Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Were you predestined to be a Christian?
Yes, scripture clearly teaches it. 3 17.65%
No, I chose to follow Christ of my own free will. 6 35.29%
No, I was predestined to follow another path besides Christianity. 0 0%
Predestination is for the birds. I walk to the beat of my own drum! 3 17.65%
My belief is not represented here, and I will elaborate via post. 5 29.41%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 10:58 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,200,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzedforhim View Post
Plad, He predetermined according to His foreknowledge but in the present time we have free will...I could have chosen the milk...if I had then God would have foreknown that too and predetermined accordingly.

I told you it was circular.
Okay, I TRULY don't get what you're saying here! Huh?

And kay, you are never going to let me live that down are you! Your perspective is the common one in orthodoxy, and I truly meant that the opinion was, IMO, gobbeldy-gunk. So it was more like a general slam meant for millions of people that you happened to be in...LOL. Sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 11:02 AM

954 posts, read 813,440 times
Quote:
Plad, He predetermined according to His foreknowledge but in the present time we have free will...I could have chosen the milk...if I had then God would have foreknown that too and predetermined accordingly.

Oh dear!! I'm off to the Masturbation thread. Oh drat...it's closed! It will have to be oral sex then.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:06 AM

1,587 posts, read 3,911,548 times
Quote:

What came first the chicken or the egg? Which came first our actions or God's predetermination? You can't say God predetermined anything without also accepting that he also has foreknowledge of it all. I believe that God in his foreknowledge (knowing us before we were born, and Christ's death before the foundation of the world) knew how the "video" would be played out and thus by that (as you said) he has predetermined who would be the elect. But, in the present time that we are in we have free will to make a choice. We are not God and we do not know how the "video" will play out, but He does.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:08 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,492,423 times
I haven't really been keeping up. I have had a lot of stuff here at home to take care of (just mundane, routine stuff that gets ignored because I am on the religion board too much!)

But I question.....just because someone knows what you will choose, does that negate free will?

God may have foreknowlege as to who will get hooked on drugs, who will become a prostitute, etc....but I don't believe he creates the sin or doesn't allow people a way out.

13 No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.

(1 Corinthians 10:13, NIV)

Dawn

Old 07-11-2007, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
But I question.....just because someone knows what you will choose, does that negate free will?

God may have foreknowlege as to who will get hooked on drugs, who will become a prostitute, etc....but I don't believe he creates the sin or doesn't allow people a way out.

13 No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.

(1 Corinthians 10:13, NIV)

Dawn
You know, I have taken a harsh stance at times for the sake of argument , but really, I am starting to think that it's a combo deal? Basically, God does know all, but He lets us make the choices, and He knows all of the possible outcomes. The problem then is how does God have complete foreknowledge? Knowing, for instance, 3 possible outcomes is not the same as knowing what WILL happen, but is just knowing the possiblities. Any thoughts?

Old 07-11-2007, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
You know, I have taken a harsh stance at times for the sake of argument , but really, I am starting to think that it's a combo deal? Basically, God does know all, but He lets us make the choices, and He knows all of the possible outcomes. The problem then is how does God have complete foreknowledge? Knowing, for instance, 3 possible outcomes is not the same as knowing what WILL happen, but is just knowing the possiblities. Any thoughts?
I think He does know what will happen.

Old 07-11-2007, 12:37 PM

Quote:
I think He does know what will happen.
So if He does know what happens, why create so many who will not choose Him?

Old 07-11-2007, 12:40 PM

Quote:
He allowed them to choose...he didn't create them with the purpose in mind for them to not choose Him. He wishes for none to perish.

Old 07-11-2007, 12:42 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times
Quote:
This is very philosophical, but one more time let me try to explain this better than I seem to have done previously. He can't make the choice based on who will respond to Him because His foreknowledge is based on what they have already chosen. Jazz's timelime again.

Old 07-11-2007, 12:43 PM

Quote:
He allowed them to choose...he didn't create them with the purpose in mind for them to not choose Him. He wishes for none to perish.
If He did not create them with the purpose in mind for them to not choose Him, then why was Jesus the Lamb of God, slain before the foundation of the world?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality