Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 01:55 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,504,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Would it be better for him to think there is no God, he's totally alone, and it's time for oblivion after a short life?
Only if he values truth.

But your response dodges my question.

When a terminal child prays for his pain to go away - not that he won't die, only that his pain will go away so that he may die in peace, what is God's response?

Does God not answer his prayers, or is God's answer "no"?

Old 12-17-2010, 04:50 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Only if he values truth.

But your response dodges my question.
In that it doesn't agree to your terms or give you the answer you want, but that's hardly the same thing. My point is the belief in God may give him more comfort in that period than anything you're selling does.

Quote:
When a terminal child prays for his pain to go away - not that he won't die, only that his pain will go away so that he may die in peace, what is God's response?

Does God not answer his prayers, or is God's answer "no"?
I'm not sure of the religious justification of this, but I don't think God directly intervenes that often. Also God at times has to look at the bigger picture.

I think I would lean toward saying the child, and those around him, should be the ones that eliminate or reduce the pain rather than expecting God to do it. However prayer and meditation can still be part of that. Even if one totally rejects the supernatural they can be part of that as endorphin releasers or what have you. (Marx's "opiate of the masses" is sometimes argued to have meant just that, that it relieves pain) If one does accept it they give the child comfort and the promise of Heaven. Catholic thinking would also traditionally add that pain has a penitential value and the child might go to Heaven.

Granted there are allegedly people who seem to believe if they're good and pray hard they will have a happy untroubled life, but that is not justified by the Bible or tradition. The life of a Christian will include pain, suffering, and possibly even painful horrible death. Partly because every life will contain pain, suffering, and the possibility of painful horrible death. Partly because the nature of Christianity is to not seeking painless comfort above all. We're supposed to be willing to suffer for others. Also we ideally have the notion of learning or dealing through the pain and the promise of Heaven.

And I know that sounds rather glib, but I've had over 200 bone fractures and went into respiratory failure a couple times. Not that I'm in pain much the last decade, but even when I was I was generally glad I was like I am rather than not. Pain is relatively simple to deal with compared to many of the complicated human dramas normal walking people face.

On a different note the people who really lose religion tend not to be those who are suffering and dying, but those who are comfortable and satisfied. Christianity certainly may not seem to add much for those as many Gospel verses speak against complacency, self-satisfaction, and the pursuit of personal wealth.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:28 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,823 times
Quote:
At the same time, we can't deny that sodomy is high-risk behavior, and that the rate of HIV is 44 times greater in the gay/bi-sexual community than in the straight community in America.

Sex without protection is a high risk behavior. The fact that HIV was higher in the gay community was not because of sodomy but because of having sex without protection. When communities started having protected sex the rate of HIV went down.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:41 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,504,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Sex without protection is a high risk behavior. The fact that HIV was higher in the gay community was not because of sodomy but because of having sex without protection. When communities started having protected sex the rate of HIV went down.
MSM (Men who have sex with men) are more likely to use condoms than straight men. Yet their HIV rate is about 44X that of a straight man.

I don't know why you deny the simple fact that anal sodomy increases the likelihood of a blood transfer which naturally increases the HIV rates.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:47 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,984,164 times
Well in Africa more hetrosexuals have got Aids than gays, and Africa has the highest aids rate in the world.

Old 12-17-2010, 12:00 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
God created the rectum to push wastes out of the human body, LMAO. Now imagine a penis inside of it, and the frequency with which the gay fellas dip in and dip out, like an exponentially atrocious case of constipation. The bleeding of the rectal walls will be so massive that infection is highly likely. It's just basic biology. And for the record, that pipe is not meant for coitus

Here's to the rectum, the most abused and oppressed entity known to human kind. To satisfy the gratification of a sexual aberration, the rectum will cry if only it had eyes

World's HIV can be drastically controlled if only the rectum was used strictly for excretionary purposes

Old 12-17-2010, 12:05 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
MSM (Men who have sex with men) are more likely to use condoms than straight men. Yet their HIV rate is about 44X that of a straight man.

I don't know why you deny the simple fact that anal sodomy increases the likelihood of a blood transfer which naturally increases the HIV rates.
Oi, I agree. It's a widely established fact that sodomy at least doubles the chances of infection.

The best part about this thread is Thomas' post. AIDS is man made. Period. Nothing to do with God.

Old 12-17-2010, 12:46 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
God created the rectum to push wastes out of the human body, LMAO. Now imagine a penis inside of it, and the frequency with which the gay fellas dip in and dip out, like an exponentially atrocious case of constipation. The bleeding of the rectal walls will be so massive that infection is highly likely. It's just basic biology. And for the record, that pipe is not meant for coitus

Here's to the rectum, the most abused and oppressed entity known to human kind. To satisfy the gratification of a sexual aberration, the rectum will cry if only it had eyes

World's HIV can be drastically controlled if only the rectum was used strictly for excretionary purposes
You know AC, your posts on this site are some of my favorite...but the "visual" that occurred while reading that ^^^ one was a little rough! Even for ME! LOL!

Anyway...it's good to see ya back around here a little more lately...hope you and the harem members are having a Merry Christmas so far.

Old 12-17-2010, 03:58 PM

5,536 posts, read 7,111,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
. . . reap what they sew.
LOLOL.

Old 12-17-2010, 04:30 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,511,066 times
I just gotta ask -- if HIV/AIDS is God's punishment for homosexuality, does that mean that Syphillis, Gonorrhea, Chlamydia, Crab Lice and other pre-HIV STC's are God's punishment for heterosexual promiscuity?

Enquiring Minds and all that, you know...

Last edited by Nighteyes; 12-17-2010 at 05:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.