Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 07:54 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,343,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
How about "quiet as a church mouse." Are mice in churches quiet out of respect?

Three Pastors were having lunch together at a diner.

The first Pastor said: "Ya know, since summer started I've been having trouble with mice in my church. I've tried everything. Noise, spray, cats. Nothing seems to scare them away."

The second Pastor then said: "Yea, me too. I've got hundreds living in the basement of the church. I've set traps and even called an expert to get rid of them, yet they still won't go away."

With a grin on his face, the third Pastor said: "I had the same problem so I baptized all mine and made them members of the church ... Haven't seen one back since!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 08:16 AM

245 posts, read 455,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
This one says "gesundheit".
This one too, or "salud". Tradition dictates that the social norm is acknowledgement; so I do so in a manner that doesn't betray 'myself'.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:19 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,008,333 times
Quote:
Bless you!

Old 11-19-2010, 08:27 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,160,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preppy187 View Post
I do. Occasionally I forget but when I remember, I ask the Lord to do whatever the person needs done in their life.
America was founded on Christian principles.
Oooh boy. Here we go again. Another homeschooled "Christian nation" myther.

NO, America was not in fact founded on "Christian principles" (whatever those are - slavery, intolerance and oppression of women, perhaps). Not any way shape or form. Every bit of progress in human rights and freedoms we have won in this country over the years has been in direct conflict with "Christian principles". There are no Christian or Biblical principles that endorse democracy, equality or any of the freedoms we enjoy in this country. Certainly not freedom of religion. You will not find any mention of the Christian God, The Bible, Jesus or any "Christian principles" in any founding document of this country.

The USA was actually founded on the secular principles and ideals of Deism and The Enlightenment. Our laws come from the pagan common law and the laws of ancient Rome. Not Moses. Not the ten commandments. Not the Bible. Not Jesus or Bible god. Sorry!

Old 11-19-2010, 09:39 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,657,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
Oooh boy. Here we go again. Another homeschooled "Christian nation" myther.

NO, America was not in fact founded on "Christian principles" (whatever those are - slavery, intolerance and oppression of women, perhaps). Not any way shape or form. Every bit of progress in human rights and freedoms we have won in this country over the years has been in direct conflict with "Christian principles". There are no Christian or Biblical principles that endorse democracy, equality or any of the freedoms we enjoy in this country. Certainly not freedom of religion. You will not find any mention of the Christian God, The Bible, Jesus or any "Christian principles" in any founding document of this country.

The USA was actually founded on the secular principles and ideals of Deism and The Enlightenment. Our laws come from the pagan common law and the laws of ancient Rome. Not Moses. Not the ten commandments. Not the Bible. Not Jesus or Bible god. Sorry!
I knoooooow, the founders of this country would NEVER have done anything so horrible as own slaves, or treat women as not equal to men!

In your effort to fight reality...you have lost touch with it yourself.
You are right about one thing...this country didn't get it's start on "Christian Principles"...it got it's start on Christian RELIGIOUS Principles. You know...the kind that brought us the Crusades, and burned girls as "witches"...and in direct conflict with human rights and freedom--Not to be mistaken with Christian Principles and the core mandate, "Love Each Other".
The way I see it...the people who settled this country were as evil and heinous as any EVER. We got better as we went along, but we started out as lowdown and nasty as it gets. No religion, evil tyrant, dictator, or regime did worse.

Oh, and what Roman "Law" was that we got our start on?---Invade foreign land, kill nearly everyone, takeover and occupy, then claim it as yours...then get a bunch of slaves to do most of your work for you? Yeah, sure looks like they took a page from ancient Rome to me...MOF they were a lot like them!

Old 11-19-2010, 10:43 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,793,178 times
Quote:
I say "Gah'dam you". Seriously.

Spreading your germs all over the place. Gah'dam you.

Old 11-20-2010, 04:04 AM

651 posts, read 1,417,322 times
Last week, I spoke on the phone for about an hour with my brother in law who was just diagnosed with Lou Gehrig disease. He's a devout Christian but somehow we managed to avoid anything overtly religious for most of the conversation (probably because I was asking practical questions and trying to figure out how I could actually be of help). At the end of the conversation, he finally said "Pray for me." I'm fairly sure he knows I'm an atheist as it is on my Facebook page which he's seen. I was a bit surprised but quickly reasoned that this is probably how he ends the majority of his conversations. So, I told him "I'll keep you in my thoughts" which was the best I could do. There was an awkward pause on the phone as he digested what I said and we finally hung up with standard "Love yous". I'm not really sure what else I could have said. I'm not going to lie and tell him I will be praying because I won't. But, I will be thinking about him.

Last edited by Maia160; 11-20-2010 at 04:16 AM..

Old 11-20-2010, 08:11 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,014,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia160 View Post
Last week, I spoke on the phone for about an hour with my brother in law who was just diagnosed with Lou Gehrig disease. He's a devout Christian but somehow we managed to avoid anything overtly religious for most of the conversation (probably because I was asking practical questions and trying to figure out how I could actually be of help). At the end of the conversation, he finally said "Pray for me." I'm fairly sure he knows I'm an atheist as it is on my Facebook page which he's seen. I was a bit surprised but quickly reasoned that this is probably how he ends the majority of his conversations. So, I told him "I'll keep you in my thoughts" which was the best I could do. There was an awkward pause on the phone as he digested what I said and we finally hung up with standard "Love yous". I'm not really sure what else I could have said. I'm not going to lie and tell him I will be praying because I won't. But, I will be thinking about him.
it's fine. he'll probably ponder it some more but you closed the conversation with the main thing..... love. he knows he's in your thoughts and that you want the best for him.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:13 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,014,922 times
"she's a good church girl."

Old 11-20-2010, 08:40 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,616,724 times
"In God We Trust" appears on our coins. I guess that qualifies as religio-speak. Religio-speak literally engraved in metal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality