Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 05:09 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,560,265 times

Advertisements

Americans Quizzed On Religion, Atheists Knew The Most - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 11:40 AM

810 posts, read 1,437,372 times
I took it and scored 13/15...not bad, not bad
BTW- NOT an atheist.

Old 12-18-2010, 01:31 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,650,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
According to you...and most of the rest of the Atheists on this board---"Religion" is pretty much "ancient myths and fairytales" about "imaginary people/entities and events".

Sooooooo...it's nice to know the Theists waste less of their life experience working on gaining knowledge about stuff like that. OTOH Atheists seem obsessed with it, from what I can see.

I can't say what's up with that...but it's an "interesting fact".
Though I submit: On that aforementioned basis, is does suggest "Theist Wisdom" as being superior to "Atheist Wisdom".

Old 12-18-2010, 01:54 PM

2,958 posts, read 2,560,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
According to you...and most of the rest of the Atheists on this board---"Religion" is pretty much "ancient myths and fairytales" about "imaginary people/entities and events".

Sooooooo...it's nice to know the Theists waste less of their life experience working on gaining knowledge about stuff like that. OTOH Atheists seem obsessed with it, from what I can see.

I can't say what's up with that...but it's an "interesting fact".
Though I submit: On that aforementioned basis, is does suggest "Theist Wisdom" as being superior to "Atheist Wisdom".
Like I said...redundancy is my speciality.

My maternal grandmother started me off on that bible BS before I was three years old. Her favorite, or at least most used term to me when I was naughty was, "Old Scratch Will Get You!". They took me with them to their church three times a week. They took me when they visited the sick and made their calls...not all the time but often.

My third and fourth grade teachers at Milan, TN assigned the class a bible verse each on Monday's and we were required to memorize them and recite them before the class on Fridays. When I hit my teens I thought I would never look back at any of that but when I married at age 22 my wife revealed to me that she was a born again Christian and I attended church with her. I was baptized before an audience(congregation) of nearly a thousand members on a Sunday morning in the spring of 1957. I never half do anything so I joined the brotherhood, worked with RA boys, taught Sunday school, went with a visitation group on Tuesday evenings, worked for vacation bible school for a few weeks each year etc. etc.

I went to surrounding towns and gave testimony in small churches and talked to youth groups for years.

I had practically committed the entire new testament to memory and used to like to quote it to folks chapter and verse. The preacher at the church we attended offered to help me get ordained as a Baptist minister to keep me out of the draft. I went to the service.

We donated 10% of our gross and contributed to special drives like building funds and Lottie Moon. My first wife and I didn't make it and we divorced in 1974. I continued with the church scene till I was about 60 years old and at that time stopped everything. I knew that if I lived to 100 I'd never believe in virgin birth, healing leprosy by touching, walkin onwater, water into fine wine, resurrection etc. I've never seen anything like that in my life and I can't believe a just and loving creator would drop by and leave the keys to the kingdom with a gang of ignorant primitives and never show up again...it's the most illogical thing I've ever heard of in my life, well...with the possible exception of "Old Scratch" getting a four year old.

The facts of the matter are that the higher IQ a person has the least apt they are to believe in ancient god worship. That's the reason atheists and agnostics know more than the believers.

I'm an old man but friend...don't ever make it sound like I didn't do my homework and pay my dues.

Last edited by Melvin.George; 12-18-2010 at 02:26 PM..

Old 12-18-2010, 03:28 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
See, grandmother again

As far as I can remember, my grandmother only bought me chocolates and crackers, ALL THE TIME

Old 12-18-2010, 05:30 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,650,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
Like I said...redundancy is my speciality.

My maternal grandmother started me off on that bible BS before I was three years old. Her favorite, or at least most used term to me when I was naughty was, "Old Scratch Will Get You!". They took me with them to their church three times a week. They took me when they visited the sick and made their calls...not all the time but often.

My third and fourth grade teachers at Milan, TN assigned the class a bible verse each on Monday's and we were required to memorize them and recite them before the class on Fridays. When I hit my teens I thought I would never look back at any of that but when I married at age 22 my wife revealed to me that she was a born again Christian and I attended church with her. I was baptized before an audience(congregation) of nearly a thousand members on a Sunday morning in the spring of 1957. I never half do anything so I joined the brotherhood, worked with RA boys, taught Sunday school, went with a visitation group on Tuesday evenings, worked for vacation bible school for a few weeks each year etc. etc.

I went to surrounding towns and gave testimony in small churches and talked to youth groups for years.

I had practically committed the entire new testament to memory and used to like to quote it to folks chapter and verse. The preacher at the church we attended offered to help me get ordained as a Baptist minister to keep me out of the draft. I went to the service.

We donated 10% of our gross and contributed to special drives like building funds and Lottie Moon. My first wife and I didn't make it and we divorced in 1974. I continued with the church scene till I was about 60 years old and at that time stopped everything. I knew that if I lived to 100 I'd never believe in virgin birth, healing leprosy by touching, walkin onwater, water into fine wine, resurrection etc. I've never seen anything like that in my life and I can't believe a just and loving creator would drop by and leave the keys to the kingdom with a gang of ignorant primitives and never show up again...it's the most illogical thing I've ever heard of in my life, well...with the possible exception of "Old Scratch" getting a four year old.

The facts of the matter are that the higher IQ a person has the least apt they are to believe in ancient god worship. That's the reason atheists and agnostics know more than the believers.

I'm an old man but friend...don't ever make it sound like I didn't do my homework and pay my dues.
You are STILL payin' em Bro'!
With every post on this board.

Maybe it's excessive radiation in your past...maybe it's just the "typical" OCD that it seems most of the Atheists on this board have about anyones' affinity for "Gods/Religion/Belief"...but I don't think most of you could stop no matter how much you wanted to.

"Old Scratch" GOT you...and STILL has you.
But don't feel bad about it...it's "natural"..."Old Scratch" (just another "handle" for God) has everybody...because "Old Scratch" IS, Everything, AND, Everybody.

Old 12-18-2010, 05:58 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,110,495 times
I got 13 out of 15 right.

Not too bad.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:53 PM

360 posts, read 444,432 times
14/15.

I missed the question about Ramadan, which was a dumb mistake for me considering I have celebrated it before.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:04 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,461,160 times
14/15. I messed up the question about who inspired the Protestant Reformation because I thought Martin Luther inspired Lutheranism because of the name. I guess I should mention I'm atheist since that's the survey comparison.

Last edited by nimchimpsky; 12-18-2010 at 08:33 PM..

Old 12-18-2010, 08:31 PM

312 posts, read 867,899 times
13/15 not too bad... and not an atheist!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality