Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 10:18 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,211,930 times

Advertisements

This thread could easily straddle religion and politics, but I placed it in the religion forum.
Hatred in America is so huge it cannot be overlooked. Hatred about race, ethnicity, religion, income, sexual behavior, social status, political views, etc.
Much hatred is generated by the religious.
Do any churches preach to their congregations that hatred is wrong and against the teachings of Jesus? I bolded the important part. I think that finding such a church is about as likely as finding albino gorillas in Alaska.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 10:24 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,890,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Do any churches preach to their congregations that hatred is wrong and against the teachings of Jesus?
You mean other than lip service?

I hate the boston celtics and the dallas cowboys and all new york teams and that has nothing to do with religion.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:31 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,830,695 times
The hatred and detestation I hold for the ex -colonists since Yorktown up to their election of the idiot Bush and don't remind me about wartime stockings is due in no small measure to the Fumdy baptist churches and....... ...sorry, I thought that was of America.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 12-20-2010 at 10:44 AM..

Old 12-20-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
You mean other than lip service?

I hate the boston celtics and the dallas cowboys and all new york teams and that has nothing to do with religion.
Yes, I forgot to add the part about lip service in the OP.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:50 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,515,345 times
Sometimes they say, "hate the sin, not the sinner", but then make it clear they really only mean that for the popular types of sin. For gays and such, you should go ahead and hate the sinner.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:14 PM

20,454 posts, read 12,838,403 times
Quote:
Do any churches preach to their congregations that hatred is wrong and against the teachings of Jesus? I bolded the important part. I think that finding such a church is about as likely as finding albino gorillas in Alaska.
Assuming you're talking about people, then yes. I belong to one.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:17 PM

118 posts, read 534,978 times
You're painting a vast cultural tradition with ridiculously broad strokes. Millions of Christians in this country believe in and practice a love and acceptance that they learned fom their religion. You filter them out because they don't meet your negative expectations.

Your criticisms of religious wrongs will become much more meaningful once they become accurate.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:18 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,593,535 times
Quote:
Yes my church. I make it very clear that we are to love all our fellow man, no matter if we disagree with them. Hatred is a value that is against the teachings of Christ and as Christians our job is to love, not hate.

Our denomination was founded on this concept, no hatred, no judgement, no exclusion's from the eucharist because we are all created equal in the eyes of God and all loved the same; no exceptions - period.

FYI the denomination is Metropolitan Community Churches.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:36 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,998,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
Yes my church. I make it very clear that we are to love all our fellow man, no matter if we disagree with them. Hatred is a value that is against the teachings of Christ and as Christians our job is to love, not hate.

Our denomination was founded on this concept, no hatred, no judgement, no exclusion's from the eucharist because we are all created equal in the eyes of God and all loved the same; no exceptions - period.

FYI the denomination is Metropolitan Community Churches.
revrandy !!! ... "Precisely Right" !

Indeed ... It appears that the person who originated this thread perhaps has never been welcomed into a Christian Church for a good old traditional Sunday Morning Service !

It could also quite possibly be that this little buddy doesn't want to open the doors of a Church and go in because it is so much easier to set behind the computer and peck away with lots of anti-Christian venom ...

Methodists, Church of Christ, Baptist, Church of God , Presbyterians, & Lutherans ..... all great Churches way, way up here on the old East Coast, or revrandy's denomination ... where ever it might be.

The OP should serious consider getting off their duff and going to Church on a Sunday morning and do it soon. You'll be glad you did !

Thanks Y"ALL / Merry "CHRIST mas" To All / Old Sgt. Lamar

Old 12-20-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Assuming you're talking about people, then yes. I belong to one.
You missed the whole OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality