Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 03:50 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times

Advertisements

Moderators: please move this to the correct forum, because I wasn't certain what the right one would be.

Regardless of your beliefs, how many of you are buying into the consumerism that comes around this time every year? How many of you are going to have gifts sitting under the tree Christmas morning, followed by a big dinner with as many people as you can stuff into one house?

Personally, I'm not having any of it. No tree, no gifts. My dinner is going to be a Banquet TV dinner that I pop in the microwave. I'm already sick of the Christmas music they're playing at work (and no customers are in the store so they COULD change the channel for us, as they have done in previous years).

I'm considering bringing in a radio to work, and maybe blasting it over top of the Christmas music. I need to see if I can find some speed metal too, maybe then I can blast past the most productive guy in the department, instead of being just second best.

Christmas music is too mellow, and slows all of us down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 03:53 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,043,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Moderators: please move this to the correct forum, because I wasn't certain what the right one would be.

Regardless of your beliefs, how many of you are buying into the consumerism that comes around this time every year? How many of you are going to have gifts sitting under the tree Christmas morning, followed by a big dinner with as many people as you can stuff into one house?

Personally, I'm not having any of it. No tree, no gifts. My dinner is going to be a Banquet TV dinner that I pop in the microwave. I'm already sick of the Christmas music they're playing at work (and no customers are in the store so they COULD change the channel for us, as they have done in previous years).

I'm considering bringing in a radio to work, and maybe blasting it over top of the Christmas music. I need to see if I can find some speed metal too, maybe then I can blast past the most productive guy in the department, instead of being just second best.

Christmas music is too mellow, and slows all of us down.
I don't have the Christmas spirit, I have the Chanukah bug so just call me Hanukah harry.....lololol

But I will be sending my parents Christmas gifts.

Old 12-03-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
I don't have the Christmas spirit, I have the Chanukah bug so just call me Hanukah harry.....lololol

Moves around, doesn't it? I've heard it was particularly early this year, happening now, in fact.

Old 12-03-2010, 04:16 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post

My dad used to talk about Chanukah Harry. He also called our Christmas tree a Chanukah bush and we put the star of David at the top of it!

I love Christmas! And Chanukah! And New Year's Eve and Day! I love cooking and baking and decorating and shopping!

But to each their own!

TKramar - Have you thought about celebrating Festivus? You might enjoy that!

Old 12-03-2010, 04:21 PM

As long as it means treating it like any other day. That I can do. I don't do parties either.

Old 12-03-2010, 04:21 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
My favorite day of the year is December 26th. You'll find the christmas music stops on that day, thankfully.

Living in Southern California, it just doesn't feel like christmas when it is 72F and sunny and every TV commercial shows someone walking in the front door with snow his jacket.

Old 12-03-2010, 04:25 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,684,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post

Personally, I'm not having any of it.
Dude, we already know that you hate other humans, are antisocial, and think the whole world stinks. Good on ya, hole up by yourself and waste your feeble existence on being a sorry old grinchy grouch.

We. Don't. Care.

Especially since most of the rest of us are having a great time with our lives, and actually allow ourselves to enjoy the world. Kthxbye.

Old 12-03-2010, 04:28 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Here's some Festivus info for you!

"Happy Festivus" is the traditional greeting of Festivus a holiday featured in "The Strike" episode of Seinfeld. The episode first aired on December 18, 1997. Since then many people have been inspired by the goodness of the Seinfeld holiday and they now celebrate Festivus as any other holiday.
According to the Seinfeld model, Festivus is celebrated each year on December 23rd. However many people celebrate it other times in December and even at other times throughout the year.
The original slogan of Festivus is "A Festivus for the rest of us!" Instead of a tree an unadorned aluminum pole is used, in contrast to normal holiday materialism. Those attending Festivus may also participate in the "Airing of Grievances" which is an opportunity to tell others how they have disappointed you in the past year, followed by a Festivus dinner, and then completed by the "Feats of Strength" where the head of the household must be pinned. All of these traditions are based upon the events in the Seinfeld episode.

Old 12-03-2010, 04:42 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Sadly, I'm dreaming of a dry Christmas this year and the satellite is turned off to save money.

No beer and no TV make Chango go crazy!!!!

But on the positive side, I'm be very anti-consumerist too!

Old 12-03-2010, 05:08 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,012,342 times
this year i'am really looking forward to Christmas time because i'am going to attempt to somehow witness the solstice. needles to say i've got a whole lot more studying to do on the matter. i have no idea how to calculate it but i think it's going to be fun. i'am not going to tell my family about this unless i get too giddy a can't help it. we'll see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality