Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 12:38 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,852,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Once all diseases were thought to be the result of sin. We now know it's the result of being human and living a world that has germs, etc and various diseases. We also have ways to find the cure of diseases and that is what happens for most of them. Hopefully cancer will be the next to be cured, all of them.

BUT we also know HIV has a contagious component. If one is monogamous you will not contact it. Being promiscuous is sinful because it leads to death. All of the Ten Commandants are for our own good to stay well and happy.
Being monogamous doesn't protect you from HIV. Being celibate does. Just because you are monogomous doesn't mean your partner is. And really, condoms also help protect against HIV too. Using condoms is a lot more effective than "jeez, i hope my partner is as monogamous as I am".

Also, all of the 10 commandments are for us to stay well and be happy? Really? How does remembering the sabbath and keeping it holy keep us physically well? How does not coveting your neighbors things keep you physically well?

By the way, I am not sure if you are aware of this, but none of the 10 commandments tell you not to have sex. So why would you bring up the 10 commandments when you are talking about being monogamous as a form of HIV prevention? Not to mention the fact that there are numerous ways to contract HIV/AIDS that have nothing to do with sex. I have a friend that contracted HIV back in the late 80s from a blood transfusion.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:40 AM

33,560 posts, read 37,160,046 times
Quote:
Once all diseases were thought to be the result of sin. We now know it's the result of being human and living a world that has germs, etc and various diseases. We also have ways to find the cure of diseases and that is what happens for most of them. Hopefully cancer will be the next to be cured, all of them.

BUT we also know HIV has a contagious component. If one is monogamous you will not contact it. Being promiscuous is sinful because it leads to death. All of the Ten Commandants are for our own good to stay well and happy.
Actually sex is not the only way one can contract AIDS. Why do you think paramedics, and first aid people wear latex gloves? It is not just to protect the patient...

A person can also contract the disease through sharing needles with an infected person. AIDS can also be contracted from a blood transfusion with infected blood. A baby born to an HIV-positive mother can contract the disease from the birth canal or through breastfeeding. All of these have one thing in common. They require bodily fluids from an infected person to enter the body of an unaffected person via a cut in the skin or bodily cavity.

Aids resides in bodily fluids such as blood, semen, urine, feces and vaginal lubrication.

Read more: How Is AIDS Contracted? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5347206...#ixzz19ZwWoRSC
[/LEFT]

Old 12-30-2010, 12:48 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,523,461 times
Primitive man didn't know about germs, etc so they assumed it was a punishment. Hey, screwing around or doing drugs and then getting sick and dying is a kind of punishment. One a person beings on themselves though.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:52 AM

[quote=sanspeur;17186364]Actually sex is not the only way one can contract AIDS. Why do you think paramedics, and first aid people wear latex gloves? It is not just to protect the patient...

A person can also contract the disease through sharing needles with an infected person. AIDS can also be contracted from a blood transfusion with infected blood. A baby born to an HIV-positive mother can contract the disease from the birth canal or through breastfeeding. All of these have one thing in common. They require bodily fluids from an infected person to enter the body of an unaffected person via a cut in the skin or bodily cavity.

Aids resides in bodily fluids such as blood, semen, urine, feces and vaginal lubrication.
================================================== ================================================== =============
Of course, the innocent who has not done a thing to contact disease gets it by those who are infected. But if people were not sleeping around there would be less of the disease to contact. One cannot catch cancer. People in the health fields never needed to wear latex gloves until AIDS came along.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:11 AM

There are many other diseases that can be spread by blood transfer besides AIDS, from herpes to hepatitis C.

God has absolutely nothing to do with any of it.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:14 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,852,263 times
Quote:
Of course, the innocent who has not done a thing to contact disease gets it by those who are infected. But if people were not sleeping around there would be less of the disease to contact. One cannot catch cancer. People in the health fields never needed to wear latex gloves until AIDS came along.
LOL< okay. Now I am done with you. You have NO idea what you are talking about. I have been trying to be respectful to you, because you seemed like you generally were curious and trying to have a conversation, but when you post outright lies, I have to say something.

As someone who works in healthcare I can tell you that your statement is patently untrue. First off, one CAN catch cancer. It depends on what you mean by catching. Cancer is not communicable, no, but it can develop based on external factors. If you smoke 40 years, you will probably get lung cancer, for instance.

Also, health care workers have always taken what are known as "universal precautions" ever since we have learned that certain diseases are communicable. These include the use of rubber/latex gloves. Plus, latex gloves are NOT just to protect Health Care workers from AIDS. They protect both the healthcare worker AND The patient from numerous pathogens.

Speaking of which, you do know that you cannot get AIDS from touching someone, right? That Latex gloves are not really a precaution for HIV?

I object to your using the term "innocent" to refer to someone who got HIV from having sex, but not being promiscuous. If you had unprotected sex with ANYONE, even your spouse, you are taking a chance. How is that a case of Innocence or Guilt? That sort of social stigma that you are promoting is dangerous and wrong. It promotes ostracism and that is a horrible thing to do. Isn't one of the beatitudes that you comfort the sick? Not hold them at arms length?

Are "innocent" HIV positive people worthy of our sympathy? But "guilty ones" aren't? I don't know where your line of reasoning can end?

Old 12-30-2010, 01:16 AM

Well I am old enough to remember when my dentist never wore latex gloves. Then a woman got AIDS from her dentist. The health workers now all wear latex gloves to protect themselves as well as protecting their patients.

God has everything to do with everything. We cannot take one more breath without God. But I don't think it is a punishment from God.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
LOL< okay. Now I am done with you. You have NO idea what you are talking about. I have been trying to be respectful to you, because you seemed like you generally were curious and trying to have a conversation, but when you post outright lies, I have to say something.

As someone who works in healthcare I can tell you that your statement is patently untrue. First off, one CAN catch cancer. It depends on what you mean by catching. Cancer is not communicable, no, but it can develop based on external factors. If you smoke 40 years, you will probably get lung cancer, for instance.

Also, health care workers have always taken what are known as "universal precautions" ever since we have learned that certain diseases are communicable. These include the use of rubber/latex gloves. Plus, latex gloves are NOT just to protect Health Care workers from AIDS. They protect both the healthcare worker AND The patient from numerous pathogens.

Speaking of which, you do know that you cannot get AIDS from touching someone, right? That Latex gloves are not really a precaution for HIV?

I object to your using the term "innocent" to refer to someone who got HIV from having sex, but not being promiscuous. If you had unprotected sex with ANYONE, even your spouse, you are taking a chance. How is that a case of Innocence or Guilt? That sort of social stigma that you are promoting is dangerous and wrong. It promotes ostracism and that is a horrible thing to do. Isn't one of the beatitudes that you comfort the sick? Not hold them at arms length?

Are "innocent" HIV positive people worthy of our sympathy? But "guilty ones" aren't? I don't know where your line of reasoning can end?
I see we agree on most things though. Yes, cancer can be caught if you are saying smoking makes you "catch" cancer. I just did not put it that way. The way people live can give one cancer but I can't catch lung cancer from you.

I say innocent as in an innocent baby. A person who has only come into the world and not lived even one day I think is innocent of doing things. There are many ways to define innocent. No social stigma in being a baby.

I know you cannot catch HIV from toughing but you can get it from a needle prick from an infected person working on your teeth that goes into your blood stream. That is how the woman got it.

I amsure healthcare workers always needed to take precausions but not as much as before AIDs came along. I am old enough to know I was worked on with no gloves.

I have compassion for those who have the disease. Many religoius people are the hospice workers who help those with AIDS in thier last hours.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Well I am old enough to remember when my dentist never wore latex gloves. Then a woman got AIDS from her dentist. The health workers now all wear latex gloves to protect themselves as well as protecting their patients.

God has everything to do with everything. We cannot take one more breath without God. But I don't think it is a punishment from God.
I have been breathing for 70 years with no help from your god or anyone else's...Which god of the many thousands are you talking about anyway? In any case if a god actually existed, your chances of picking the right one are very slim.

By the way, just to correct one of your earlier statements

Quote:
Being promiscuous is sinful because it leads to death.
You are wrong that it is sinful, and it most often does NOT lead to death.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:48 AM

And many times it does. It's like Russian Roulette. If not death then it can lead to many diseases. Many of those diseases are curable now but most people still do not want to suffer from them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.