Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 05:48 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,236,701 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by slambango
Quote:
Man created science all by himself.
Uhm, no. Science is a reaction to reality so science can't create anything all by itself.
Nor can man create anything all by himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 05:51 AM

33,548 posts, read 37,151,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
If you are going to look to science for the answers, it should be able to supply the correct ones, and not give you the wrong conclusion. Like, for example, the idea that ulcers are caused by stress.

We know that amazing conclusion is completely wrong now. Heliobacter pylori is responsible (or at least that's what they think NOW, it could be yet something else).

How many things give you cancer again? I've lost track.
You need to keep up, science advances very rapidly these days.

More than a third of the population are infected with Heliobacter pylori, but it only causes ulcers in those under stress, so stress does cause ulcers among many other things. Long term stress erodes the caps ( telomeres that keep them from coming unraveled) on the ends of your chromosomes thus shortening your life. It causes damage to the arteries. It causes problems in the brain interfering with memory and learning ability, not to mention bouts of depression, heart disease, obesity, pain, sleep problems, digestive problems and skin conditions such as eczema. These are all made worse because too much stress also suppresses your immune system.

The life span of a person under long term stress is much shorter on average than those living relatively stress free lives.

How do I know all this? Because of research by scientists.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:00 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,558,564 times
Quote:
Most theories work that way.

Like, the Big Bang.
Except that there is evidence for most theories like the big bang.

How about this: I will use your own arguement.

"What if" you are wrong about every belief you hold as many think you are? According to you no proof is needed, it just needs to be put out there to verify it.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:01 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,685,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Uhm, no. Science is a reaction to reality so science can't create anything all by itself.
Nor can man create anything all by himself.
How do you people even manage to survive?

Old 12-02-2010, 07:16 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,564,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slambango View Post
Man created science all by himself. No gods, goblins, or zombies required.
I would assume what Mystic means is that the science that runs the Universe was not created by Man. Man did not create the four forces (eletromagnetism, strong nuclear, weak nuclear, and gravity. Granted I think all of those except gravity have been unified) or hydrogen or helium or dark energy.

So if humans did not exist science could/would still be done by whatever other intelligences exist in the Universe if such beings do exist. The source or cause of all this would be unchanged. Possibly "Nature" would have been less confusing, but I didn't think the statement was all that confusing.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:17 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,981,656 times
Quote:
I thought the point of science, for you scientifically minded types, was to find everything out the hard way, instead of taking the obvious and easy explanations.

You want it handed to you on a silver platter too?
No but wouldn't you think that if you're God and you set out to have a book ghostwritten for you that you'd want it to be the best book ever written? I mean God would know EVERYTHING, the answers to questions that we haven't even thought to ask yet. He could have added a section about quantum physics, mathematics, etc. He could have wrote something so timeless that it would blow your mind reading it.

Instead he gave us a bunch of jumbled self contradicting "limited by the times" scrawlings from Bronze Age tribesmen. God didn't create man, man created God in their own image. God hates the same people we hate, loves what we love, blesses what we want blessed etc. God was invented as explanation for the world thousands of years ago out of mankind's ignorance. The time has come for humanity to put away their childish imaginary friends.

Seriously if you met an adult and he told you he had a friend in the house with you right now. You can't see him, but your friend can "feel him." He talks to him before he goes to sleep every night and even offers him money once a week, you'd probably refer him to a mental health professional. You wouldn't feel compelled to give evidence of his non-existence despite your friend wailing ON AND ON about proof of his friend's non-existence. You certainly wouldn't create a name for your nonbelief.

But if your friend gave his imaginary friend the name "God," suddenly that makes his otherwise insane beliefs, sane.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:19 AM

Researchers in science are in the business of discovery, not creating.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:20 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,236,701 times
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar
Quote:
How do you people even manage to survive?
Apparently without science.

And what do you mean with you people?
Unlike most deists, and apparantly also atheists, I'm a nation / religion of 1.
So can't speak for other people.

BTW do you truly believe that science would still exist if all of reality suddenly stopped existing?
If so science is indeed stronger than any other deity.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:56 AM

Well your final statement seems to be true...I see lots of evidence of science, but zilch for any deity.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:01 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I would assume what Mystic means is that the science that runs the Universe was not created by Man. Man did not create the four forces (eletromagnetism, strong nuclear, weak nuclear, and gravity. Granted I think all of those except gravity have been unified) or hydrogen or helium or dark energy.

So if humans did not exist science could/would still be done by whatever other intelligences exist in the Universe if such beings do exist. The source or cause of all this would be unchanged. Possibly "Nature" would have been less confusing, but I didn't think the statement was all that confusing.
That's very good and partly the answer to the remark about constants. A little different and we couldn't exist in the universe.

Or maybe we could, but we'd be different, too. Don't be too hung up on the 'God made us this way' fallacy. We evolved and different conditions mean we turn out different. As we see today.

Need to beware of the 'Fate' fallacy. Whatever happens it was 'meant'. If you make efforts to change your fate whatever you get was 'fated' too. In fact whatever way it turns out was 'meant'. Fate is an illusion and a less reliable one than matter, or even free will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality