Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2010, 04:22 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,003,946 times

Advertisements

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7h08RDYA5E

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 06:42 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,733,024 times
This is a great example of how religion can become dangerous. It's frightening to think that people keep voting nut-cases like this into office. It's also frightening to realize that there is no way to rationally argue with such people. Once you accept that the Bible is the literal word of God, the prospects for rational discussion go down the tubes. Science becomes virtually powerless in the face of this sort of political power because any scientific evidence contradicting their interpretation of the Bible is automatically considered to be flawed. Their attitude is: "Science must agree with me, or it is not really science!"

I wouldn't care much about people's private religious beliefs, except for the fact that these private beliefs can get translated into political power, and this power can be dangerous, not only for me as an individual, but for all life on earth. (Do we really want folks like this in charge of nuclear weapons?)

Old 11-09-2010, 06:48 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
George has an angle on it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuOBf-39t64

Old 11-09-2010, 06:50 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,345 times
Scary! Religion is dangerous when people are literal and unable to see positions as viable that are not seen as in line with the bible. You cannot argue with them. You cannot even have discussions with them because to have a discord means they might have to look at their views critically. It happens over and over here on cd. Discussions go on and good viable points are put out there but the literalists either continue a circular argument and when that doesn't work they just fall to insults. It really is my way is the only way.

I hold to everyone has a right to their various beliefs but it stops when it impinges on my life, or my families life.

It would be very dangerous for our country if the majority of folks in government had this narrow view of religion. Anytime religion becomes limited in its outlook it has the potential to become dangerous.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:20 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
Any time ANY religion gets mixed with politics, the result is dangerous.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:34 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,658,684 times
Makes you wonder, how much support and monetary contribution to his political campaign did he get from the mining companies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality