Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 05:37 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,039,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
I haven't seen any studies on this, so we'll have to rely on personal opinions that you may wish to give based on your own experience. Maybe there are studies out there, and I just didn't do a good enough search. Anyway, here's the question.

Is it best for childrens interests to be raised in a home where parents practice a religion? Sometimes we hear it said that this type of environment provides a more structured and solid basis for a moral code during the formative years.

Or is it best for them to grow up in a home where there is no religion practiced? Does this environment help create a more rational individual that can later on be capable of independent thinking?

Or perhaps it doesn't really matter, and it all comes out in the wash with time. What do you think?
Personally, I don't believe that any religion is necessary. If we raised them with kindness, understanding, respect for others and self, humility and most of all Love, it would have a much deeler impact on their outcome than any religion could possibly do for them. We aren't perfect so we should never expect them to be perfect. We teach them the goodness in each other and the good qualities in the self. They will turn out to be great people with a positive attitude. If they choose to do something that goes against what has been taught, let them know how much they are still loved and whatever outcome they bring is only brought on by themselves.

I think religion puts a negative impact on children because they are taught to hate those that are not of the same opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 07:45 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,356,025 times
"I don't think my parents liked me. They put a live teddy bear in my crib."

Woody Allen

Old 11-19-2010, 08:24 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,968,796 times
Quote:
"I don't think my parents liked me. They put a live teddy bear in my crib."

Woody Allen

I'm so ugly that when I went for my proctology exam, the doctor stuck his finger in my mouth.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:38 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,576,223 times
I think the most important thing about raising children is love, stability, encouragement, boundaries.

Those four things (IMO) encompass many other factors that build good strong adults.

As far as religion goes, it is a personal decision of the parents..I believe that morals and good citizenry can be taught outside the various boxes of religions.

As for myself, I am a believer and I did tell my children about my faith, without forcing it on them through fear or obligation. I also took them to church, and vacation Bible School.

When they began to grow up we had many discussions about religion and I allowed them to go to different Churches with their friends because I wanted them to have it "their way" not necessarily "my way".
Definitely not their dad's and his family's way

Old 11-19-2010, 12:10 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,688,185 times
Quote:
I haven't seen any studies on this, so we'll have to rely on personal opinions that you may wish to give based on your own experience. Maybe there are studies out there, and I just didn't do a good enough search. Anyway, here's the question.

Is it best for childrens interests to be raised in a home where parents practice a religion? Sometimes we hear it said that this type of environment provides a more structured and solid basis for a moral code during the formative years.

Or is it best for them to grow up in a home where there is no religion practiced? Does this environment help create a more rational individual that can later on be capable of independent thinking?

Or perhaps it doesn't really matter, and it all comes out in the wash with time. What do you think?

nezlie, I'm not going to pretend to know everything about raising children in a religious home, however I will say take a look at the way the children of Native Americans are raised. We are raised to respect all living things, to respect our parents, to respect our Elders and to respect others choices, we never force things upon them, whether it be religion or lifestyle, give the children the tools and knowledge to make their own choices and they will do well in this world.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:06 PM

64,089 posts, read 40,382,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
nezlie, I'm not going to pretend to know everything about raising children in a religious home, however I will say take a look at the way the children of Native Americans are raised. We are raised to respect all living things, to respect our parents, to respect our Elders and to respect others choices, we never force things upon them, whether it be religion or lifestyle, give the children the tools and knowledge to make their own choices and they will do well in this world.
This is excellent advice . . . as long as some basis for discerning when respect is not deserved is included. I suspect it is.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:42 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,688,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This is excellent advice . . . as long as some basis for discerning when respect is not deserved is included. I suspect it is.

Mystic my friend you make a good point, in my culture respect is earned, as well as given. It goes both ways and our children are taught both how to give it and receive it.

Old 11-19-2010, 03:25 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,115,922 times
I may be a little biased here, but I think no religion is the better choice.

Kids need to learn they they alone are responsible for themselves and their actions. When they do something bad it's their fault, not some devil making them do it or sin. That's akin to the 'the dog ate my homework' excuse as far as I'm concerned.

Sure, you can raise kids to be moral with religion, but that means accepting all the other nonsense that comes with that religion, does it not? I mean, you can teach a kid that it's not right to lie or kill because the Bible/God says so. Well, fine, do you also teach them about original sin, eternal hell or some other perverted nonsense? Do you teach them about all the hideous acts of this God in the Bible and things done in His name?

I don't think it's worth it.

Old 11-19-2010, 03:32 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,057,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achickenchaser View Post
I may be a little biased here, but I think no religion is the better choice.

Kids need to learn they they alone are responsible for themselves and their actions. When they do something bad it's their fault, not some devil making them do it or sin. That's akin to the 'the dog ate my homework' excuse as far as I'm concerned.

Sure, you can raise kids to be moral with religion, but that means accepting all the other nonsense that comes with that religion, does it not? I mean, you can teach a kid that it's not right to lie or kill because the Bible/God says so. Well, fine, do you also teach them about original sin, eternal hell or some other perverted nonsense? Do you teach them about all the hideous acts of this God in the Bible and things done in His name?

I don't think it's worth it.
Not all religions have those beliefs. The only one I can think of is Christianity.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:54 PM

16,292 posts, read 28,603,434 times
Teach them to behave by threats of an invisible god throwing them into a lake of fire if they don't behave.
Teach them the hatred of others for simply having different ideas, or other trivial matters such as race, gender, sexuality.
Teach them to that asking why will not be allowed at all, it is heresy, it is sin.
Teach them to recite a prayer about dying, before their young minds have any concept of death.

Programming complete, and now you have a life long believer.

OR you could teach them to live, love, laugh, and most importantly think for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality