Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 02:38 PM

122 posts, read 143,897 times

Advertisements

I think what truth Light has shown is enough.But I will just add more info for anyone who wants to know the reality.

[LEFT]How Christinity was spread
Often by force. Constantine made it the "official" religion of the roman empire which is the main reason (in my opinion) it is as prevailant as it is today. The crusaides were 200 years of holy wars, and during the inquisition which lasted 600 years and ended just this last century, anyone within the church's grasp could be tortured, executed, etc (usually by the most horrific means imaginable, being cooked alive, having your bones crushed and dislocated etc) for contradicting the teachings of the church even (or I should say especially) if you believed in the bible and christ.

Read more: Answers.com - How did Christianity religion Spread

[SIZE=-1]My choice of Muhammad to lead the list of the world's most influential persons may surprise some readers and may be questioned by others, but he was the only man in history who was supremely successful on both the religious and secular levels. Of humble origins, Muhammad founded and promulgated one of the world's great religions, and became an immensely effective political leader. Today, thirteen centuries after his death, his influence is still powerful and pervasive. The majority of the persons in this book had the advantage of being born and raised in centers of civilization, highly cultured or politically pivotal nations. Muhammad, however, was born in the year 570, in the city of Mecca, in southern Arabia, at that time a backward area of the world, far from the centers of trade, art, and learning. Orphaned at age six, he was reared in modest surroundings. Islamic tradition tells us that he was illiterate. His economic position improved when, at age twenty-five, he married a wealthy widow. Nevertheless, as he approached forty, there was little outward indication that he was a remarkable person. Most Arabs at that time were pagans, who believed in many gods. There were, however, in Mecca, a small number of Jews and Christians; it was from them no doubt that Muhammad first learned of a single, omnipotent God who ruled the entire universe. When he was forty years old, Muhammad became convinced that this one true God (Allah) was speaking to him, and had chosen him to spread the true faith. For three years, Muhammad preached only to close friends and associates. Then, about 613, he began preaching in public. As he slowly gained converts, the Meccan authorities came to consider him a dangerous nuisance. In 622, fearing for his safety, Muhammad fled to Medina (a city some 200 miles north of Mecca), where he had been offered a position of considerable political power. This flight, called the Hegira, was the turning point of the Prophet's life. In Mecca, he had had few followers. In Medina, he had many more, and he soon acquired an influence that made him a virtual dictator. During the next few years, while Muhammad's following grew rapidly, a series of battles were fought between Medina and Mecca. This was ended in 630 with Muhammad's triumphant return to Mecca as conqueror. The remaining two and one-half years of his life witnessed the rapid conversion of the Arab tribes to the new religion.[/SIZE][SIZE=-1][/SIZE]

____
More info about him.
Excellent Qualities (http://www.muhammad.net/excellent-qualities-mainmenu-33.html - broken link)
[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 03:30 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,680,703 times
Well all I've got to say is that Islam will never be recognized as a religion among the Native Americans of this land and if any Muslim tries to force it upon us, they will be met with a force so great that they will not survive it, our beliefs are so polar opposite that Islam does not stand a chance against a belief and culture many thousands of years older than it is.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:31 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,516,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muslim22 View Post
I think what truth Light has shown is enough.But I will just add more info for anyone who wants to know the reality.
-Snip-
Does it bother you that Mohammed was an illiterate dictator?

Old 11-29-2010, 06:33 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,225,092 times
To be perfectly honest - I think part of the thing is that Mohammed is the most common name for Muslims to name their sons. There is no one name in Christianity that people name their children. In many Spanish speaking countries, Jesus seems to be a common name - but English speaking countries don't seem to name their children Jesus. English speaking Christians have a myriad of biblical names that they choose from. I think that's why Mohammed is so popular even though I think there are still far more Christians than Muslims in the world.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:33 PM

122 posts, read 143,897 times
Not a dictator, he was a leader because a dictator would be selfish and want everything for himself.Even though he could live a life like any other leader,he kept simple.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:27 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,672,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muslim22 View Post
Not a dictator, he was a leader because a dictator would be selfish and want everything for himself.Even though he could live a life like any other leader,he kept simple.
No, he wasn't much of a leader either. How many people did he lead during his lifetime? He may have been instrumental in founding Islam, but it wasn't anything like a force during his lifetime. That all happened long after his death.

By the way, isn't it also true that there are a limited number of names given to children in strict Islamic households? So there should be quite a few names that are just as common as Mohammed.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:56 PM

63,999 posts, read 40,305,851 times
Too bad . . . the UK should have been wiser and more vigilant in its immigration policies.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:33 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,605,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
To be perfectly honest - I think part of the thing is that Mohammed is the most common name for Muslims to name their sons. There is no one name in Christianity that people name their children.
Exactly, that's an important part of it.

And although I do think Islam is inherently more violent than Christianity I'm not really on board with the kind of paranoia about Islam some Christian conservatives have. Muhammad did have some admirable qualities and good ideas as well. Islam encouraged an interest in astronomy and in charity. Turkish, Balkan, Malian, and Senegalese Muslims tend to be fairly moderate. Muslim splinter groups like Ahmadiyya, Alevi, Bekhtashi, and Ismaili are generally peaceful. Most Sufis are not a problem.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:38 PM
juj juj started this thread

1,657 posts, read 2,637,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Exactly, that's an important part of it.

And although I do think Islam is inherently more violent than Christianity I'm not really on board with the kind of paranoia about Islam some Christian conservatives have. Muhammad did have some admirable qualities and good ideas as well. Islam encouraged an interest in astronomy and in charity. Turkish, Balkan, Malian, and Senegalese Muslims tend to be fairly moderate. Muslim splinter groups like Ahmadiyya, Alevi, Bekhtashi, and Ismaili are generally peaceful. Most Sufis are not a problem.
I think we all agree that the vast majority of Muslims reject the violence eminating from the Koran and Mohammed. But with over 1.3+ billion Muslims, the number of Muslims that represent the violent two percent is very disconcerting for the rest of us. It only took 19 on the planes and maybe 25 more for support to kill almost 3000 Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality