Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 10:49 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,449,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Simple question. Nothing tricky here.

I've asked this to several people who claim to be open minded. Some say it isn't possible god doesn't exist, I know, kind of contradictory.

Some others, use weasel words like "For me, it isn't possible god doesn't exist."

Does "For me, it isn't possible god doesn't exist."

mean the same thing as

"It isn't possible god doesn't exist."?

What does "For me, ..." mean?

Does it mean:

god doesn't exist but I believe he does exist?

or

god doesn't exist but I want him to exist?

or

I think he does exist?

or

I am guessing he does exist?

or

Maybe he does exist?

or

It is possible he does exist?

or

It is not impossible he does exist?

or

It might not be impossible that he does exist?

or

I am not really sure but I've been trained to believe it is impossible he does not exist?

or

I'd feel really guilty if I told you it was possible he does not exist?
God does exist!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 10:53 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,968,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
God does exist!
Let's see, either you

1) Still believe everything your mom and dad and pastor/priest/rabbi/etc told you

or

Your life at one point was so bad, so miserable, maybe suicidal, so depressed, that you "bit bottom" and the only way to pull out of that tailspin was to "See The Light", and "Find jesus" and now you just can't stop Spreading the Good News.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:59 AM

33,623 posts, read 37,274,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
LOL! You were just waiting to hear one theist admit that they could be wrong? And it took 30 posts for that to happen. I wonder how many posts it would take to find an atheist willing to admit that he could be wrong. I am as certain that God exists as most atheists are that He doesn't exist. I'm just willing to admit that I could be wrong, when most people -- theists and atheists alike -- are not.
Show me an atheist that says it is not possible for a god to exist...Just one...Most atheists don't have a problem saying "I could be wrong", that many theists do, so you are quite mistaken.

Most religious dogma does not allow followers to question their faith...

Old 11-03-2010, 11:00 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,595,486 times
Quote:
Let's see, either you

1) Still believe everything your mom and dad and pastor/priest/rabbi/etc told you

or

Your life at one point was so bad, so miserable, maybe suicidal, so depressed, that you "bit bottom" and the only way to pull out of that tailspin was to "See The Light", and "Find jesus" and now you just can't stop Spreading the Good News.
Or like me (raised in an atheistic home) you discovered the spiritual side of things and began on a journey. I found God during that Journey and ended up a Christian.

It was a very positive process.

I know a few people who found God after hitting bottom. "A few" being the operative word. Most that I know found God thru a positive process.

I think the reason why most theists say that can't be wrong is because once you experience God it is hard to say it wasn't real.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Or like me (raised in an atheistic home) you discovered the spiritual side of things and began on a journey. I found God during that Journey and ended up a Christian.

It was a very positive process.

I know a few people who found God after hitting bottom. "A few" being the operative word. Most that I know found God thru a positive process.

I think the reason why most theists say that can't be wrong is because once you experience God it is hard to say it wasn't real.
So, tell me could you be wrong? Is it possible that god does not exist?

Old 11-03-2010, 11:11 AM

28,151 posts, read 30,127,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Show me an atheist that says it is not possible for a god to exist...Just one...Most atheists don't have a problem saying "I could be wrong", that many theists do, so you are quite mistaken.
I'm just going by my own experience, sanspeur, as you are going by yours.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:17 AM

28,151 posts, read 30,127,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Until you and the other theists understand that, you will continue to misunderstand and misrepresent us.
It has not been my intention to misrepresent anyone, AREQUIPA. That is the last thing I would want to do since, as a Mormon, I've been on the receiving end of the misrepresentation so often. My personal experience is that neither theists nor atheists want to admit that they could be wrong, and as far as I'm concerned, they can be equally obnoxious in their refusal to see any point of view other than their own. As I said before, it's just what I've observed on forums like this that I've posted on for about ten years now. Maybe your experience is different.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:22 AM

27,200 posts, read 46,767,201 times
Quote:
Exactly; Atheists are smart enough to realize that anything is possible.
I have to disagree with that. Atheists are not open to the possibility, because they simply do not believe. At all. If they were open, they would be agnostic, saying that it cannot be known whether one exists or not. That's openness.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm just going by my own experience, sanspeur, as you are going by yours.
Well I'm mostly going by what I have read here from theists and atheists...You must not be paying attention to what you're reading.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:26 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,968,796 times
Experience is irrelevant. There are pretty well defined definitions of what a theist is and what an atheist is. In general, the majority of atheists accept the possibility that god may exist and in general, the majority of theists think it is impossible god doesn't exists "for them".

Atheism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality