Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 09:12 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,948,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
You assume because I'm a Christian, I am unthinking. That's typical of your ilk.

You say I'm one of the convinced. This is true. You assume I was brainwashed, or at least weak-minded, no? Isn't it possible I experienced God to the point I became convinced?

Why do you think so many people throughout human history have felt God's presence, no matter what religion they were attached to? Can all these people be wrong? Is most of mankind that gullible? Are there only a small minority of intellectually honest people, as you claim to be?
Don't "ilk" me. I make no such assumptions but I have not yet found a Christian, particularly those who operate at the lower end of the intellectual honesty range (like c34 for instance, and demonstrably so...) who has been able to honestly answer direct questions that would, if so dealt with, prove even to that person the improbability or lack of necessity for a God.

I also didn't call you weak-minded, BTW. Rather, you perhaps have either not had the opportunities to consider the alternatives that I have, or, as with most dedicated Christian adults, you may have chosen to never consider, or to quickly dismiss, alternate rational evidence, no matter how compelling and confirmed by multiple independent study.

Yet, oddly, such folk always jump on to the latest religious "findings" no matter how poorly done or undocumented, that provide "proof" of their God. When such frauds are easily shown-up, the yowling of science's bias and dishonesty fill the halls.

Since there is no God (IMHO), one comes to expect such a paucity or weakness of evidence. That's just logical after all; the nonexistent cannot be easily proven to be. As well, all the things He is credited for, all the wildly improbable things, have long since been demonstrated to be the result of simple logic or natural occurrence. Yet even those reproducible demonstrations are denied, relentlessly.

As AREQUIPA so succinctly and correctly states above, and it bears repeating here:
"You have to understand that belief in what is unproven and actually has become ever more unlikely and unnecessary as a theory is irrational and illogical.

We do not have statistically or evidentially compelling evidence for an afterlife or any kind of personal god, and even First Cause is looking unnecessary these days."

That's all that need be said, frankly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 05:04 AM

50,109 posts, read 20,866,356 times
in reply to jimmie's

"Why do you think so many people throughout human history have felt God's presence, no matter what religion they were attached to? Can all these people be wrong? Is most of mankind that gullible? Are there only a small minority of intellectually honest people, as you claim to be?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
...I also didn't call you weak-minded, BTW. Rather, you perhaps have either not had the opportunities to consider the alternatives that I have, or, as with most dedicated Christian adults, you may have chosen to never consider, or to quickly dismiss, alternate rational evidence, no matter how compelling and confirmed by multiple independent study.

Yet, oddly, such folk always jump on to the latest religious "findings" no matter how poorly done or undocumented, that provide "proof" of their God.
The distinction is we (skeptics; questioners) look at this feeling of presence but we ask what it is. Why do peple feel this way? Is it just a feeling humans have, like anger or pain or hunger? Is it some force like a shock we get from electricity or gravity or light which affect us all? Is it something else?

But jimmie alreasy knows. "felt God's presence, no matter what religion they were attached to" The assumption that it is some kind of invisible superhuman is understandable, but it really is now open to question and the appeal to numbers or tradition or something like our chum Kramer's preference for untaught (at least by ayone other than the theists) conclusions about what it is surely short - sighted.

I can understand presenting it this as data to be considered, but it isn't. It is presented as proof of something and why doubting it is supposedly wrong.

"Can all these people be wrong? Is most of mankind that gullible? Are there only a small minority of intellectually honest people," jimmie asks.

I have to say, yes. It's not their fault. It's how we evolved. As Matrix (explaining Plantinga) pointed out, our evolved senses and faculties are (by definition) intended to help us survive, not to discover the truth. Illogical, deceptive and self - justifying persuasion is the norm in our life. Objective appraisal of fact is not common and sound logic and the scientific method is only correctly applied in those areas and by those people trained to use it.

It is not taught in our schools. We are taught rather by the 'book says so' system because it is quicker than debating everything. But, yes, the majority are rather gullible and it is encouraging that a good 40 % are now beginning to learn to question what they fed by politicians, advertisers, the religious, cultists and other con - men.

All we ask is that you apply the methods of intellectual honesty. They are well -known. If your views are soundly based, you have nothing to fear. If they are not, you can only benefit from amending them. How about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality