Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 01:58 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,264,136 times

Advertisements

The only difference between a cult and a religion is the degree of popularity. Christianity is a gigantic cult, which makes it a religion.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:03 PM

47 posts, read 59,707 times
Quote:
And that's fine - but again, no respected group in authority would agree with you
Well thats fine...I am comfortable on the outside in the gutter its where I've always been

Old 11-15-2010, 02:38 PM

Oh and my PHD is in living - I aint got no book learning and such...

After 50 years I know whats what and Christianity is the biggest fraud in the history of mankind ~

Old 11-15-2010, 02:41 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,246,264 times
The problem with trying to put ALL of the different divisions into one cult classification is that there are so many divisions. The rules vary. You have to worship on a certain day. You have to be baptised in a certain way. You can't cut your hair if you are a woman, you can't speak in church if you are a woman, you can't do this, that, or the other, etc. etc. etc.

Christianity certainly has groups within it that qualify as cults. But as unfortunate as it may be, some people simply need that kind of earthly guidance. They need to be told what to do. The church or cult is a substitute for a parent. What would your average (NOT the extremist, please) church member do without this guidance during times of stress? Could all of them rely on their own good sense? Probably not, as some don't seem to understand that they can.

Christianity (or cult, if you prefer) at this time, serves a purpose. In the past, there have been political groups that could do no wrong. (Think how Hitler manage to preach his gosple) Maybe we need it, maybe we don't. But I think that at the present time, it serves as ethical guide in most cases.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:42 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,234,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
Woah there. What do you mean by "Eastern tradition"?
Looking within for the Source.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:47 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,997,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintertao View Post
Oh and my PHD is in living - I aint got no book learning and such...

After 50 years I know whats what and Christianity is the biggest fraud in the history of mankind ~
Sad to me that you feel that way, but to quote the philosopher,
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Old 11-15-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Sad to me that you feel that way, but to quote the philosopher,
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
And I feel the same ~ I cant understand why some can't see the obvious cracks in Christianity ~ and they can't understand why I don't just see what they see ~ dif strokes for dif folks ~ but I love em all

Old 11-15-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
The only difference between a cult and a religion is the degree of popularity. Christianity is a gigantic cult, which makes it a religion.
so true catman ~

Old 11-15-2010, 04:28 PM

8,002 posts, read 12,327,238 times
Good evening, everyone!

Unfortunately, this forum isn't exactly the place to mock, troll, or flame other's faiths. If one wishes to do that, there is no shortage of other places/message boards in which one may do so. However, given the fact that we have a highly active Christianity subforum comprised of many members, and given the fact that they quite often frequent the main Religion & Philosophy forum, the mods need to take into account the OP and content of this thread, thus far. It's an open forum, and in the best interests of wanting to be fair to ALL members of this forum, it has been mutually agreed upon by both moderators that this thread be...

CLOSED.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality