Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 06:56 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,595,029 times

Advertisements

A belief in a monotheistic and unitary God, a belief in Prophets, valuing of religious laws, and rules against eating pork. I imagine the charts give more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 10:51 PM

131 posts, read 114,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Wow, I had to reread because you have listed exactly what Christianity and Islam believe. You ought to read up on Judaism because much of what you wrote does not speak to Judaism.
All of these statements are completely factual. The statement about heaven and hell with respect to Judaism is interpretational. Some Jews believe that your "heaven" and "hell" is experienced during this lifetime, only. Therefore, to these Jews, there is no afterlife! Some Jews believe that when you die, your hell is a place of eternal darkness, called "Sheol" or "Gehenna" where the pain of eternal separation from all that is sacred is experienced (in other words, total ignorance of the conscious world). Your heaven after death is the intimate proximity with spiritual ancestors and a semi-spiritual state in "Gan-Eden" where you remain in a blissful state until the true Messiah has returned where all that is sacred, will come together at once.

Last edited by Farrowlane; 12-02-2010 at 11:18 PM..

Old 12-03-2010, 04:37 AM

30,407 posts, read 52,039,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrowlane View Post
They both believe that their religion, is the only one that is right.
Really? I thought that was Christianity? In reality you'll find more "agnostics" at a synagogue than any church in the world... especially at a Reform Synagogue, where they even encourage us to question faith from all sides. We also had a comparative religions seminar (all year) in Sunday School, where they introduced us to a variety of religions and beliefs. I wonder how many churches and mosques would have such a program? Btw, have you ever been to a Jewish service?

Quote:
They both are therefore, self-righteous.
All religions have their share of self-righteousness... Jews and Muslims no more so than Catholics, Christians and Buddhists, I imagine.

Quote:
They both continue to have violent propensities.
You're obviously thinking of Israeli & Arab politics, not Judaism or Islam as a whole... and if we're going to compare violent histories, I think a few other religions might have their share of stories. Not to mention, most of the violence in Jewish history is based in self-defense. We're now in the festival of lights (Chanukah), which is a prime example of this historical occurrence.

Quote:
They both subjugate the living status of women, because women are NOT viewed as being equals in either culture.
Now this I can't argue with, but only if we're speaking of the extreme sects... you'll never see a female Rabbi at an uber-Orthodox temple, and usually the female congregants are forced to sit separately from the men. On the other hand, Reform & Conservative synagogues welcome female leaders, and treat us as full equals - my temple actually has a female lesbian Rabbi, so obviously we don't care! But again, this can all be said about nearly every religion.

Quote:
They both are adversed to Christianity and one another, as well.
I am not "adversed" (sic) to any one religion, as I treat all people as equals... they also don't teach us to hate Christians & Muslims, as so many would love to believe. Each place of worship is different, I suppose, but I've never heard a bad thing about Christianity or Islam in my temples.

Old 12-03-2010, 04:42 AM

30,407 posts, read 52,039,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.E.O View Post
Best answer.
Thanks Farrowlane.
It was probably the worst answer, but apparently you found what you were seeking...

Old 12-03-2010, 05:50 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,051,760 times
Quote:
All of these statements are completely factual. The statement about heaven and hell with respect to Judaism is interpretational. Some Jews believe that your "heaven" and "hell" is experienced during this lifetime, only. Therefore, to these Jews, there is no afterlife! Some Jews believe that when you die, your hell is a place of eternal darkness, called "Sheol" or "Gehenna" where the pain of eternal separation from all that is sacred is experienced (in other words, total ignorance of the conscious world). Your heaven after death is the intimate proximity with spiritual ancestors and a semi-spiritual state in "Gan-Eden" where you remain in a blissful state until the true Messiah has returned where all that is sacred, will come together at once.
As a Jew I can say your statements are not all factual. You are painting Judaism with a broad brush as if all Jews have the same belief. They speak with a deep bias against Judaism and Jews.

Last edited by Jazzymom; 12-03-2010 at 07:19 AM..

Old 12-03-2010, 07:17 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,051,760 times
As is the case when members speak about a religion they are not a part of they usually get some of it wrong. Judaism like Christianity is not a monolith, we all do not think alike or have the exact same beliefs. What you have said is like me saying that all Christians believe exactly the same thing and you and I both know that is not the case.

Quote:
The similarities as far as I am concerned are the fact that they are both Abrahamic derivations. yes

They both have some sacred text from which they use information to guide their daily lives. Depends on the denomination. Orthodox to liberal denominations within Judaism have very different views on sacred text.

Neither group eats pork. Jews have a whole dietary code called Kashrut, not all Jews follow these laws. Again you will find diversity.

They both have violent histories. Most of the violence has been directed towards Jews by Christians and Muslims.

They both are monotheistic. Yes

They both believe in similar types of actions yield similar types of sins. What types of actions?

They both believe in a heaven and a hell.

Heaven and Hell in Jewish Tradition - My Jewish Learning

Afterlife

Jewish (http://www.biblehistory.com/Jewish.html - broken link)

The beliefs are very different. Christians and Muslims believe in and endtime and working towards that goal and everything they do is to make it to that goal. Judaism believes that how you are now and your behavior now are important. We should behave in an ethical manner. We emphasis what we do now, not what happens after we die. We also believe you don't need to be Jewish to have a relationship with G-d.

They both believe that their religion, is the only one that is right. Judaism does not have this belief.

They both are therefore, self-righteous. As a Jew I don't see this among my fellow Jews. I do see this more from Christians and Muslims.

They both continue to have violent propensities. Jews have been on the receiving end of violence through out history more then Christians and Muslims. Christians and Jews have a very violent history.

They both believe in angels and demons. Angel (Gre. Messenger). Came to be used specifically for a class of extra human ("spiritual") beings, both good (usually) and bad (“demons”) who become involved in human affairs; common to Judaism, Christianity and Islam. A leader or special functionary among the angels is sometimes called an "archangel" (e.g., Michael, Gabriel).

Here is a link concerning the Jewish ideas of angels: Angels - My Jewish Learning

Here is a link concerning Jewish ideas of demons: Do Jews Believe in Demons? - My Jewish Learning

They both subjugate the living status of women, because women are NOT viewed as being equals in either culture. Again within all 3 religions there are denominations that have separation of men and women during worship. Several branches of Judaism have women rabbis and egalitarian worship practices. It really does not work well to brush a whole religion with one brush because a one size fits all does not work in any of the 3 monotheistic religions.

They both are adversed to Christianity and one another, as well. Jews are perfectly fine with Christians and Muslims. We just want to live without fear, have the freedom to practice our religion.

That's it for now.

Thanks for the opportunity!

Have A Nice Day!

Old 12-03-2010, 07:19 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,885,682 times
What are the similarities between Islam and Judaism?

Would it be safe to assume you meant...."other than a mythology based religion"?

Old 12-03-2010, 07:52 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,651,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
What are the similarities between Islam and Judaism?

Would it be safe to assume you meant...."other than a mythology based religion"?
If that was going to be the standard, then I think there might be a few other religions that qualify as having similarities! (Well, OK, it's not true that I "think" so. I know so.)

Old 12-04-2010, 10:23 AM

69 posts, read 95,745 times
Judaism and Islam are very similar in structure. Its just one is ethno-centric while the other is sectarian. Both have oral traditions to abrogate their scriptures. Judaism is a function of the Pharisees while Islam is a function of the pagans of Mecca. The Pharisees were cursed in the Gospel while the pagans of Mecca were cursed in the Koran. The Judaism followed by most Jews is radically different than the Judaism of Moses or David. In fact the term Judaism was never used during the times of the prophets. Islam simply followed suit. Maybe its a semitic thing.

See for yourself.

Islam and Judiasm - Influences Contrasts and Parallels

Thats what you call Judeo-Islamic. There is nothing called Judeo-Christian.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:46 PM

105 posts, read 213,127 times
Thanks Quranist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality