Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 02:33 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,254,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Until you DO come up with that credible explanation, all you have is theory. If that theory involves a God, big deal. It's not like anyone knows different.

As far as time, time is not particularly important. But I'm not a churchgoer, myself. Don't like being around other people, you see.
not tryin to intrude here in your personall life and you dont have to answer if you dont want to,but why dont you like being around other people????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 02:47 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,121,759 times
Default " Is it possible god doesn't exist?"

I do not believe in any gods.
If I were pressured to consider a god well then I would have to say, there is a slight chance of a bad god.
I believe that if a father sits and watches his child get tortured, raped, sodomized and does nothing about it he is as guilty as the perpetrator.
And since these things do happen to children and no god protects these children then there is no god out there worthy of worship.

It is far better to believe there is no god at all.

So I say, just be a good person and try to do as little harm as possible. That is really all us humans can do.

Last edited by Aeroman; 11-01-2010 at 03:04 PM.. Reason: God is bad, all the time ;)

Old 11-01-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroman View Post
I do not believe in any gods.
If I were pressured to consider a god well then I would have to say, there is a slight chance of a bad god.
I believe that if a father sits and watches his child get tortured, raped, sodomized and does nothing about it he is as guilty as the perpetrator.
And since these things do happen to children and no god protects these children then there is no god out there worthy of worship.

It is far better to believe there is no god at all.

So I say, just be a good person and try to do as little harm as possible. That is really all us humans can do.
..have yu ever considered the conceplt of karma and reincarnation,maybe there is a reason why people suffer,however all suffering is temporaryIMO,and those serving sentences will be releived from them alsothat does not mean we do not show care and commpassion,and maybe those who have alot of bad karma on their plate are actually getting less than what they deserve,like a farther showing mercy and at the same time punishing to teach,like teaching them a lesson but not going too hard on them considiring wat they have done,but we know people go to very low standards and destroy wholoe lives of people,their is a way other than eternall hell to teach,"do onto others",i agree with you there,"and we shall reap wahat we sow",karma.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:29 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,902,709 times
Believers, Yes or No: Is it possible god doesn't exist?

LOL, possible? of course, more importantly, it is also quite probable.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:35 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,121,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
..have yu ever considered the conceplt of karma and reincarnation,maybe there is a reason why people suffer,however all suffering is temporaryIMO,and those serving sentences will be releived from them alsothat does not mean we do not show care and commpassion,and maybe those who have alot of bad karma on their plate are actually getting less than what they deserve,like a farther showing mercy and at the same time punishing to teach,like teaching them a lesson but not going too hard on them considiring wat they have done,but we know people go to very low standards and destroy wholoe lives of people,their is a way other than eternall hell to teach,"do onto others",i agree with you there,"and we shall reap wahat we sow",karma.
Hi dobeable
Of coarse I’ve considered karma and rebirth.
But I don’t know what that has to do with if there is a good god.

If there’s a god and that god controls karma there is still no excuse in my mind that its right to harm children.
And without knowing what your being punished for is like beating a dog days after it pooped on the rug.

Last edited by Aeroman; 11-01-2010 at 08:15 PM.. Reason: Not a literalist of the Pali Canon, I am a Modern Theravada Buddhist.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:17 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,954,971 times
Quote:
there is a slight chance of a bad god.

Makes sense to me.

Of course, all the spiritual, religious "people" out there have all sorts of twisted illogical explanations why it is "there's a reason" the child gets "tortured, raped, sodomized".

And now to other news...

Creepy Pastor arrested for allegedly sexually assaulting 14-year-old girl | 89.3 KPCC

Church Attendance In America Is Declining

Why are better educated people less religious? http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab295/Myapple_01/_49049140_010136791-1.jpg (broken link)

Old 11-02-2010, 02:44 AM

27,200 posts, read 46,760,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
not tryin to intrude here in your personall life and you dont have to answer if you dont want to,but why dont you like being around other people????
I can answer that, but it might be considered off topic.

I don't trust other people.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Hi dobeable
Of coarse I’ve considered karma and rebirth.
But I don’t know what that has to do with if there is a good god.

If there’s a god and that god controls karma there is still no excuse in my mind that its right to harm children.
And without knowing what your being punished for is like beating a dog days after it pooped on the rug.
we might not understand while we have these body's as birth makes us forget our previous ones,but in our unmanifested stage-in-between births-we can see our past lives.

lets take a kid born in africa into faminn,in a previous life they could have been rulers,powerfull men who missused their power,they could have prevented millions from starving and now because of their actions,or inactions to help,they must face the same fate as those they refused to help,then when their sentence is up they will have learned to be humble,who knows but the way i see it is that God does exist and He is good and not like the ET doctrine thei are other ways to teach people,as i said alot of people do terrible things ,their has to be laws and that law is governed bye karma,"we reap what we sow",so if your a good geezer then you dont have much to worry about,and realize that all the pain and pleasures that come to us are temporary,the whole point of the veda's are to break free from the entanglement of material existence-karma and reincarnation.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:09 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,954,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I can answer that, but it might be considered off topic.

I don't trust other people.

I wonder if you have a different biology than I do.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:31 PM

28,151 posts, read 30,117,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Simple question. Nothing tricky here.

I've asked this to several people who claim to be open minded. Some say it isn't possible god doesn't exist, I know, kind of contradictory.

Some others, use weasel words like "For me, it isn't possible god doesn't exist."

Does "For me, it isn't possible god doesn't exist."

mean the same thing as

"It isn't possible god doesn't exist."?

What does "For me, ..." mean?

Does it mean:

god doesn't exist but I believe he does exist?

or

god doesn't exist but I want him to exist?

or

I think he does exist?

or

I am guessing he does exist?

or

Maybe he does exist?

or

It is possible he does exist?

or

It is not impossible he does exist?

or

It might not be impossible that he does exist?

or

I am not really sure but I've been trained to believe it is impossible he does not exist?

or

I'd feel really guilty if I told you it was possible he does not exist?
I hope I don't have to pick from one of these. I am a theist. I consider myself to be very open-minded. From my childhood, I was taught to question, and was never made to feel guilty for doubting something. Now, to answer your question... Yes, it's possible that God doesn't exist. I strongly believe He does, but I've been wrong about a few things in my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality