. Yes, it's possible that God doesn't exist.
The people rest your honor.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 09:43 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,341,723 times
It is NOT possible

Old 11-03-2010, 08:53 AM

28,115 posts, read 30,032,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
The people rest your honor.
LOL! You were just waiting to hear one theist admit that they could be wrong? And it took 30 posts for that to happen. I wonder how many posts it would take to find an atheist willing to admit that he could be wrong. I am as certain that God exists as most atheists are that He doesn't exist. I'm just willing to admit that I could be wrong, when most people -- theists and atheists alike -- are not.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:36 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,962,865 times
Of course it is possible that god does not exist, especially if one insists on defining god as the personal anthropomorphised god. If the definition of god is expanded to include all possibilities of what "god" could be (spiritual force/energy, pure spirit, the sum of everything, natural force that keeps everything together, whatever), then while it is still possible that the there is no god, I think that the possibility of "no god" becomes narrowed.

I know I've said it many times throughout the several threads here, but it bears constant repetition. There is, and from what I can see always will be, the difference between believing something and knowing something. So long as god, spirituality, religion, etc remain in the realm of belief rather than no-kidding knowledge, the possibility of god exiting or not existing will always remain in question. Though I personally believe there is a "something" that I express belief in through my tribal traditions, I certainly do not know that for an indisputable fact. Because of that, I would never attempt to get anyone to see things my way.

Last edited by Fullback32; 11-03-2010 at 10:42 AM..

Old 11-03-2010, 10:08 AM

430 posts, read 584,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This question is identical to is it possible I don't exist. The answer to both is . . . No. It has nothing to do with open-mind . . . it is all about expereience. I experience Me and I experience God. I would have to deny both to agree that it is possible.
You seem unwilling to agree that "experience" is at best a personal condition. If someone meditated for literally decades and concluded there was no plausible existence for a God, based on the meditator's intense personal interaction with the greater spirituality, and who had an IQ of, say, 150+ (i.e.: not an idiot...) who are you to denounce his or her decision?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
well if He does exist,then its immpossible that He dosent exist.

nothing comes from nothing,and since everything exists it has to come from somewhere!!!
This is a fine example of circular logic. The poster probably doesn't recognize it however. As well, as theists often do, it relies on a very selective interpretation of some of science's concepts, molded into absolutes by leaving out the original author's conservative precautions and limits.

The existence of "things" does not default to a unique, specific theistic entity. There's a near-limitless set of alternatives, however the believer simply ignores them in a flurry of "Oh my, it's SO awesome, so there must be a God! Oh, and BTW, it's MY particular god, not yours!".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Considering several atheists here have no problem saying God can't exist this is potentially going to lead to some hypocrisy on that side.

Be that as it may I've certainly considered the idea that God does not exist. On the whole I have mostly stopped considering that idea because it doesn't fit with my experience and I find it not very helpful. I could spend my time considering whether God or Justice or Truth or Reality exists, but it's not that useful a time. I'm mostly satisfied they do or at least I find the alternative not worth bothering about these days.
At least you're honest, Thomas. It works for you, in your world, to explain things to your satisfaction, and to heck with any conflicting conflicting details. That's quite OK by me, since I also have my own functioning, but far from faultless, spirituality. Others here come to the same functionally useful conclusion but then arbitrarily add in the determination that "therefore there IS, absolutely, a God. My God. No arguments allowed."

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
hawkings only suggests that something can come from nothing,but has he proven it,and this something that is meant to come from nothing is it as complex as a whole structured universe!!!!
Hawking also notes that the universe is too complex to have been plausibly physically constructed out of nothing, by any conceivable single entity. Even an army of them.

It's odd that theists state with utter confidence, that the complexity of observable life is such that it could not ever have arisen on it's own, by a chance process they personally also don't understand. And yet, when faced with the vast and complex nature of the universe, they simply hand-wave off the idea that it's far too complex for any single entity to have assembled in 6 days.

As well as that it was supposed to have been instantly created in it's final, complete form, and yet we see successful physical and biological evolution occurring before our very eyes. Today's astounding scientific tools allow such inescapable evidence, however most Christian apologists prefer to remain mired in the usually technically incorrect jingoist Christian web-site quotes as their sole means of defense.

There they stand, mired in the mud of their beliefs, a hood of blind beliefs covering their eyes and minds...

http://www.pc-softrain.com/audrey/images/MudPeople3.jpg

Quote:
I wonder how many posts it would take to find an atheist willing to admit that he could be wrong. I am as certain that God exists as most atheists are that He doesn't exist. I'm just willing to admit that I could be wrong, when most people -- theists and atheists alike -- are not.
Well here goes. Atheists (or alternate spiritualists such as myself) can and do accept all possibilities, unlike most dedicated theists. Most atheists are influenced by well-presented and documented evidence, while fundamentalist Christians simply ignore such stuff, while raising the volume of their threats, howls and bloviations.

The absolute determinism of Christians in defending their chosen religion as "The One True Version", with all it's faults and contradictions, is what sticks in the craw of the more thoughtful among us. Meantime, we remain open to what the more honestly curious among us might uncover.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:27 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,785,596 times
Quote:
LOL! You were just waiting to hear one theist admit that they could be wrong? And it took 30 posts for that to happen. I wonder how many posts it would take to find an atheist willing to admit that he could be wrong. I am as certain that God exists as most atheists are that He doesn't exist. I'm just willing to admit that I could be wrong, when most people -- theists and atheists alike -- are not.
I think that quite a few atheists - in fact the majority (and atheism itself by the sheer logic of it) have to admit that they could be wrong. God could exist. or A god could exist. Or many gods could exist, or aliens could exist. I think we probably lost the theists by now who have all begun saying their god must exist but none of the other do.

Yes, it's possible, but where is the evidence that would persuade us to believe in any one of the gods on offer or even a First cause god? It jus isn't enough to justify belief.

Until you and the other theists understand that, you will continue to misunderstand and misrepresent us.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:

How can atheists be wrong if they don't declare anything? A-theist - not theistic - doesn't believe in god. How can someone be wrong by not believing in god?

Now, if someone believes their is no god, then they could be wrong.

Also I wasn't just waiting for one person to post as you did. The thread is still open so there are more opportunities for people to creatively explain they are open minded (one side of the mouth) and make an absolute assertion that there is no doubt god exists (the other side of their mouth).

At least you are honest and realistic so I have less reason to not trust you.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
it is possible that god does not exist,

I personally believe there is a "something",
I certainly do not know that for an indisputable fact.
OK, I'll buy this. Who knows, maybe there is something out there.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibumi View Post

It works for you, in your world, to explain things to your satisfaction, and to heck with any conflicting conflicting details. That's quite OK by me, since I also have my own functioning, but far from faultless, spirituality.
Just because something is true "for me" doesn't it necessarily make it true.

So no, it isn't OK, regardless of your "functioning, but far from faultless, spirituality."

We need to filter out anybody's comment who qualifies truth with "for me".

Q: "Is it possible god doesn't exist?"
A: " For me, no."

There is [probably] only one truth and it is not subjective.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I think that quite a few atheists - in fact the majority (and atheism itself by the sheer logic of it) have to admit that they could be wrong. God could exist. or A god could exist. Or many gods could exist, or aliens could exist. I think we probably lost the theists by now who have all begun saying their god must exist but none of the other do.

Exactly; Atheists are smart enough to realize that anything is possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality