Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 04:24 PM

18,968 posts, read 11,630,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
I moved to Houston, Tx this year and I've noticed that some stores here have "Merry Christmas" signs displayed. In Miami you would never see that. It was always the more cowardly "Happy Holidays" so as to not offend the athiests.

The place I saw the most religious Christmas celebrations was in The Philippines. It was a refreshing change from the consumerism of America's "Christmas" celebration.
If anyone is wondering how to get under the skin of non-christians and non-believers, this sort of hubris and oblivious assertion of christian privilege is a good example of how to start.

As Sanspeur pointed out - it's not all about you! Christianity might be the majority religion in the US but it isn't the only religion. It isn't just holy christians vs heathen atheists. There are other religions and cultures that have things to celebrate/observe in December. Happy Holidays isn't about being cowardly or pc - it's about acknowledging that there are so many events in this 'season' that you might as well smile, lump everyone in together, and be done with it. It's not about reducing the importance of one religion's sacred celebration - it's just a nicer way to say Happy Effing Everything to everybody. You know - being inclusive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 04:53 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,230,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
Yay! Festivus!!

(that episode was hilarious)
I start laughing just thinking about that episode! Sigh...

Old 11-30-2010, 05:43 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,227,024 times
Quote:
I moved to Houston, Tx this year and I've noticed that some stores here have "Merry Christmas" signs displayed. In Miami you would never see that. It was always the more cowardly "Happy Holidays" so as to not offend the athiests.

The place I saw the most religious Christmas celebrations was in The Philippines. It was a refreshing change from the consumerism of America's "Christmas" celebration.
I guess you are so wrapped up in the christian persecution complex that you don't even realize that there are other religious holidays in December, besides yours? Shouldn't everyone be recognized with a greeting while shopping, and not just christians? Sheesh!

Old 11-30-2010, 06:13 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,528,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
Yay! Festivus!!

(that episode was hilarious)
That would be "Festivus, for the Rest of Us..."

And I agree -- that episode was G R E A T !

Old 11-30-2010, 06:21 PM

225 posts, read 757,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Ya, might as well be called Cha-chingmas. I'm not into Jesus but I'd think Christians should be more offended if Jesus was used as a spokesmodel to hawk wares or camels that fit through the eye of a needle instead of spreading peace, love, and understanding. Plus that'd be super creepy - Jesus ride-on mowers for dad, Christ shaped chewy dog treats...nah.
Conservative Christianity = Capitalism. They might as well be one and the same. Both are all about people who cannot afford to spend money on lavish gifts sending their money to those who don't need any more money. The same people who espouse Conservative Christianity (racism, hate, homophobia, anti-immigration, et.al.) also espouse Capitalism (tax cuts for the wealth, private health insurance for those who can afford it, cuts to public education, cuts to the arts, repeal of public transport funding). Looks like they are one and the same.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:34 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,845,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brssplr View Post
Conservative Christianity = Capitalism. They might as well be one and the same. Both are all about people who cannot afford to spend money on lavish gifts sending their money to those who don't need any more money. The same people who espouse Conservative Christianity (racism, hate, homophobia, anti-immigration, et.al.) also espouse Capitalism (tax cuts for the wealth, private health insurance for those who can afford it, cuts to public education, cuts to the arts, repeal of public transport funding). Looks like they are one and the same.

but the amazing thing is that we all compete in the same working place, and have the same relief from competition with the famous promissory note of tending to the commonwealth, each other's currency bill of right.

Of course, by the bill of rights we also set up judges and solicitors to hide these other greedy attitudes. I thought I was rather left wing; but I'm not happy that way for just being free.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:39 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,703,699 times
Quote:

Cowardly? Puhleeeze. You may not know this, but not everyone is an ignorant redneck from Texas who thinks there's only one holiday from one certain religion or culture that is celebrated this time of year. That kind of attitude is why other countries think we're boorish hicks.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:44 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,230,613 times
I always thought that Happy Holidays was simply a way to include Hannukah, Kwanzaa, and every other December holiday. I thought it was a nice gesture as opposed to a way not to offend the atheists. To be perfectly honest, it seems if you didn't want to offend the atheists at all - it would turn into something like "Have a nice December" as opposed to Happy Holidays.
Why must people get their panties in a bunch over such a nice thing as Happy Holidays?

Old 11-30-2010, 06:59 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,880,280 times
Quote:

yes the philippines...the place where on easter people actually nail themselves to the cross...

Old 11-30-2010, 06:59 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,528,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Why must people get their panties in a bunch over such a nice thing as Happy Holidays?
IMO, those who "get their panties in a bunch" are Christians who simply do not "get it" that many other faiths, traditions and beliefs also celebrate during the same time period, and that they have done so far longer than Christians.

IMO, those who "get their panties in a bunch" are Christians who simply do not "get it" that the majority of the traditions of their own "Christian Christmas" were borrowed (read as "co-opted" or "stolen") from other religions and beliefs that, once again, significantly predated their own.

In both cases, Christians INSIST that the only possible greeting is "Merry Christmas", which is both ignorant and narrow-minded. That is my opinion, of course. As always, YMMV.

-- Nighteyes (who follows the teachings of Christ as he understands them)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality