Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 08:11 AM

783 posts, read 815,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
I suspect that the longer, relatively speaking, periods of darkness found in Scandinavian areas, have more to do with the suicide rate than religion. Although, if I had to put up with religious drivel on a weekly basis, I might consider suicide as a form of self defense.
The high Scandinavian suicide rate is just a myth and is not supported by facts or statistics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2010, 08:18 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,868,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanskills View Post
Thats weird because The United States of America is the most powerful Nation that has EVER existed on the planet. (and is predominetly Christian)

Kind of blows your little hippie theory out of the water

The us is not among the most religous however.

Old 11-26-2010, 08:44 AM

783 posts, read 815,818 times
Increased prospserity and educational level in societys in generall leads to reduced influence of religion prosperity leads to a reduction in religious belifs.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:42 AM

713 posts, read 1,958,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
So you are saying that people who believe less...do better?
Well it is all they have... one life, one world, one chance.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:57 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,555,357 times
Quote:
Thats weird because The United States of America is the most powerful Nation that has EVER existed on the planet. (and is predominetly Christian)

Keep that in mind while some representative of the government fondles your junk just so you can get on an airplane. This is a country overrun with cowards and crybabies. If that is what religion does to people, I'll pass.

Old 11-26-2010, 11:34 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,868,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
The us is not among the most religous however.
Quote:

And guess what also....the richest states are also the most nonreligious .

Old 11-26-2010, 03:32 PM

33,567 posts, read 37,182,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperStar34 View Post
Well it is all they have... one life, one world, one chance.
News flash for you....That's all anyone has, so why waste it?

Old 11-26-2010, 06:31 PM

56 posts, read 94,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post

There's no inherent logical reason to be moral without religion? Really? LOL!

Bullshyte.

OK, so I'll bite at the risk that you really know something about philosophy.

Which moral code is logical without a transcendent arbiter? Why are your beliefs any more valid than mine or anyone elses? You are essentially arguing that every person is their own "God". If I choose to step on a bug what is the difference if I step on you? Might makes right as they say.

This is not to say that you can't act "moral", but that term is defined in relation to the religion you are protesting against. You can't evaluate moral without a standard and you can't show any standard as being valid without a objective standard. It is relativism at its worst.

Again, there is no inherent logical reason for any definition of moral.

This country reconizes that morality springs from the fact that men are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights

Without this acknowledgement you are at the mercy of your leader who is under no authority but his own. God help the people in Atheistic countries where people actually act this out - see Pol Pot in Cambodia, Stalin in Russia, etc.

Old 11-26-2010, 06:43 PM

33,567 posts, read 37,182,394 times
Natural rights, also called inalienable rights, are considered to be self-evident and universal. They are not contingent upon the laws, customs, or beliefs of any particular culture or government. No creator needed.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:52 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,161,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRR View Post
OK, so I'll bite at the risk that you really know something about philosophy.
I'd hope so, having studied it for 30 years.

Quote:
Which moral code is logical without a transcendent arbiter?
Oh, pretty much any that I could make up on my own any day of the week

Quote:
Why are your beliefs any more valid than mine or anyone elses? You are essentially arguing that every person is their own "God". If I choose to step on a bug what is the difference if I step on you? Might makes right as they say.
Uh, actually it is usually the religious who say that. Bible gawd certainly lives by it. He had no problem with using might makes right to inflict mass genocide on the Israelite's neighbors.

Nazi Germany under Hitler (a Christian tyrant leading a Christian nation) had no qualms with "might makes right", either. Nor has any other theistic nation - whether Christian, Muslim, etc

Quote:
Again, there is no inherent logical reason for any definition of moral.
Sure there is. The realization and continued operation of a workable society of human beings cooperating toward a shared goal - namely the betterment of mankind.

Quote:
This country reconizes that morality springs from the fact that men are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights
Endowed by the Deist creator BTW - a creator that did NOT deliver a moral code but left the universe to its own ends. Being endowed with inalienable rights is not quite the same as having a set of moral laws and edicts hand delivered by Mr. Deity. That has never happened. Never will. All laws and morals are man-made.

Quote:
Without this acknowledgement you are at the mercy of your leader who is under no authority but his own.
You and I are ever at the mercy of whomever has the power and authority, regardless of any ackowledgement of a God or transcendent power. Do you really believe gawd is going to come down from on high and defend your human rights? Not going to happen. You will have to depend on other humans to do that. With gawd, all you have is some scribblings in a man made book promising some possible threat of judgment after death for the bad guys, which history shows is not all that effective at promoting peace love and understanding in the world.

That's why it is VERY important that logical, rational THINKING people are in control and calling the shots, who enforce a sound moral and legal code for society directly.

Quote:
God help the people in Atheistic countries where people actually act this out - see Pol Pot in Cambodia, Stalin in Russia, etc.
But God didn't help them, did he? Never does, in fact. Seems he's not really that great of an arbiter of justice and morality, huh? Of course he also never helps any of the poor souls in religious countries ruled by those who supposedly follow his "objective moral code". It is a fact most of the atrocities in the history of humanity have been at the hands of those enforcing the "morals" of some deity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality